BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today we almost finished installing a new clutch and tranny in a 2002 K1200LT, but when we try to crank it, it does nothing. No sounds whatsoever. We DO see the lights come on, instrument panel, etc AND hear the fuel pump energize, but when the starter button is pushed, no sound at all. Here's what we have checked:

Reverse lever.....kill switch...clutch...kickstand...

Could not locate the starter solenoid (It wasn't where the manual said it should be (in electrical box under tank).

Any ideas at all?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Jack could you have forgot the starter motor cables ?

Positive cable to starter motor and ground lead to cross-tube.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Murray,

We did check those, but I have posted a picture below. Could someone look at their LT (preferably a 2002 or close by) to see if the wiring indicated by arrows looks correct???? Thanks a ton.

Attachments

·
Registered
773 Posts
Not starting

Jack

I am not sure but could it be the side stand switch?

Regards

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I was think'n that too Graham - but he said he checked the "kickstand" - which is 'Americanese' for sidestand.

How does the ignition key|switch interlock with the start circuit?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
cccpastorjack said:
Murray,

We did check those, but I have posted a picture below. Could someone look at their LT (preferably a 2002 or close by) to see if the wiring indicated by arrows looks correct???? Thanks a ton.
I do not see why one would disconnect those wires for this job , curious ?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
murray said:
I do not see why one would disconnect those wires for this job , curious ?

We initially disconnected them because it was very difficult to get to the one that led to the starter (space constraints).

Anyone been able to look at theirs and see if it looks like we have them connected properly? Just kinda' grasping for straws right now.

Does anyone know the test procedure for the starter relay/solenoid? It is the newer solid state model?

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
That'll teach you to think your a master mechanic. :rotf:

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
cccpastorjack said:
We initially disconnected them because it was very difficult to get to the one that led to the starter (space constraints).

Starter Relay?

To reach the starter wires I lower the motor trans for increased space.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
cccpastorjack said:

Anyone been able to look at theirs and see if it looks like we have them connected properly? Just kinda' grasping for straws right now.

Does anyone know the test procedure for the starter relay/solenoid? It is the newer solid state model?
Yes that connection is same as my '04. I thought the relay was in the aluminum housing under the tank. Never hunted for it though.

I'm sorry,that's the motronic I'm thinking of. Your relay is not inside the plastic equipment box? If no clicky, then one of the interlocks has to be off.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
bowlesj said:
. I thought the relay was in the aluminum housing under the tank. Never hunted for it though.

John you are correct the starter relay is in the electronic box under the tank.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,184 Posts
Here is the relay Jack. Both the old style and a replacement new style.

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts
Jack, if you had the battery disconnected maybe it's the alarm immobilizer. The alarm may have reset itself to a default state. I'm just guessing here, but it's a thought.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks SO much for all the adivice and suggestions. I located the starter relay earlier and when we depress the starter button, electricity flows into the relay, but none comes out the other side.

I hate to just go buy a new one and my shop manuals give no instructions on how to test them. :(

Now...I know there are lots of interlocks/protections....but we had hooked up one wire wrong and I'm wondering if we didn't mess up the relay.

Thoughts????

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
cccpastorjack said:
Thanks SO much for all the adivice and suggestions. I located the starter relay earlier and when we depress the starter button, electricity flows into the relay, but none comes out the other side.

I hate to just go buy a new one and my shop manuals give no instructions on how to test them. :(

Now...I know there are lots of interlocks/protections....but we had hooked up one wire wrong and I'm wondering if we didn't mess up the relay.

Thoughts????
Jack,
I have not tested this particular relay but have tested and used others. If you are getting power when you press the start button you should here it click. There should also be a set of contacts that close and become common or open and break a line or leg. If these are "load shed" they may also open one set of contacts and close another.

Sorry that I am not any more help.

Roy

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
cccpastorjack said:

Thoughts????
Is there any kind of a circuit diagram on the relay (module)? Or if you know for sure which connections are the coil connections, you can ring it with an ohmeter. Coil should have some resistance but not open. If no clicky and the coil is open your done, new relay. If no clicky but coil seems OK, that's usually a missing path to ground for the coil.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
John, the relay in question is the blue one pictured earlier in this thread, I believe I shorted it out when I hooked up one of the wires incorrectly, there is no burnt smell or an clicking then the starter is depressed. We did take the cover off of the relay and put the relay back into the harness, we then depressed the switch on the relay, and the starter turned over.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
We never checked the coil

We did try to "jump" the coil with 12 V on the correct blades, but, no click no nothing.

The wires didn't look broken, no evidence of us "letting the smoke out" of the coil. The starter switch does give 12V at the relay when pressed. When we manually close the relay contacts, the starter goes.

I would feel a bunch better seeing some black or smelling that stench.

Wish we had a spare to plug in to test.

One thing we never did was check continuity through the coil. I don't know if it would tell us something, but, if a wire were broke, we'd see it.

By the way, Bikebandit has the relay (New) for $85.00, FYI.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts