BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 07 I presently have both his and her Nolan helmets with J&M hardwired speakers and mic via BMW com 2. I hard wire my Zumo 550 to phone jack in oddments box as well as the i-pod to aux jack. This works OK. Getting ready to purchase new Helmets and com equip. I am completely audiophile challenged. I have read many threads on different BT vs Hardwired systems that guys use but I am not clear on the step by step mechanics of hooking what to where etc. I am looking for suggestions as to the easiest and least expensive way to set-up the following: Intercom, I-pod, phone, Zumo 550 and occasional radio. I am open to both hardwired and BT set-up suggestions. Again please explain the actual mechanics in detail as to how you do your set-up as I am a little slow in the electronic advances and terminology. Thanks in advance since this has most likely been asked many times before.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I've just completed a hard wire of a Starcom1 system and integrated it into my '05 (meaning the GPS plays through the external speakers and can be switched on and off into the helmet speakers, has GMRS 2-way radio, new amplified Aux-in and more). To say it was complicated would be an understatement as the wiring loom I had to make was rather large with many plugs and a lot of drilling and soldering to go with it. It works really well, but frankly I'm not sure I would recommend it to anyone other than someone who is not concerned about soldering electronics etc. I had the Starcom1 system already, so it was cheaper for me (labor was free coz it was just me) to go this route than buy a new System setup.

Given you said you're not an audiophile etc I would take a look at the Sena systems, and I would watch the videos on Revzilla.com since they give enough information to give you confidence. The higher end model Sena system has enough to handle GPS, phone and more - even a 2-way radio option - so it looks like a good solution. This is of course IMHO - I hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts