BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys...my girlfriend got me the PIAA light kit with the 1100 model lights for Christmas. I'm not sure if I really want those lights because I am interested in more low beam lighting. Anyone have some suggestions?

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
If you don't have an HID installed, that's your first move. Here's the vendor that I prefer for aftermarket kits. The year of your LT would determine which kit you order. If it's a pre-'05 LT, you'd want this kit. Just stick with the 5000K color temp. Any higher and it gets too blue, IMO.

That HID and the PIAAs will be an excellent start to more visibility for you, and oncoming cagers.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
Low beam HID will do that for you. http://www.cqlight.ca/product_info.php?cPath=32_45&products_id=69 If your bike is 99-04 you'll want the H7 5000K Motorcycle HID Kit. At $99.00 it is even cheaper than when I bought mine last October
Then mount the PIAAs under the cowl, aimed low, and turned ON all the time to provide triangulation. You may want to get the mounting kit from Raffy if you haven't already purchased one.
You will enjoy being able to see at night, and having cars move out of you way will be an additional treat...:D

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
messenger13 said:
If you don't have an HID installed, that's your first move. Here's the vendor that I prefer for aftermarket kits. The year of your LT would determine which kit you order. If it's a pre-'05 LT, you'd want this kit. Just stick with the 5000K color temp. Any higher and it gets too blue, IMO.

That HID and the PIAAs will be an excellent start to more visibility for you, and oncoming cagers.
Jeez, do you ever move away from the keyboard???:eek:
Beat my by 3 minutes this time...!:p

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
emerickm said:
OK guys...my girlfriend got me the PIAA light kit with the 1100 model lights for Christmas. Anyone have some suggestions?
Yes!!! Keep her!!!;) :D

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
zippy_gg said:
Jeez, do you ever move away from the keyboard???:eek:
Beat my by 3 minutes this time...!:p
Don't worry buddy. You're plenty fast enough for an LT rider. :rotf: Your speed will improve immensely once you buy that GT you keep drolling over.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
messenger13 said:
Don't worry buddy. You're plenty fast enough for an LT rider. :rotf: Your speed will improve immensely once you buy that GT you keep drolling over.
Do you really think that it will make type faster???:rolleyes: :D

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I have to agree with the HID option. Have it on my bike, and it lights up the night!

I also have a set of 1100 lamps installed under the cowling. I have been told by riding buddies that they can certainly see me, but they cannot see my front turn signals due to all of the light. I may relocate to the forks to resolve this, or may just get another set for the forks and not worry about it. :D

emerickm said:
OK guys...my girlfriend got me the PIAA light kit with the 1100 model lights for Christmas. I'm not sure if I really want those lights because I am interested in more low beam lighting. Anyone have some suggestions?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have the BMR under mirror brackets from Motogrea44you

I've got 1100 pia's wired and aimed as low beams - and they light up the city road fine, and get me seen ... I wish the light were more focused (less dispersed). In any case, they work, if you get them aimed well.

I avoided getting HIDs in the city for no other reason than not wanting to distract oncoming traffic... but will probably correct that decision, perhaps move the 1100's to under the cowling and get something with a better beam for under the mirrors / low beam.

In the city, I believe that high/wide light pair on the mirrors (always on) really helps others see me.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
emerickm said:
While I agree with the HID replacement for the LOW beam should be your first consideration for adding more lumens to your LT I would NOT recommend getting a 5000K lamp. I recommend a 4100K lamp.

I have a 4100K low and a Chinese 5000K high beam. I was attracted by the low price. My low beam vendor was HID-Online and the quality of the equipment, overall effectiveness of the light output, the ease of install make that my choice. The technical advantage of the 4100K lamp is worth the extra money. The reason the 5000k lamp is cheaper is because it is easier to produce.. I thought it would not make any difference but it does..

JM2CW

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
The PIAA's will give lots of good light. You won't be sorry you added them and you'll please the lady who gave them to you... Mine came with a relay so I turn them on/off as needed. They do a good job of increasing your "conspicuosity" ... by helping create the "triangle" of lights. Next you can add Motolights to further light the road... and increase the "triangle of light".

Of course, leading the way with the "HID" will help. And try to get as close to "white" light on the hid... 4500 seems to be the "target" capsule..

·
Registered
324 Posts
Ditto Jack on the HIDs. Did the same thing.

I have the PIAA's, nothing wrong with them other than, as with all bulbs, they do tend to burn out and are almost $50 each to replace. Done that twice in 60K miles.

If I had it to do over I would go with caliper mount Moto-Lights. Just as bright IMHO + Free bulbs for life and if you do get stuck buying one they are only about $5-$7 to replace. (no affiliations)

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
jackd said:
While I agree with the HID replacement for the LOW beam should be your first consideration for adding more lumens to your LT I would NOT recommend getting a 5000K lamp. I recommend a 4100K lamp.

I have a 4100K low and a Chinese 5000K high beam. I was attracted by the low price. My low beam vendor was HID-Online and the quality of the equipment, overall effectiveness of the light output, the ease of install make that my choice. The technical advantage of the 4100K lamp is worth the extra money. The reason the 5000k lamp is cheaper is because it is easier to produce.. I thought it would not make any difference but it does..

JM2CW
I have stock 4100K in my BMW 740iL, and had 4100K on my LT. I wanted to upgrade my BMW 525i, so searched for 4100K again, but they are much harder to find. I reluctantly bought 5000K, and so my surprise they are not bad at all. Only slightly bluer than the 4100's. A friend has 6000K in his car, but they are a LOT bluer! To my eyes, 4100 is great,5000 is very good, anything bluer is not.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
grifscoots said:
Hey, what's 900 lumen's twixt friends?
Actually it is not lumens.. It is the wavelength of the light. I'm pretty sure they are about the same lumens.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
dshealey said:
I have stock 4100K in my BMW 740iL, and had 4100K on my LT. I wanted to upgrade my BMW 525i, so searched for 4100K again, but they are much harder to find. I reluctantly bought 5000K, and so my surprise they are not bad at all. Only slightly bluer than the 4100's. A friend has 6000K in his car, but they are a LOT bluer! To my eyes, 4100 is great,5000 is very good, anything bluer is not.
With both on at the same time there is a noticeable difference. The 4100K appears very white and strong and the 5000K is light blue. You can see the beam pattern very pronounced. It does not mix.

I guess the cost factor is driving the 4100K out of the market. I don't understand the technicalities..

·
Cat Herder
1,445 Posts
PIAA's

Put the PIAA lights on.. You will be glad you did. Theres no substitute for a Sh*t load of light!!! ;)

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
grifscoots said:
Hey, what's 900 lumen's twixt friends?
It is not Lumens Grif. Lumens is a measure of light output. Kelvin Temperature is a measure of color. For 35 watt automotive HID lights, when the Kelvin Temperature goes up, Lumens output goes down. In this case, bigger is NOT better. :D

·
Registered
235 Posts
Now if price is no option.....here's what you want. I did a 4100K HID low beam and the Hella, HID micro DE's for aux. I mounted them under the tip over bumpers. Talk about bright. Talk about an excellent triangle of light and visibility, nothing better. I do very little riding after dark, but when I have they make it seem like high noon on a sunny day. They are on all the time when I ride. 49,000 lit miles in the past 20 months and still going strong. Got them from Raffy's accessory site, roughly $650.00 but IMHO, worth every single penny I paid for them! Of course if you're into dropping the beast once a week you might want to find another mounting location.

Dick

1 - 20 of 22 Posts