BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new job, after two years, and spent my wad on a commuting bike - a 2001 K1200LT (birth date 0700 sound right?). The guy I bought it from appears to have put VERY few miles on it for the 6 years he owned it and the guy that owned it before him put 49k miles on it - he was also the first owner of this bike and the owner of the local (to the second guy) BMW shop (Engle BMW).

At any rate, as soon as I handed over the cash and started off to ride it home it began sputtering and backfiring and dogging out on the highway. I limped it off the highway PRAYING the guy would answer his phone for me and didn't just sell me a known lemon. He did and we agreed that it was probably just old gas as he hadn't been able to ride it for a few years after hurting his back, which was his reasoning for selling it. At any rate, he shows up, sucks out most of the fuel (5 gallon can, bike holds 6, was almost full) and refills it with new gas and a gas treatment. The problem persists for a couple of miles and then all of a sudden she smooths out and rides like a dream and I spend the rest of the day smiling and riding around.

I ride the bike a few more days and all of a sudden the problem is back. I'm thinking...boo!! I check around the 'net, find this site, sounds like a fuel filter issue. I just spent the last 12 hours (with some coffee and cig "cool off" time - lots of it actually - and two runs to walmart to get a strap oil filter wrench and returning it because it wasn't big enough and then just pulling the belt out of my pants and using it and a pair of channel locks to get into the tank) changing said filter. The battery was disconnected for that time as well so when I got it all back together (but for two screws we can't talk about) I do the whole "turn on, rotate throttle twice, turn off" thing and then start it. NO CHANGE!

I'm not sure what to do now. Listening to the fuel pump it sounds fine. Heck, now the nav actually works too...

There ARE two wires I don't remember disconnecting but also don't remember seeing during disassembly. They follow the frame down pretty much alongside the wire for the fuel pump (right side of bike, when sitting on it) and end in "connectors" that would *seem* to connect to each other (one is male, the other female, same type/interface) except that there is a brown wire connecting them already AND there's not enough play between them with the wrap/tape to actually get them together.

The job starts Monday - ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated. The cheaper the better because until I get that first paycheck, if I make it in, I've got about $100 to spend...

Please and thank you!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Should also mention that I am thoroughly happy to have found this site - look forward to participating for years to come...IF I can get this bike to run. :)

Battery is disconnected for the while - time for a "nap". Then I'll see if I can't make it to a gas station, top off the tank, and see what happens...

·
Registered
498 Posts
Knobdy said:
There ARE two wires I don't remember disconnecting but also don't remember seeing during disassembly. They follow the frame down pretty much alongside the wire for the fuel pump (right side of bike, when sitting on it) and end in "connectors" that would *seem* to connect to each other (one is male, the other female, same type/interface) except that there is a brown wire connecting them already AND there's not enough play between them with the wrap/tape to actually get them together.

The job starts Monday - ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated. The cheaper the better because until I get that first paycheck, if I make it in, I've got about $100 to spend...

Please and thank you!!
Congrats on the new bike.

Buying a used bike can be a challenge. I bought all three of mine used, and performed a teardown similar to a 24K service on each to get a good feel for any issues on the bike.
The sputtering does sound like a fuel issue. Run a HEAVY dose of LUCAS fuel injection cleaner through each and every tank for 1K miles. LOTS of highway driving.
Check the plug wires for chaffing, however, I would think the problem would get worse at the engine heated.
Put new plugs in her.

The two wires you found are SPARES. They are for another power point, optional, but not installed on yours.
Keep us posted....

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
When it stops, is there a vacuum in the fuel tank? Pull the filler cap and see if you get a
"whoosh" of air. If so, them you have the infamous "plugged canister"

However, that would not explain the first instance, when you had not riden far enough to use enough fuel to cause the vacuum.

There is a lot of information here regarding the "caneristerectomy" many have done over the years.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Keep it most simple and probable. After many years of minimal use, what could cause the behavior - common sense says it should be gas related... Could there be some rubbish in some of the fuel injectors moving around?

Could rats (no kidding) or other little "friends" have bit some of the wires? How was the old girl stored?

BTW - after many years of minimal use:

- change brake fluids - flush properly
- change oil & filter

Tons of information in this site! Take your time to scan it through. Everything you ever have wanted to know of LT (and some you don't) is here!

·
Registered
498 Posts
C-A-D said:
Keep it most simple and probable. After many years of minimal use, what could cause the behavior - common sense says it should be gas related...BTW - after many years of minimal use:

- change brake fluids - flush properly
- change oil & filter

Tons of information in this site! Take your time to scan it through. Everything you ever have wanted to know of LT (and some you don't) is here!

+1

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Knobdy said:
I just got a new job, after two years, and spent my wad on a commuting bike - a 2001 K1200LT (birth date 0700 sound right?). The guy I bought it from appears to have put VERY few miles on it for the 6 years he owned it and the guy that owned it before him put 49k miles on it - he was also the first owner of this bike and the owner of the local (to the second guy) BMW shop (Engle BMW).

