BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've seem to have lost this screw or bolt, I don't know what it looks like.
Can't find information in the manuals or even online.

It's for the rear trunk latch, on the right side. There's a long one that comes from the left side
but it stops short of the hole so, naturally there should be another one that fits over this one.
If anybody has a spare one or can point me in the right direction to fix this issue I would appreciate very much.

Thanks
Lacy

Attachments

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Hi all,

I've seem to have lost this screw or bolt, I don't know what it looks like.
Can't find information in the manuals or even online.

It's for the rear trunk latch, on the right side. There's a long one that comes from the left side
but it stops short of the hole so, naturally there should be another one that fits over this one.
If anybody has a spare one or can point me in the right direction to fix this issue I would appreciate very much.

Thanks
Lacy
Lacy, If I am looking at that correctly, that looks like the hinge pivot pin. According to the fix it after it breaks instructions, it could be an e-clip or a push nut and possibly a roll pin on one side that has come off. Depending on what BMW decided to use at the time of your LT assembly, something like the above mentioned fasteners has fallen off.

See if you can push the pivot pin back through both holes. You may find some useful information and pictures in the replacement latch installation instructions but I think the fastener has come off the pin. If you can expose the end of the pin, you might be able to see if it was a push nut or if there is a groove cut into the pin, an e-clip that is missing. As far as I know, there are no parts for the trunk and it is sold as a complete entity for way too much money.

BMW K1200LT Trunk Latch Handle Kit K 1200 LT

Reactions: Lacy Passos

·
Registered
2002 K1200LTC 2017 R1200GS
64 Posts
Well, I guess this is what I get for not reading every post and not knowing about the FIBIB kit. My latch just broke. The link to the match improved replacement latch kit does not work. Anyone out there have any leads on a fix short of paying BMW way to much once again for a fix to a faulty part? :frown:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
if you cant get one the only option you have is to remove the the pin out of the trunk LID on the broken side.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I usually check ebay. I replaced my entire latch some time ago, probably from Search

·
Registered
2002 K1200LTC 2017 R1200GS
64 Posts
Thank guys for the reply. I have drilled the rivets and will see what I can do to repair the latch. There are a few complete cases on eBay, but for $300 to $400 I will give J-B Weld a try first.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Well, I guess this is what I get for not reading every post and not knowing about the FIBIB kit. My latch just broke. The link to the match improved replacement latch kit does not work. Anyone out there have any leads on a fix short of paying BMW way to much once again for a fix to a faulty part? :frown:
Well. The upper left corner of mine started to crack across.I panel bonded a copy plate over my latch. I took paper and traced the latch handle. Then I transferred it onto a piece of metal & cut it, contoured it.(Cause the handle is curved) Cut the hole for the lock(Slightly larger) Sanded the latch to bare metal.Then used a course grit to rough up the surface of both back of the plate and latch face. Cleaned it meticulously with solvent with a rag, or you can use brake cleaner and clean the plate also. BOTH HAVE TO BE CLEAN. I used panel bond. They join body panels, roof panels, patch panels with it. GM and Nissan use it. Mines been great. Once those two pieces of metal are joined. It's like a weld. Their not coming apart. John Z posted the pics for me. I think it's listed under. How to post pictures. Have latch solution. Look it up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts