BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finishing up my bike after an almost full rebuild.
I have 2 driveshafts with the best sides of both of them that I can put together to make a good shaft.
My problem is that I can't figure out how to separate the u joint from the axles.
I'm familiar with bolt type connectors and c clip like connectors but I don't know how to separate and reinstall
I don't want to break them trying to figure it out so if someone could point me to a video or forum message that would be great.
Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I dont think uni's are a serviceable item, if they wear you probably need to get a new drive shaft, and I am not sure what you are referring as an axle, you have a drive shaft attached to the final drive input shaft and uni joint which is attached to the rear out put shaft of the gearbox, if you had a picture of what you are trying to do it will make it easier to decipher.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,553 Posts
The drive shaft will separate into two parts, neither of which has serviceable U-joints. The only option other than new is used from e-bay. I got a low mileage one two years ago for $100 and it will go into the LT as I am putting it back together. The old one has "notchy" u-joints @ 102 K, while the e-bay one is smooth and stiff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts