BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: Ex winger looking to convert.
:bmw: Bike: '99 with 60k miles very clean
Price: $6200
Questions:
How $ is 60K service.
Is this a decent price for the bike?

How do I ride a bike and not stop to eat every hour (goldwing humor)?

I appreciate all replies.

Michael in Murphy

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Michael,

I'm relatively new myself, but, I would suggest reading through some of the FAQ in this forum.

The 12k service intervals are roughly $700+/-. If the bike has the maintenance history, 60K is not too many miles.

The price sounds about right for the time of year.

Welcome to the best ride you'll ever have...

Joe

·
Registered
237 Posts
Go to www.kbb.com
On the left side of the window, toward the bottom, click "Motorcycles"
Drill your way down to the year, make, and model. You will find a significant difference between the "Standard", "Icon" (Standard + computer, grip heat, CD changer...), and "Custom" (Icon + Chrome doo-dads).

If this is from a dealer, use the retail price. My rule of thumb for buying from a private party is that fair market value is about half-way between trade-in and retail. Adjust this for mileage, condition, and regional variation/market demand.

For another opinion, here is Motorcycle Consumer News' value guide from last Novemer. Again, adjust for condition and regional variation.
http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/usedbike/NovUsedBikeGuide.pdf
Now that we are in 2007, psychologically, the bike is a year older, so the market value will be down a smidgen. IMHO, this is purely a psychological issue. OTOH, anything is worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.

Do you have the cash? If this is a private party sale, can you get the bike to a mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection?

I can't tell you how much $ the 60K service should run... the 2000 I just bought only has 28K on the clock

·
Senior Member (ret.)
10,857 Posts
price is good.

Learn to do the service yourself and save beaucoup $s. The 60K service is basically a 12K service interval.

You can get the Sayegh DVDs and the Clymer manual or even the factory service manual and be on your way if you have decent mechanical knowledge.

A 12k service costs between 600-900 $s depends on where in the country you are having it serviced.

If you do it yourself, the cost of parts should not exceed $200.

Not knowing the history of the bike, I suggest draining all fluids (brake, clutch, radiator, engine, tranny and final drive).

For additional peace of mind, I'd have the final drive internals inspected unless seller has replaced the bearings recently.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
If you are mechanically inclined and can do the labor yourself, then the parts will cost you around $130.00 for oil, air, fuel filters, spark plugs, etc... Yes, filters are expensive, and if you want synthetic oil it will cost even more but you will change oil less often.
Also expect to spend an entire day the first time you service your bike as removing the tupperware is time consuming but becomes easier and faster every time.
Also from time to time fellow LT riders have tech sessions where all gather in someone's garage and help each other, drink coffee and eat donuts (you will find out that quite a few members are active or retired LEOs :D ). And added bonus is that you will make new friends with whom to ride.:thumb:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
zippy_gg said:
drink coffee and eat donuts (you will find out that quite a few members are active or retired LEOs :D )
What are ya tryin' to say, Gilles? Hmmmmm? ;)

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
dogiedad said:
:confused: ---------How do I ride a bike and not stop to eat every hour (goldwing humor)?-------------

Michael in Murphy
The best way is to NOT transfer the stock Honda DQ detector from the 'Wing to the LT. :histerica

1 - 7 of 7 Posts