BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased this on ebay (the price was low enough to take a chance) and am trying to identify the manufacturer so I can get more information about proper mounting, hardware needed, etc. I contacted Bushtec and they say it isn't one of their's.

Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
I may be mistaken but I think it's fabricated. I'm pretty sure that's the one I was watching on feebay a week or so ago. Appears to be well made though.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'd try contacting dan-o50 the seller and see if he could give you some advice if you haven't already. It appears that he wasn't parting the bike because that's the only item, or last item he had listed. He most likely either fabricated it himself, had it fabricated, or at least knows how it came off.

If you hold the hitch where it goes the mounting holes should be obvious, and I think the plate is a reinforcing plate, I'm not certain of its location but I would think somewhere by the kick stand unless you can see where it attaches to the hitch near the ball.

It appears that you'll need bolts if they weren't included, be sure to use grade 8 bolts.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think I have found the manufacturer.

I have considered fabricating a hitch for my k1200lt for awhile but haven't had a reason to pull the trigger since I sold my bunkhouse trailer, so I enjoy looking at different designs *Nerd.

Anyways, here's the link looks like you got a bargain!

http://www.tourmaster.nl/en/5580282/k1200lt-grey-powder-coat--hd-

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I purchased this on ebay (the price was low enough to take a chance) and am trying to identify the manufacturer so I can get more information about proper mounting, hardware needed, etc. I contacted Bushtec and they say it isn't one of their's.

Anyone have any ideas?
I have that hitch on my 2001 LT. It is made by HitchDoc and sells for $378.00 now. There are some spacers (3) needed and longer screws for the front mount and ubolts with rubber mounts for the back. The plate does bolt on to the back and will be in the way when you change the rear wheel. You should also get a new plug for the lights and feed it through the pipe for a clean looking install. No need to buy anything motorcycle specific here, I got a good one at UHaul for 20 bucks and it has built in diagnostics! If you need help with the install just pm me and I'll see if I can get some photos put together for you.

Link to page where you can view motorcycle hitches :HitchDoc motorcycle trailer hitches for Harleys, Hondas, Yamaha & more motorcycle hitches

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I have found the manufacturer.

I have considered fabricating a hitch for my k1200lt for awhile but haven't had a reason to pull the trigger since I sold my bunkhouse trailer, so I enjoy looking at different designs *Nerd.

Anyways, here's the link looks like you got a bargain!

K1200LT Grey powder coat, Hd-
Great find, thanks!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have that hitch on my 2001 LT. It is made by HitchDoc and sells for $378.00 now. There are some spacers (3) needed and longer screws for the front mount and ubolts with rubber mounts for the back. The plate does bolt on to the back and will be in the way when you change the rear wheel. You should also get a new plug for the lights and feed it through the pipe for a clean looking install. No need to buy anything motorcycle specific here, I got a good one at UHaul for 20 bucks and it has built in diagnostics! If you need help with the install just pm me and I'll see if I can get some photos put together for you.

Link to page where you can view motorcycle hitches :HitchDoc motorcycle trailer hitches for Harleys, Hondas, Yamaha & more motorcycle hitches
Is this the wiring kit you bought from Uhaul? Looks like a great deal.

https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Wiring-Lights/Tow-Vehicle-Wiring/U-Haul-4-Way-Flat?id=13684

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,914 Posts
That will work to convert the LT signals to the trailer but I highly recommend a relay isolator between the LT wiring and that adapter. Reason is the main harness on the LT has very small wire and will only support the lamp loads on the bike. A relay isolator adds only a very small load to the LT while providing higher current to the trailer. You do not want to melt a main harness $$$$$.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
That will work to convert the LT signals to the trailer but I highly recommend a relay isolator between the LT wiring and that adapter. Reason is the main harness on the LT has very small wire and will only support the lamp loads on the bike. A relay isolator adds only a very small load to the LT while providing higher current to the trailer. You do not want to melt a main harness $$$$$.
So that is something I don't know much about. Where would I get a relay isolator and how would I add it to the circuit? I have replaced the lights with LED's. Does that help much?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,914 Posts
So that is something I don't know much about. Where would I get a relay isolator and how would I add it to the circuit? I have replaced the lights with LED's. Does that help much?
Here is a link to the Bushtec site and their isolator. Basically it uses a separate fused 12 v circuit to feed the relay outputs (going to the trailer) and uses the bikes signal wires (a low current draw) to control the relays. Even a direct short in the trailer wiring will not harm the bikes harness.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is a link to the Bushtec site and their isolator. Basically it uses a separate fused 12 v circuit to feed the relay outputs (going to the trailer) and uses the bikes signal wires (a low current draw) to control the relays. Even a direct short in the trailer wiring will not harm the bikes harness.
If I'm correct, this will serve the same purpose. Walmart has it for just under $50. Might be easier than trying to mcguyver something together myself.

Short Proof Power Converter

Thoughts?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,914 Posts
That looks to be a good solution - nice find!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts