BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07' dark grey gt..

was was thinking of power coating the wheels and all of the silver including the bars and drive train RED... ( sorry i have several ducati's tooo )

then some simple red graphics that match the lines of the bike... sounds striking???

what do you think?? any photoshop folks out there that can help??

your feedback and picts of your custom paint is appreciated!!

Casey

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
A Belgian GT rider had his bike repainted to a decal design that can be found on the i-net.

Attachments

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the assistance guys...

looks like nobody has powder coated the read drive ad frame and such...

sounds like a unique approach to me..

thanks again!

Casey

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
grifscoots said:
You do know that powder coating requires disassembly of said part.
And pay attention to tolerances on the inside and especially where the parts fit back together. A thickness increase of 2-3 mils on each surface can cause interference problems when refitting the parts.

Brake disks, for example, would probably still fit as the calipers have some play built in to accommodate pad wear. But you might have trouble getting the wheel bearings pushed back into place if the inner bore is now 4-6 mils smaller in diameter.

So do you mask that area beforehand, or machine it back to factory tolerance afterwards? Also note that very sharp corners won't take the powder coat nearly as well as smoother surfaces. So there might be some thinness there that could wear through or flake off much easier than other areas. Some chroming places won't do bike rims anymore for just that reason.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts