BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It wasnt clear in my prior posting...........and I got no responses (at least not related to what I needed).

I have an LT with NO grip assembly or heating element at all on the left handlebar tube......just the bare tube with the heating element wire hanging out............I bought it this way.

On the right / throttle side I have a working heated grip with chrome trim on the inside edge and bar end.

I need to either find a matching left side chrome trimmed heated grip assembly .........OR............need BOTH left and right Grips without chrome trim.

But,.........before I can do anything.....I will need to know how to remove the throttle side grip assembly........and........how to install both the left and right assemblies.

Brian in Austin

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I'm still not clear on what you are dealing with exactly, a picture would probably help.

As far as removing the heated grips the grips themselves come of pretty easy,
it's the wiring that gets labor intensive,
the wires are plugged in under the stingray,
which means removing both sides of the tupperware and the handlebar covers
then loosening the stingray cover just to unplug the wires

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive tried to upload pics twice before posting and after........not working. Simple really. No heated grip assembly.............just the bare handlebar tube beyond the switchgear.

·
Registered
370 Posts
When uploading pictures you have to make sure the size is smaller than what it comes from the camera. Open the picture in Microsoft picture manager or similar ( right click on picture for options under "open with")

Change size to under 1000 X ###. example; my picture might download from camera at 3072 x 2304. I open it with a picture manager, click on picture from top pull down menu and go to resize. If you go with a percent ratio option just downsize it to under 1000. Save it and then upload it to your post. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Brian,

I have not removed the throttle side, but I have replaced the entire heated grip on the clutch side. It is held on by 2 Phillips head screws....one on top and one on the bottom. In order to see them, the rubber has to be folded back slightly. The worst part of the job is getting at the wiring connector. I did the job in conjunction with a 12k service while I had the tank off. The wire runs through the handlebar tube and then to the connector in front of and slightly to the left of the tank. This connector is a nylon type and extremely difficult to remove and replace the wires. Both grip sides go into the one connector. By the time I finished, I ended up replacing the whole thing with an easier style from the local electronics shop.

I used stainless safety wire attached to the existing wiring as I pulled the old wiring through the bars, so that I could easily feed the new wires back forward.

Hope that helps,

Ron

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
wildwestrider said:
Ive tried to upload pics twice before posting and after........not working. Simple really. No heated grip assembly.............just the bare handlebar tube beyond the switchgear.
The left side heated grip is basically a sleeve with a rubber handgrip on it,
held in by two phillips screws just under the " edge of the "inside" edge of the rubber.
The right side has the throttle cables attached and (going from memory)
there is a phillips screw underneath the plastic switch cover that holds that in place.
does that help?

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
SilverBuffalo said:
The left side heated grip is basically a sleeve with a rubber handgrip on it,
held in by two phillips screws just under the " edge of the "inside" edge of the rubber.
The right side has the throttle cables attached and (going from memory)
there is a phillips screw underneath the plastic switch cover that holds that in place.
does that help?
Hans - I managed to send him an e-mail scan of the instructions for both handlebar grip R&R. I heard he got the left side ok, butt the right side scanned upside down, so he's prolly wonderin' whazzup with that!! :rolleyes: ;)

Sure sounds like that boy needs a shop manual - a Clymers or a legit OEM. I'm trying to figger out what he bought, in what condition? :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts