BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,157 Posts
Hi Yair, try www.swmototires.com. They have great prices and ship VERY promptly. Shipping charge is $14 if you just buy one tire, and free if you buy 2 tires.

My local Italian bikes store charges $20.00 cash for mounting and balancing, and disposal of your old tire.

·
Registered
71 Posts
thru Harbour freight you can get a tire changer for about 70 bucks, then get some tire spoons, the larger ones for sure, and a Static Balancer and do them yourself, i did mine yesterday in about an hour 1/2 and learned a little more about the bike, the tricky part is the removal of the front disc brakes, but that still only took a couple of minutes to wiggle them out, the more work you do on your own bike, the less likely you'll be stranded anywhere that you may be able to fix yourself, unless something MAJOR, i put on the AVON Storm's, what an improvement from te Metzlers, but i am early on in the life of these tires, The old tire on the front of the LT was horrible, it had bulges/was cupping real bad, and of course was never balanced from the dealer last, but this time around it is right on, Thanks again to the BMWBMW.org crew for their help and time given for this very fun tire tech day. :bmw:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Yup, HF has their tire changers on sale NOW though 29 May:

PN 34542 Portable Tire Changer, reg $69.99, sale $29.99
PN 42927 Motorcycle Tire Changer Attachment, reg $49.99, sale $39.99

Pick them up in a store, and save shipping!

[I HAVE NO RELATIONSHIP WITH HF OTHER THAN AS A RETAIL CUSTOMER]

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
coug66 said:
I think I will buy them, but the prices I found were $30 higher for the two?

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=42927&Submit=Go

can you post the link to the special prices?

I would buy them today.

Ian
The price is a sale circular I received in the snail mail. In the attachments below is a scan of the item listing at the sale price, and the expiry date banner. I imagine you can contact them tomorrow and they'll tell you how to get the sale price.

HTH

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Balance the tire with tire beads.

Thank you for those prices I can recoup my money in a little more than replacing one set of tires.

I have a friend who helped me mount and balance a rear single sided Aprilia Futura tire on this machine and it looked very straight forward. It cost me a 24 pack of Corona. I also felt like he was doing me a favor and he didn't owe me any favors. I also hate going to the delaer to have him mount my tires when I didn't buy them from him.

The challenge to me was the balancing. The other side was after it was balanced I noticed a month later one of the weights flew off.

The balancing is a big concern to me but with the tire beads I think I can work it out. cleaner rim and no worry about loss of the weights.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/motorcycle.htm

This seems easy enough for me

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I have the Marc Parnes balancer (Clickety Click). A friend came by Friday and used the mounting device to change his rear tire and the balancer worked well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts