BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some of you electrically minded riders, I am a little confused about how to wire up the Bushtec trailer I just bought.
On my K1200LT I have the Duantless hitch with the 4 relay isolator wired to a 5-pin plug- ground-brake-tail-left-right.
The Bushtec is wired with 4 wires ground-tail-left-right- with the brake light using both turn signals. My previous trailer had seperate turn signals. I don't have the trailer here and I purchased a new plug and soldered 5 wires to it.
What confuses me is when I go to splice this into the wires on the trailer and hook up the brake light wire to both turn signals now they are hooked together and I'm thinking they will flash simultaniously when either turn signal is activated.
Can anyone offer me a solution, is there something I can put inline (on the trailer) to prevent this?

Thank you

·
Registered
711 Posts
Trailer Wiring

Hans,

I think you're right--if you hook it up as you say, the turn signals are hooked together and act as one light. You need to keep the turn signals separate from the brake circuit. I would look into adding additional lights to the trailer so you can wire the turn signals and brakes separately.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
SilverBuffalo said:
For some of you electrically minded riders, I am a little confused about how to wire up the Bushtec trailer I just bought.
On my K1200LT I have the Duantless hitch with the 4 relay isolator wired to a 5-pin plug- ground-brake-tail-left-right.
The Bushtec is wired with 4 wires ground-tail-left-right- with the brake light using both turn signals. My previous trailer had seperate turn signals. I don't have the trailer here and I purchased a new plug and soldered 5 wires to it.
What confuses me is when I go to splice this into the wires on the trailer and hook up the brake light wire to both turn signals now they are hooked together and I'm thinking they will flash simultaniously when either turn signal is activated.
Can anyone offer me a solution, is there something I can put inline (on the trailer) to prevent this?

Thank you
If I read your problem right ? You are having the same issues that import car owners face when doing trailers ..... Simple fix.

Go to your local Auto parts house and purchase a 5 to 4 wire trailer wireing converter box.

These little converter boxs take your 5 wire output from bike, isolate turn signal circuit, split in and sends out as a 4 wire ( American standard )

I have one on my trailer too ... for the same reason as you.

Regards.
Scott

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found the solution

Thank you Motorhead.
Just like you said, at the local auto parts store, there was the solution all wired up and sealed, 5 wires going in 4 coming out, all of that for $12.95.
And I have been burning brain cells for 2 days trying to figure this out.
Who'da thunk it could be that easy.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Interesting note on the Bushtec wiring. On both my Bushtecs, there was a ground, tail, right signal, left signal, brake. The brake lights use the tail light brake filament (dual filament bulbs like many US cars). Questions about Bushtecs can be called in to Bushtec directly. They'll even send you an owner's manual if you don't have one. You DO NEED the isolator when hooking up a trailer to a BMW

1 - 5 of 5 Posts