BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one of the new LT's with the Xenon headlight option. The low beam stopped working. My dealer has contacted BMW NA, other dealers in town, the national dealer email alias, and no one seems to know what lamp to use in replacing this.

BMW called for an H7, 55W 12V bulb, but of course that would be for a non-Xenon unit. The maintenance manual was printed in Aug of 2005 and does not reference Xenon.

I think I will just pull out what's in there and see if there is a part number on the one currently in place.

Oh, I checked the fuse asnd according to the 8/05 manual, the headlight is on the same circuit as the tail light, which is working, so I am ruling out a fuse issue.

I suppose there could be a relay in between? The bike only has 1500 miles, so seems a little early for bulb failure.

Just trying to think through all the possible causes. Ideas welcomed.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,565 Posts
Contact HIDS Online http://www.hidsonline.com/ and see if they can get you a replacement. My guess is the housing is the same regardless of lighting choice so a H7 HID bulb should work. That's weird that tey don't have them in stock and/or don't know how to get them.
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
13,781 Posts
I would look deeper into the system as HID bulbs don't "burnout" they don't have an "element" but maintain an arc. Over time metal deposits collect on the quartz globe and cause heating that will eventually cause a bulb failure. Most likely you have an ignitor failure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
499 Posts
jzeiler said:
Most likely you have an ignitor failure.
I agree with John, either that or a loose connection or a bad relay. When you turn on the bike can you hear the ignitor "fire" for the low beam, it has a distinct sound, turn on your high beam to compare. If you hear it fire it still could be bad but if you don't hear it i'd check the connections and the relay.

I wonder where BMW burried them, most likely under the gas tank! ;)

Dave
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for your ideas.

Here are a couple photos. Now that I have been up underneath the headlight, I see that 1) it looks quite different from the diagram in the manual and 2) I have no idea how to get the bulb out of there.

I turned on the ignition to listen for the relay/igniter firing, but on my LT, there are a whole lot of noises popping when I turn the key (ABS sensor, fuel pump and whatever else). When I flash the high beam or turn it on, I do not hear any specific noise as it lights up. I think the high beam (which works) is still that same H4 bulb as a non-Xenon LT, only the low beam is Xenon.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
I have an '06 too.

I was playing around inside one of the front turn signal areas to find out what the unused and tied-off connector in the wiring does. Did the wrong thing and shorted it, and the low beam headlight went away.

The low beam headlight fuse is #5, in the #1 fuse box. It's a 7.5 amp. Wouldn't hurt to check that one.

Oh, and the tied-off connector is 12V, on with the ignition, so I suppose it's there for the non-existent turn signal running light for each side.

And, finally, I seem to recall seeing a warning label of some sort on or near that metal housing that's part of the Xenon light, and it mentioned something about high voltage. Please take appropriate caution.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Solution to Xenon not working: fuse

We have a winner, and it is CriticalMass! Thank you very much for the specific guidance. I recently replaced the front turn signal bulbs with yellow lights, and clear lenses over the top. I suspect I nudged something and caused a short similar to what you experienced. I replaced the fuse and voila, all is good.

Doesn't solve the issue that neither the dealers nor the factory seem to know how to go about replacing the Xenon unit if it does fail, but at least I am not riding in the dark while they are working on it ;-). I'll share the outcome when I get the info from the dealer.

I truly appreciate everyone's time and advice on this one, and who pointed out that early bulb failure was not the most probable cause.

Thank you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
running lights

CriticalMass said:
I have an '06 too.
Oh, and the tied-off connector is 12V, on with the ignition, so I suppose it's there for the non-existent turn signal running light for each side.

Have you looked into replacing the socket & bulb to give you running lights?
I understand it's the same socket as the brake light w/1157 bulb. I was installing my HID's this weekend & noticed that 3rd wire also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
MattyK said:
Have you looked into replacing the socket & bulb to give you running lights? I understand it's the same socket as the brake light w/1157 bulb. I was installing my HID's this weekend & noticed that 3rd wire also.
I've been researching it. According to the description here, it is the same socket, but it's necessary to enlarge the existing hole to make it fit. "Run-n-Lites" makes what appears to be a "plug-n-play" socket, but there's nothing anywhere, including the "Run-n-Lites" web site, to indicate which year models it will fit. Maybe it will fit all of them, but who knows? That's not the case with many of these aftermarket mods. I wish these vendors would be more specific in their descriptive information.

I'm tempted to try the "rear socket" mod route, although I don't like cutting and hacking on a new bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,402 Posts
CriticalMass said:
I'm tempted to try the "rear socket" mod route, although I don't like cutting and hacking on a new bike.
That stopped me from doing it to my 2001 LT for a long time, then I got over it. A Dremel tool makes it easy. After you have done it a few times, it is no longer 'hacking', but simply 'modification.' :)

Also, you can get some universal type sockets from AutoZone that just snap in, no cutting required.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
munson said:
That stopped me from doing it to my 2001 LT for a long time, then I got over it. A Dremel tool makes it easy. After you have done it a few times, it is no longer 'hacking', but simply 'modification.' :)
I know, I know. It just takes time....I'll get there. :eek:

Also, you can get some universal type sockets from AutoZone that just snap in, no cutting required.
Funny you should mention that - I was just gonna' go out this afternoon and look around at the autoparts places. Thanks for the pointer - maybe I'll have that "unused and tied off" connector in use soon!:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
MattyK said:
I'll check around also. It should be an easy mod.
After installing my HID's, I feel a little more comfortable with disassembly & drilling holes into the LT.
Turn signal running lights'r-us, here, I'm proud to announce!

'06LT, and I think this would apply to the '05s, at least, on "Munson's" prompting, I visited my friendly, neighborhood Autozone this afternoon. After measuring the diameter of the turn signal socket diameter (1 1/8"), I went to see what's available.

I bought 2 ea Autozone PN 85860, "Universal Turn & Stop Socket w/Ground Tab", made in China, if you please, and 2 1157 bulbs, and, by Jimminey, I've got running lights!



Took me a few minutes to figure out which wire on the socket went to turn signal or running light, but, it's done. I'm sooooo pleased! Thanks, Munson! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
You obviously had better luck than I did. You couldn't get an easier and more functional modification. Looks good too!
Did you have to do any alterations to the hole in the lense ass'y, or just a simple plug n play?
Also... that PN you quoted, is that the # on the socket, or is that an Auto zone #. I don't believe we an auto zone in Canada, but it may be a common item under that same #.

Thanks ...... Kim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,402 Posts
Universal socket

MattyK said:
You obviously had better luck than I did. You couldn't get an easier and more functional modification. Looks good too!
Did you have to do any alterations to the hole in the lense ass'y, or just a simple plug n play?
Also... that PN you quoted, is that the # on the socket, or is that an Auto zone #. I don't believe we an auto zone in Canada, but it may be a common item under that same #.

Thanks ...... Kim
Here's a pic of the socket.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,402 Posts
HID on the way

DavidTaylor said:
Contact HIDS Online http://www.hidsonline.com/ and see if they can get you a replacement. My guess is the housing is the same regardless of lighting choice so a H7 HID bulb should work. That's weird that tey don't have them in stock and/or don't know how to get them.
And your post got me to order my HID kit. Sweetpea and I were riding home last night, and she was behind me on her Burgman. It has two 55w head lights, and I could see my shadow in front of me! That did it. HID on the way! Thanks! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
munson said:
And your post got me to order my HID kit. Sweetpea and I were riding home last night, and she was behind me on her Burgman. It has two 55w head lights, and I could see my shadow in front of me! That did it. HID on the way! Thanks! :D
Thanks Munson for the pic.

I just installed the hidsonline hi/lo kit this past weekend. I used the instructions that came with the kit as well as raffeys. If you go with the hidsonline option and want a couple other tips, let me know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
MattyK said:
Did you have to do any alterations to the hole in the lense ass'y, or just a simple plug n play?
That's the beauty of it - the socket has those springy extensions you can see in the image Munson posted, and they just go into the hole in the lens housing as a friction fit, no cutting required. I did bend the extensions on the socket in a little, so they went into the hole a little easier, but, it's a piece of cake.

Also... that PN you quoted, is that the # on the socket, or is that an Auto zone #. I don't believe we an auto zone in Canada, but it may be a common item under that same #.
Yes, sorry, I should have been more clear on that. It's the pn printed on the item cardboard backing - not an Autozone #. On the front of the card, it carries the label "Conduct Tite!" with a little lightning bolt between those 2 words. I Googled it, and they're apparently sold many places, like Pep Boys. I bet there are similar products out there that would do the same job - all that's required is a generic socket with the friction fit design that fits a 1 1/8" hole, which is sort of standard, I think, and which uses an 1157 bulb.

Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,402 Posts
MattyK said:
Thanks Munson for the pic.

I just installed the hidsonline hi/lo kit this past weekend. I used the instructions that came with the kit as well as raffeys. If you go with the hidsonline option and want a couple other tips, let me know.
I love tips! Send 'em on. :)
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top