At any rate, as soon as I handed over the cash and started off to ride it home it began sputtering and backfiring and dogging out on the highway. I limped it off the highway PRAYING the guy would answer his phone for me and didn't just sell me a known lemon. He did and we agreed that it was probably just old gas as he hadn't been able to ride it for a few years after hurting his back, which was his reasoning for selling it. At any rate, he shows up, sucks out most of the fuel (5 gallon can, bike holds 6, was almost full) and refills it with new gas and a gas treatment. The problem persists for a couple of miles and then all of a sudden she smooths out and rides like a dream and I spend the rest of the day smiling and riding around.

I ride the bike a few more days and all of a sudden the problem is back. I'm thinking...boo!! I check around the 'net, find this site, sounds like a fuel filter issue. I just spent the last 12 hours (with some coffee and cig "cool off" time - lots of it actually - and two runs to walmart to get a strap oil filter wrench and returning it because it wasn't big enough and then just pulling the belt out of my pants and using it and a pair of channel locks to get into the tank) changing said filter. The battery was disconnected for that time as well so when I got it all back together (but for two screws we can't talk about) I do the whole "turn on, rotate throttle twice, turn off" thing and then start it. NO CHANGE!

I'm not sure what to do now. Listening to the fuel pump it sounds fine. Heck, now the nav actually works too...

Please and thank you!!
Brian,
I'm not a mechanic, but I do most of my own maintenace on my '03 LT (same system as yours, I think) and at over 133,000 miles it still purrs like a kitten. I too think you have a fuel/injector problem or even starving for air. I'd be glad to stop by for a look. As you're close by, maybe we could take a ride together sometime.(after you get it running) Or maybe not if our riding styles don't match or I'm just too ugly to be seen with. LOL Send me a private message if you're interested in getting together. My time is spent riding and singing in the Church choir and in that order. I'm about 40 minutes from St Jo so all I need is an address so I can find you..
By the way.......was there any gunk/chunks coming out of the tank when you were putting in the new filter?
I'd look at the plugs, wires on the injectors, plug wires, look at the gas coming out of the pressure line on the left side of the bike. Just my .02 cents worth. Sure hope it's something simple!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, thanks for all of the quick responses! As it happens we're having a bit of a downpour so I won't be going for that fill-up and trial ride after all - figure I'll just leave the battery disconnected until, hopefully, Sunday and give it a try. Last chance to get it to work before the job...

Some have suggested a spark plug change - just read up a little on that and am pretty sure it's WAY out of my comfort zone. My plan was to get a couple weeks of work in and then take it in for a complete and in-depth tune-up. Setting for so long it no doubt needs a lot of love.

Vern, I'd be happy to give a ride a try! Not sure where you're at but I often take the ride up to big lake and then over to 7hwy and back down.

Reminds me, I used to belong to the BMW club when I had a 325...is there a big BMW bike club in the area? This canisterectemy sounds like a great idea for a tech session...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No whoosh - but then I've only been able to start it and try to rev it a bit.

No mice, it was garaged, looks pretty pristine, actually.

I didn't do a very good job of reassembly I'm afraid. Those two screws I didn't want to mention are for each side fairing, over/into the bridge/front seat assembly. And the gas cover doesn't fully open. Not sure if I STILL didn't get the gas tank seated correctly or if I simply don't know how to get the tank cover back on properly - thinking it's a bit of both...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Should also mention that it backfires a lot as it does this stuttering - not through the exhaust though...know what I mean??

Meant to change the air filter while I was in there but no one has one in stock!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Welcome to the Very Best Forum on the Net! I mean that, these guys here are the most helpful, friendly, caring bunch you could ever wish for.

I will bet that when the old gas was removed it was on the sidestand. The fuel tank on these bikes is almost in two sections with the lowest connecting point in the back. You probably still have contaminants in the fuel system. At WORST case you are looking at removing the injectors and having them professionally back-flush cleaned and flushing out your fuel system. Annoying but not too bad. Please learn from my mistake and only use Submersible\Immersion rated Fuel Injection hose inside the tank, not regular FI hose. This you can get at NAPA or someplace similar at around 30$ to 40$ per 1ft piece. Using the wrong hose will have the hose blow off the filter about a week later and you will coast to a stop as the engine gently quits.

Plug wires and Plugs (as already mentioned) are also a possibility. I just replaced my wires to cure a stumbling issue.

Good Luck, and don't give up on her. These girls don't like to Waltz in the parking lot, but Man do they ever love to dance on a curvy road! :dance:

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Knobdy said:
Wow, thanks for all of the quick responses! As it happens we're having a bit of a downpour so I won't be going for that fill-up and trial ride after all - figure I'll just leave the battery disconnected until, hopefully, Sunday and give it a try. Last chance to get it to work before the job...

Some have suggested a spark plug change - just read up a little on that and am pretty sure it's WAY out of my comfort zone. My plan was to get a couple weeks of work in and then take it in for a complete and in-depth tune-up. Setting for so long it no doubt needs a lot of love.

Vern, I'd be happy to give a ride a try! Not sure where you're at but I often take the ride up to big lake and then over to 7hwy and back down.

Reminds me, I used to belong to the BMW club when I had a 325...is there a big BMW bike club in the area? This canisterectemy sounds like a great idea for a tech session...
Brian,
Yep, been to Big Lake many times with my RT buddy in Stanberry.We've been on 7 a couple of times, but usually stay on the MO side of the river. I ride a road north of RT 6 , east of Maysville,past Lake Viking that has a bunch of 40 mph curves(at 60 or 65 on the LT) that is fun to ride after everyone goes to work. I pretty much have the road to myself and love powering out of the curves. I live 12 miles NE of King City. I ride most everyday. In fact I was out this morning for a 40 mile ride.
Sparkplug change is a piece of cake. I have some used ones that would work for a test if you're interested. It takes a lot longer to get to the plugs than it does to actually change them.
It does sound like you're on the right track to trace your problem to it's source.
Vern :bmw:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Reading your latest post (#10) sounds like it might be more timing related. Hall Sensor comes to mind as a possibility. These can suffer a heat related breakdown and cause timing to be erratic as well as a total failure.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Knobdy said:
Should also mention that it backfires a lot as it does this stuttering - not through the exhaust though...know what I mean??

Meant to change the air filter while I was in there but no one has one in stock!
If you can change the air filter, you can do the plugs....... :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tore it all down again and checked the air filter - looked new. Changed the plugs - not with my first choice but those that were mentioned on these forums. Removed the canister (though it had already been disconnected :rotf: ).

PROBLEM now is, that I know of before I start the bike again, how do I get this @)#(*[email protected]()#@( gas tank back in place properly? The left side is fully seated forward on the grommet but the right side WILL NOT GO! :mad:

I've looked at everything I can see and there shouldn't be anything stopping it - but until it goes forward a bit, and the tank up a bit even, that hole on the right side just isn't going to line up. I don't want to prop it up with my hand again, force the bolt in and then not have any of the plastic line up correctly...again....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Centaurious said:
Plug wires and Plugs (as already mentioned) are also a possibility. I just replaced my wires to cure a stumbling issue.
When you replaced your wires to cure the stumble, was it hesitating just off of idle up to about 2K or so RPM? Did you do an ohms test with a meter before you changed the wires? What were the readings?

My 2000 LT has a stumbling problem from idle to around 2K RPM . It has been canisterectomized and has no brown wire. Haven't looked for the yellow cat code plug yet. But I have changed plugs which helped. I'll do an ohms test on the wires. Anyone know the values to look for? Is that in the Haynes book? Will also check the tank closer.

Ollie
2000 K1200 LT
1993 K1100 LT

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Go carefully, my friend (beer commercial). Things which do not line up on the LT will break if you force them. I imagine you have dirty injectors. Get it back together and give it a good dose of Seafoam Cleaner. You may also want to check your in-tank fuel line closely for a crack. Welcome to the site. There are many here with great knowledge. Do NOT take that bike to your local BMW dealer and tell them to "just fix it" as they (BMW motorcycles) are quite expensive to have worked on at the dealership.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
PROBLEM now is, that I know of before I start the bike again, how do I get this @)#(*[email protected]()#@( gas tank back in place properly? The left side is fully seated forward on the grommet but the right side WILL NOT GO! :mad:

I've looked at everything I can see and there shouldn't be anything stopping it - but until it goes forward a bit, and the tank up a bit even, that hole on the right side just isn't going to line up. I don't want to prop it up with my hand again, force the bolt in and then not have any of the plastic line up correctly...again....
had trouble with mine - inside rubber isolation support fell out and blocked forward motion - don't force it and break something

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Getting ready to dump the sea foam in and see what happens.

Someone asked about rough idle - it doesn't actually idle that bad, but if I rev it up it'll drop after 4k (before plugs). I didn't notice that after the plugs - instead it reved fine beyond 4k but stuttered when I tried to hold it around 2.5-3k.

If I post again tonight it's because I made it back to the garage...if it's in the morning it's because I finally made it home and have another question...really hoping I can use that little dancing guy character I see to my right as I type this!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:dance:

NOT

So I put it down on the side that DOESN'T have the "handy" handle...on a mud shoulder...

Now, when I can start it (this hasn't been an issue before) it'll idle rough and I might get a few good revs out of it to 4k. Then it stutters. If I pull the throttle back a bit and hold it it might go to 2k but then stutters around 1k or less and never goes above - coughing though (I'm guessing) the intake.

It had a 1/4 tank when I added the sea foam. Could add more premium. Feels like I'm throwing good money after bad.

Someone mentioned timing - not sure why that would happen from sitting (and it idled AWESOME when I went to look at it and the guy said he started it up fairly regularly) but who knows. If it's something *I* can do, I'll give it a try. Or test anyway...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts