BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting wired helmet speakers, so took off the tupperware on my 2009 LT (bought used about 2 months ago). The J&M HSCP-DS10 look pretty good, but I can't tell what kind of connector is on these helmet speakers.

Well, I naively assumed there would be an obvious connector for the headset wire near the radio somewhere under the cover. When I got everything apart, I found 4 unused connectors and a bundle with 6 sets of wires with plastic caps at the ends

In photo 1, I know where one connector goes (arrow drawn on picture), but items labeled A, B, C, D and E are a mystery. If it helps any, photo 2 is a closer view of the connectors (except for the white one on the radio body).

I've searched all over the BMW sites and googled every combination of words I can think of but can't find get an id on these critters. My Clymer's manual is mute on this subject

I know many of you have done speaker, autocom, and other mods to your radios. I would appreciate any and all help from the collective wisdom of the group.

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,061 Posts
B & C go to the early BMW branded Garmin GPS unit (I think BMW Navigator 1 or 2) . A - maybe a push to talk for the intercom. Not sure what the bundle E is for looks like some stuff has been tied back. May be part of an intercom installation. No idea bout the D connector.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I was hoping that the connector "A" would be used for the helmet speakers. The connector right next to it was already connected to the radio and goes into the forward area, so I assumed it had something to do with the front speakers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had J&M headsets for a previous bike; well made, worked well, and kinda expensive. They also used what I think was a proprietary connector at the helmet end of the extension. Keep in mind that the connection between intercom and headset will have 4-5-6 or more conductors.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Following your feedback and clues in this forum, I agree that connectors B & C are for the BMW GPS. Also deduced that the bundle of wires (E) was probably for the CD player in the right saddlebag, which I no longer have on this Hannigan trike conversion.

Figured out that connector A is not for speakers, since the speaker pairs have yellow and blue combinations. Item A has brown, blue/purple and blue/green wires, which I can't find anywhere on the color diagrams in the Clymer manual.

Anyway, have decided to tap into the rear speaker wires near the round connector under the passenger seat and then run the new wire bundle up to the front of the driver seat, terminated with a 3.5mm female phono plug.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Anyway, have decided to tap into the rear speaker wires near the round connector under the passenger seat and then run the new wire bundle up to the front of the driver seat, terminated with a 3.5mm female phono plug.
Another thread revival to offer words of wisdom to others thinking of trying this... DON'T!

The amplifier outputs on the radio are not commoned to ground, but are in what is known as "Bridge" configuration. Commoning the negatives like that will damage the amplifiers.

The correct way to do it is by buying the correct isolator, or modifying a commercial one to break the common link at the radio side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts