BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this? I have it the unit installed but cant find the factory wires to tie into. My dealer looked up my bike and told me I needed the main factory cable for which the the Nav cable could tie into, and I purchased it. But what i can't find is where does this wire go to, does anyone know?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
If your bike is a post 2005 model, the power connector for the navigator is hidden behind the three radio stingray connectors (on the left side on top of the gas tank). This extra connector has a also cap on it.

In the worst case removing the radio stingray is not enough as the connector is tied quite far behind the other ones and you might need to remove also the tupperware around your instrument cluster (the one with the speaker grilles).
And this requires the removal of the windshield and the panel right under it...:(

Good luck with the connector hunt...

Regards

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks my bike is a 05,I did see the three connectors, but no additional plugs. So now I guess its time to remove the tupperware on the instrument cluster.
Thanks again

·
Registered
19 Posts
I purchased an 05 and wanted to use the Nav III I use on my 08 GSA, a buddy sold me his extra cradle and I bought the power/com harness from the dealer, took it all apart and no plugs, I do not have the BMW comm system and apparently on bikes without that harness you do not get the plugs (I had my bike completely apart except for the speaker grill tupperware so it could be possibly buried up there). Same friend had a spare adaptor power cable so I just went back to the Centec unit I installed.

If you have any other questions just PM me, I may be able to help, this site does not have much traffic so many questions go unanswered, I have had to dig in and investigate questions I have had myself.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
This existence of the GPS power plug has nothing to do with BMW communication system. As far as I have understood the plug is standard in all facelifted LT:s. For some reason factory has hidden the plug in a hard to reach place. To this connector there are four wires. Ground, switched +12 V, another +12V through the ignition key "radio on" -position and one more wire with a mystery 10,5 volts which I don't know about.

Many have simply cut off the factory connector as it is sometimes hard to find a counterpiece for it and used a simple two pole connector using only the ground and the "radio on" + 12V. This way you can hook up your nav in such way that you can fiddle with the navigator without having the ignition full on (or bike running) and still be sure that the unit goes off when you remove the key from the ignition lock.

Regards

1 - 5 of 5 Posts