BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some ideas. Here is the issue: BMW R1100RT Type 259. I recently bend my front wheel. Straightened it out on the road, never lost air, and had very little shimmy. Now I removed the wheel, took it to a wheel repair shop, and it runs perfectly true and balanced with minimal weights. The wheel bearings were replaced at the same time. We removed the bearings this AM and double checked for correct installation, but there really is no wrong way to install them. Verified the bearing dimension, all is right on.

The problem is the the wheel now sits several mm to the left (side with the ABS) or in other words, it is not centered in the fork. That of course causes problems with the caliper location, it is rubbing slighly on the rim, and never mind the ABS sensor and I would suspect handling issues.

The only possible answer we have come up with is that in the wheel straightening process the hub was pushed to the right, changing the offset. Seems far fetched to me... Since I do not know anyone here with the same bike, I have no way to compare things. Any ideas are appreciated.

And I was going to head out for Germany today... :(
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,024 Posts
Wow Wolfgang, I'm not an RT guy as you know, but is it possible the fork is sprung a bit? Is the spacing between the forks the same at the triple tree as it is at the caliper?

Is it possible that the axle assembly pieces need to be re-examined? Perhaps a spacer that is now on one side that was previously on the other? It's thickness would be half of the spacing delta.

I know you probably checked those already, but that's what comes to mind from a generic standpoint. Good luck my friend. Hopefully it's a simple fix and you can get on the road soon. :wave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,067 Posts
Wolfgang,

According to the manual this is installed properly. I will do some more looking around.


Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,067 Posts
I hate to even mention this, but is it possible the wheel has been turned around?

Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,067 Posts
If it is any help here is the section of the manual on the wheel bearing replacement.

See attached pdf file
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kellenbenz said:
If it is any help here is the section of the manual on the wheel bearing replacement.

See attached pdf file

Thanks Ron and Benny! :wave

The Technician from the Bike Tire Shop (really smart and friendly guy) actually came to my house. He is as baffled as I am. The only possibility that we have not been able to rule out is the the wheel repair shop pushed too hard on the press and extended the hub out by about 5mm. That would explain what we see, since it would increase the offset. I found a used wheel in Austria, near Vienna about 150 miles from here. For a (German) Texan like me thats nothing... :D. I will go early in the AM and get it. That allows me time for lunch in Austria :)

I'll post an update.

PS: Gas is $8.00 gallon, it will have to be a cheap lunch :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
In German: Ende gut, alles gut! :)

Finally a positive outcome: After a 500 KM roundtrip to Vienna I got a nice used wheel, made it back home by 6:00PM and I am now enjoying a cold beer. The weather is so nice that I had to take a long testdrive, :rotf: and all is well.

The well intended moron :mad: at the wheel repair place admitted finally that he did not know how soft these wheels are. When he put it under the press to straighten it, he immediately pushed the whole center way out. i.e he bend the three cast spokes. What did he do? Took a guess and put it under the press the other way. He than trued the wheel, and did a fine job of it. Thats why it never occurred to me that I am dealing with a deformed wheel. I will have a conversation (via translator) with him when I return from my trip to Germany's Schwaebian Alps.

At 5AM, Side stand up and crossing Hungary, Slovakia, the Czech Republic, on to the Schwaebian Alps (west of Stuttgart) to join the German Motorcycle Touring Club for a weekend of riding and socializing. :rotf:
 

·
Registered
1999 LTC
Joined
·
14,460 Posts
Wolfgang said:
In German: Ende gut, alles gut! :)

Finally a positive outcome: After a 500 KM roundtrip to Vienna I got a nice used wheel, made it back home by 6:00PM and I am now enjoying a cold beer. The weather is so nice that I had to take a long testdrive, :rotf: and all is well.

The well intended moron :mad: at the wheel repair place admitted finally that he did not know how soft these wheels are. When he put it under the press to straighten it, he immediately pushed the whole center way out. i.e he bend the three cast spokes. What did he do? Took a guess and put it under the press the other way. He than trued the wheel, and did a fine job of it. That why it never occurred to me that I am dealing with a deformed wheel. I will have a conversation (via translator) with him when I return from my trip to Germany's Schwaebian Alps.

At 5AM, Side stand up and crossing Hungary, Slovakia, the Czech Republic, on to the Schwaebian Alps (west of Stuttgart) to join the German Motorcycle Touring Club for a weekend of riding and socializing. :rotf:
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Have a great trip and enjoy the GMTC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Dick said:
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Have a great trip and enjoy the GMTC.
Thanks Dick!

Here are some details on the trip. It should be great fun!

Since the PDF would not attach for some reason (I suspect it's me) here is a link to the entire 2012 Program. I made the first trip already, and I am leaving tomorrow for #2 and paid up for #3.

http://www.motorcycle-touring-club-germany.de/#Touren 2012
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,024 Posts
Wolfgang said:
Thanks Dick!

Here are some details on the trip. It should be great fun!

Since the PDF would not attach for some reason (I suspect it's me) here is a link to the entire 2012 Program. I made the first trip already, and I am leaving tomorrow for #2 and paid up for #3.

http://www.motorcycle-touring-club-germany.de/#Touren 2012
Glad you got it resolved. :thumb: Retirement is treating you well, so is Diana. ;)
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top