BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi gang....i mentioned in a earllier post that this year my riding partner and i are going from atlanta to glacier...i'm told that if we go that far we should go to jasper and banff...we're going the last two weeks of june so the weather is a concern...any thoughts on what to see, how to go, where to stay...i need to get back by the 4th of july..

smith
'05 dark graphite
greensboro, nc

·
Just ridin'
5,297 Posts
Smith said:
hi gang....i mentioned in a earllier post that this year my riding partner and i are going from atlanta to glacier...i'm told that if we go that far we should go to jasper and banff...we're going the last two weeks of june so the weather is a concern...any thoughts on what to see, how to go, where to stay...i need to get back by the 4th of july..

smith
'05 dark graphite
greensboro, nc
You might look at the website we put together for our Jasper gathering in June. We put together some suggested rides and other information. The group will be in Jasper June 23-26. The Fairmont has offered some good rates for a very nice hotel. My wife and I are going through Glacier, Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks on the way home.

·
Registered
308 Posts
By all means make the ride up through Banff to Jasper, the Ice Fields Parkway is a magnificent ride. There are many beautiful places to stop along the way, Johnson Canyon, Lake Louise and Peyto Lake are a few. I rode up last year at the end of May on my way to Prudhoe, the weather was perfect and the roads in good condition. Have fun.

-Chuck-

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
You should definitely see Banff, Jasper, Lake Louise, and many other great scenic spots in the Canadian rockies. The weather is usually great from mid May till the end of August. the highways are usually in good condition and you will enjoy the ride.
Have fun and drive safe......
Cheers,
Jim :bmw: :dance: :dance:

·
Registered
368 Posts
I visited the Banff/Jasper area two years ago in a round trip from Calgary, up to Banff and then Jasper, down to Vancouver, then Vancouver Island, Seattle, Spokane, Missoula, Glacier and finally Calgary again. One of the best trips I've ever done, too bad that we couldn't ride because the kid was/is still too young for that.

The Iceway parkway from Calgary to Jasper is superb, just visit the website of the two parks for info on scenic places, there're a lot along the way.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just remember your long johns! We did the drive last August long weekend and it was 32 F / 0 C and chilly on the legs.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Uhm... You're right on that. My friend in Calgary reported some snow in early June last year... :))

·
Registered
495 Posts
BTW - there's a great Pub just south of the Columbia icefields - they hve fuel for the bike too ;). Careful about how you head home, Calgary can have REALLY bad weather (are we in Kansas??).

I don't think there's a better place to ride than BC & Alberta...

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Yeah, what they all said. PLUS take lots of memory for your digital camera.

We did the Canadian Rockies run in 03, Glacier in 02. Fabulous riding/scenery!

Take some warm clothes if you are going to spend time at the ice fields.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Smith said:

smith
'05 dark graphite
greensboro, nc

I was in Jasper in July 1 -4, 1974 on my newly acquired 750 BM. Woke up the first morning with 6" of snow on the ground, and a bit chilly in the tent. Had to wait until noon for the snow to melt on the highway. Very cool ride between Jasper and Banff, but the scenery more than made up for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts