BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 2 1/2 years and 110k miles my 6k low beam HID lamp finally died. I researched the old site and found that my symptoms indicate that it is the lamp itself that is dead; on turning the key it flashes three times then nothing.

Does anyone know of a replacement source that can get it here quickly? Is there anyone in NorCal that sells them?

The kit I have is one that Raffy used to sell back in the day... :D

Thanks in advance for you help!

Cheers!

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
If the lamp actually lights, producing light three times, I would say that it is the BALLAST that is bad, not the bulb. HID bulbs either work, or they don't.

Sounds like you are getting the high voltage arc start from the ballast, but the sustaining voltage circuits have failed. The ballast produces around 15,000 volts for a second or so to "strike" the arc, and when the temp of the gas in the bulb has risen sufficiently to maintain the arc the voltage drops back to around 85 volts. I think you have lost the lower voltage.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
HID Online that Ted references probably will sell just a bulb, too. I would verify that the ballast is putting out the correct power before purchaing just the bulb, though.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
DavidTaylor said:
HID Online that Ted references probably will sell just a bulb, too. I would verify that the ballast is putting out the correct power before purchaing just the bulb, though.
Without specialized load instrumentation, about the only way to check a ballast is with a known good bulb. You cannot check a ballast with normal measuring equipment. You could use a high voltage meter to check the starting voltage, but no good way to get the ballast to "downshift" to check the running voltage. I think the ballast shifts at a specific current, as the current starts pretty high, and drops off considerably as the bulb heats up. When it gets to a set amperage, it shifts to the lower running voltage.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
WARNING: Dangerous and potentially lethal voltages!

Do NOT attempt to measure the "output" side of the HID Ballast. There are potentially LETHAL voltages present.

I've read that the "igniters" will pulse 3 times to ensure the arc strikes and the bulb lights. If you are getting the "pulses", I agree the ballast itself is likely the failing component. Bummer.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your help! :D

After reading all of the various possibilities here I decided to order a complete system from Janet at HID-Online. That way I'm assured to have a fully operating system by Monday! This cage commuting is a *itch!

I'll post here with the outcome once the bulb or the ballast or both are installed.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and the answer is.... (drum roll please)

it was the lamp! :D

I got the HID kit from HID On-line today after ordering it last Wednesday. Less than a week to get it clear across the pond! It was supposed to get here Saturday but it was hung up in customs in Louisville, KY. Price on the invoice was 100.00 GBP.

I took the lamp out of the kit and connected it to my old ballast and, viola! LIGHT! I'll be riding to work again tomorrow. Life is good.

Anyone need a replacement ballast... ;)

Cheers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts