BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...the other thread was dead.

Is there a 24K service? Or is it just a standard 12k Service? After calling my dealership and being told 1100.00 to do it....I am reverting here to get the assistance from you all.

Is there a DVD out there I can buy, borrow, burn? I used to do everything on my RT, and I know this is a different Critter...but I feel I can buy a lift, tools, parts, and material and still come in WAY under the 1100.00 AND still have tools left over...haha. Please advise!!

Also, I have a front seal leak apparently on the "drivers" side up front on the bottom of the engine. Carolina BMW told me it might be a 4ounce leak over 10k miles so not real severe...but since I will have it completely apart to do service I will go ahead and take care of that as well.

I am wanting to go ahead and deal with the slave cylinder "weep" hole as well.

There was talk about 16June07 having a tech session in Denver...but that is obviously dead as people can't commit or follow-thru. So.. if I can PAY someone INDIVIDUALLY to come out and assist...or borrow DVD etc.

If you can't assist, but KNOW what tools and things I will need I would love a list.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Tech session here in D/FW area on 09 June at Bo's (Texas42) place.

Search "Munster Garage" for further.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Um...no thanks!

Thanks Tony...but no thanks...haha.

I have ridden just at 8k miles in last 30days..and I am tired of riding. I know I know...that is unheard of...but I am BEAT!.

My baby needs her 24k(12K) done, she needs her seat sent back for a rebuild, she needs her topbox fixed...and NOW I need a CB mast...not the connection..just the wire mast that comes out. (you remember...yup...finally lost it)

So anything CLOSER I am up for, or just the list of parts, supplies, tools, and DVD and I can handle this bad boy.

I am however buying a lift like yours this week.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I think one of the Munster Garage posts has a 12k parts list.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I just ordered a set of the DVDs for myself. . .

·
Registered
461 Posts
The 6K and 12K just keep alternating regardless of actual mileage. You are getting a 12K at 24K miles. Just had a 12K done at 24K mileage myself, and it was about $1100, but I had a lot of extra work done. A 12K around here is usually about $600 or so.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I am about to do the 36k on my LT and have been looking for a source of the required parts. I found this on the Beemerbone yard site. It seems to include everything except the fluids.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
astuber said:
I am about to do the 36k on my LT and have been looking for a source of the required parts. I found this on the Beemerbone yard site. It seems to include everything except the fluids.
Great find, Alan. And pricing is great also, even if there is shipping added.

Only thang I would add would be to have a new cylinder head cover gasket at the ready, since a valve adjustment 'check' is called for. Just in case the current one gets buggered at removal. I know some folks clean up the current one and re-use it. Sort of a pita to pick out the old gasket goop, butt if done carefully and the gasket doesn't get nicked, then I suppose it's ok to re-use. Me - I just like new for old when it comes to ole Toad gettin' a physical.

Thanks again for the tip, Alan.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
16 June looks like it'll be happening up here in Casper, not Denver.

12K - yea, we should be able to do most, if not all of that. Have the manual here - most tools. No lift. Dunno if we're going to be doing any swing arm pulls for weep holes, but if anyone is feeling froggy :cool:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,925 Posts
One item that is unique at the 24K is the fuel filter change, other than that it is the same as a 12K.

·
Registered
124 Posts
12-24 K service

I just had the 12K done on a new to me 2000 LT at an independent BMW only shop for $720. The dealer would have been a grand easy. My 2003 RS will go back to the same shop this week for the 24K plus a leaking right fork seal.

I use the dealer 100% while under warrenty and buy most of my gear there but the labor rate difference of $60 vs. $96 an hour is tough to justify. Plus I prefer to deal with the actual mechanic rather than the service writer or manager. I don't do much work on them except most fluids but bought a new Clymers manual on E bay for about $30. It covers both the RS and LT up to 2005.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hey all,

I started the Denver Tech session item.

It is good to see we are on. I would be happy to ride up from denver to Casper with anyone who wants to go.

If someone is trailering their bike :eek: I would be happy to throw my jack and other tools not available in to the truck. If not, I will be ridding up to Casper.

Maybe we could get some details fleshed out?

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
I'm with Dick on the valve cover gasket replacement. That might be the source of your leak anyway. Pick up a good brand of black RTV silicone sealant for the gasket. You don't need to put sealant on the complete surface of the gasket either, just put it on sharp corners near the ends of the camshafts.

Another thing to be aware of is the fuel filter replacement. The filter, if it is stock or replaced at a dealer, probably has crimp clamps vrs. screw clamps. Many on this forum replace them with screw clamps. I suggest you either carefully re-crimp the originals with a pair of diagonal wire cutters (self explanatory when you see it), or drop by an auto parts store and buy two screw clamps for 5/16-3/8 inch neoprene fuel hose. If you don't do tis you risk having the fuel pump pressure pop a line off the filter and you are dead in the water. BTW, the correct tool for the crip clamps is a tool for CV joint boots like this. I bought one and some spare clamps for my Level -2 services.

If you are serious about maintaining your own machine I suggest getting a HandyLift. I bought one almost 3 years ago and have done all my own service since 36k. Doing it myself has afforded me to do many upgrades (suspension, sound system and GPS to name a few) for pennies, as well as give me confidence in the machine itself. Good luck, and if you need anything ping me, or some of the others that DIY, off line and we will help where we can.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
mowoc said:
Hey all,

I started the Denver Tech session item.

It is good to see we are on. I would be happy to ride up from denver to Casper with anyone who wants to go.

If someone is trailering their bike :eek: I would be happy to throw my jack and other tools not available in to the truck. If not, I will be ridding up to Casper.

Maybe we could get some details fleshed out?
Aye! Good call.
Started a thread in the regional forums just for that:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=185894

·
Registered
154 Posts
Private shop in Denver

Pete is great on BMW's I had 36k (12k) service done last summer at about 60% of the cost of the dealers. I love my dealers but I am a poor man who doesn't want to risk doing it myself.

Bavarian Motorcycles West Of Colorado

2312 S Delaware

Denver, CO 80223-4321

(720) 570-2044

·
Registered
783 Posts
Hey Bill, if you do the 24K yourself, please update with your results. I just bought a new GT, and have the BMW maintenance DVD on order. I hope to do a lot of the work myself, but I'm not all that experienced with mechanical work. I did my share "back on the farm" as a kid, but not engine work. Hopefully my youngest son, who wants to be a car mechanic, can benefit too.

Anyway, I'd just like to hear how it went from someone with similar experience.

·
Registered
187 Posts
OK, I am getting ready for this.

1. I ordered the beemer boneyard 12k kit.
2. I know I need hydraulic fluid. Other than Dot 4, any suggestions?
3. I will make sure the have some good Black RTV
4. I will stop and get a couple of fuel hose clamps.
5. I changed the oil at 10k, so I don't think I need to do that again, do I?
6. I know I need Dif fluid for the Rear end, what spec? I think I have 75/90 at home.
7. What type of oil goes in the "gear box"?
8. Anything else?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
List

Please Itemize a list for me.... OUTSIDE of the Beemerbone yard kit.

I will be in there...so would like to be able to change and replace everything that I possibly can while in there. I didn't see fuel filters on bby.com.

I will get fluids as well. All fluids in my bike are around 3k miles. I will change all again, just do learn how to do it.

I am working on shift swap to get to Casper.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts