BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my old pivot arm off of the hex bar, it probably is a pretty hard part to locate. I may have to have one fabricated unless anyone know where I can get one. I think the left and right side are symmetrical.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Couple folks have made replacements using plexiglass. Copy the good one and flip it over.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
ron44094 said:
I finally got my old pivot arm off of the hex bar, it probably is a pretty hard part to locate. I may have to have one fabricated unless anyone know where I can get one. I think the left and right side are symmetrical.

Thanks!
To make sure we're talking about the same item, I've attached a pic.

They are symmetrical, and interchangeable from side to side. There is a slight slant to the small middle hole for the spring 'tail' insert. I made several replacements out of a small sheet of 1/4" Lexan. My local glass installing company had some remnant pieces of Lexan that they sold me - couple of 12x12" pieces for $25 total. If you have a good profiled pivot arm from the undamaged side, then a small sabre saw and a good Dremel tool with proper cutting wheels should get you a relatively inexpensive replacement. Edge-finishing touches are easy with the Dremel sanding tube.
If you're not in a real big hurry, I may still have a couple left from my last project. It'll take me a couple of days to get to their location, but I'll be glad to look if you're interested. We can go to PMs to work out details later.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Dick,
I remembered it was you that made the parts but didn't want to volunteer your services. :) Kinda knew you would do that. :wave

·
Registered
243 Posts
If you have both pieces a good welder can put it together and make it stronger than it ever was. That's what I did when mine broke last summer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dick, I saw your post from a year or so ago! The pic you are showing me is for the upper adjustment arm. My lower adjustment arm is broke, that is the one that connects to the hex rod at the lower end of the unit.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
ron44094 said:
Dick, I saw your post from a year or so ago! The pic you are showing me is for the upper adjustment arm. My lower adjustment arm is broke, that is the one that connects to the hex rod at the lower end of the unit.
Gotcha - missed the 'hex' rod part. Glad you caught my mistook!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts