BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was bound to happen and it finally did. :mad:

Long story short, my 1999 K1200LT fell over on the right side. Now what????

Luckily, if fell over into the lawn, helping to soften the blow a little. Damn wind. No more side stand when it’s outside.

Other than the minor cosmetic damage, I initially thought it was okay. Come to find out the front brake micro switch got smashed when the brake lever over rotated forward. And by doing so, also broke the housing just forward of the brake lever on the front brake master cylinder. Still useable but I still want to replace.

So far the parts list is a front brake micro switch and a front brake master cylinder.

The strange part :confused: .......

Cruise doesn't work and the rear brake light doesn't work, with either the front brake lever, (obviously due to the micro switch). But, the rear brake pedal doesn’t activate the brake light either. I did check the bulb and it’s good.

Don’t know if it is somehow related to the micro switch being broken and “out of the loop” or if there is another problem. Trying to figure it out on my own before I take to the dealer. TOOOOO much money.

Any Ideas/input????

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I have some spare parts, and I believe I have the perch, lever, master cylinder that you need.

Also, maybe it is time you filled out your profile and lost the "un" part of your identity... :rolleyes: You might find there is a member or twelve fairly close to you who might very well be willing to help you out.

Just sayin'.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
deputy5211 said:
I have some spare parts, and I believe I have the perch, lever, master cylinder that you need.

Also, maybe it is time you filled out your profile and lost the "un" part of your identity... :rolleyes: You might find there is a member or twelve fairly close to you who might very well be willing to help you out.

Just sayin'.
Updated...somewhat. :)

That would be awesome. Let me know what ya have and your asking price. PM me if you like.

I'm still shopping around and found both on eBay. But, just not sure of the compatibility for a 99' and other year models. That, and just not sure of what part number I need.

Problem is, unfortunately, when I bought the bike it had an oil leak somewhere around the engine and transmission that didn't show itself until after I bought it and put a few hundred miles on it. May be something minor I'm not sure. Haven’t had time to take a closer look at it.

And the real kicker, I think the clutch is slipping. Started that after the bike fell. Coincidence?

So once the CFO (Chief Financial Officer) aka “The Wife”, gives me the go ahead, I may end up taking it in and having it all taken care of. Would just like to do some of it myself to help soften the blow a little.

·
Registered
795 Posts
UnKnownRider said:
Updated...somewhat. :)...it had an oil leak somewhere around the engine and transmission that didn't show itself until after I bought it and put a few hundred miles on it...And the real kicker, I think the clutch is slipping...
Sounds like a clutch job / contaminated clutch to me from other posts I have read, I'm sure one of the more technically literate folks will chime in with more definitive questions but in the mean time you might want to pick up some flowers to start buttering up the CFO - sorry

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
A few dealers have on line parts. I use the one on MAX BMW site.

Best
Bob

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
copperstatetour said:
Sounds like a clutch job / contaminated clutch to me from other posts I have read, I'm sure one of the more technically literate folks will chime in with more definitive questions but in the mean time you might want to pick up some flowers to start buttering up the CFO - sorry
If showing a leak before tipover the clutch was probably already on the way to being contaminated by leaking main seal or clutch slave.

If clutch is changed, be sure to do the slave, drill the weep hole and change all the engine and trans seals, then conside upgrading the pivot bearings as well.

While Final Drive is off you may want to have it rebuilt as well.
You will need these tools if you do the work yourself.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69136

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
copperstatetour said:
+1

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Just rent/borrow a trailer and come on out to Dallas for a few days. We can fix the brake lever etc, and also do your clutch and seals.

Your travel expenses are almost certain to come out be be about a third to a half of the dealer's labor fees. My labor is free.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You definitely need clutch and the job is a big one but I am living proof that anyone with the nerve to try it, a good box of tools, a few special tools that you can make with a grinder and a dremel, a good friend, a fair amount of patients, and a decent place to work can get it done. By the way, if you ever need it the same job is pretty much required to replace the starter. Go figure. Watch the videos at the link below to get a good idea what you are in for. IT only gets you to the transmission but it covers a lot. Search on clutch and you will find lots of help and information in including parts lists needed so you can order before you start. Good Luck

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53532&highlight=weep

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
deputy5211 said:
Just rent/borrow a trailer and come on out to Dallas for a few days. We can fix the brake lever etc, and also do your clutch and seals.

Your travel expenses are almost certain to come out be be about a third to a half of the dealer's labor fees. My labor is free.
If only....But, don't have the time. But thanks for the offer.

·
Registered
795 Posts
If you have any mechanical skills whatsoever I say go for it, the dealer price of a clutch is big bucks. Get a Clymer's manual and a BMW shop manual to help and of course the best resource of all is this site. Save yourself a couple grand and learn your bike inside and out.

This is the kind of project I would never dream of doing myself, however watching this site I have learned that the answer to any problem is already there, and if it isn't, there are a lot of knowledgable guys here to give you an answer - just don't be afraid to ask. If my clutch went I would have no anxiety about tackling it myself because of this site.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
UPDATE..........

Got a used front brake micro switch off eBay for less than $25 shipping included.

Took all the front plastic off, (lt & rt handlebar covers, both side panels, wind screen, tank cover, fork cover, mirrors, wind deflectors and head light fairing) to ease in replacing and running wires.

Got to take it out for a short test ride......Good news is cruise and brake lights are working :) , bad news clutch is slipping. :mad: Did the 5th gear test.

Anybody have a list of parts of what I will need to do the clutch myself. And a list of "while your in there ya might as well take care of these"

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
UnKnownRider said:
Anybody have a list of parts of what I will need to do the clutch myself. And a list of "while your in there ya might as well take care of these"
Clickety-Click

·
Registered
149 Posts
deputy5211 said:

I recently bought an 02, with a bad clutch..NO WAY could I afford to have it done, so rolled up my sleeves and took on the job. I was actually much easier than I had imagined it would be, would have been even easier if I had paid attention to the measurements on the out put shaft seal depth and installed the seal to the right depth. Buy or borrow the proper tools and have at it..even if you take two weeks to do it on your own, it will be well worth the time and money, not to mention the experience.

The worst part for me at 66 was the rolling around on the floor and the up and down.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
olddog1946 said:
I recently bought an 02, with a bad clutch..NO WAY could I afford to have it done, so rolled up my sleeves and took on the job. I was actually much easier than I had imagined it would be, would have been even easier if I had paid attention to the measurements on the out put shaft seal depth and installed the seal to the right depth. Buy or borrow the proper tools and have at it..even if you take two weeks to do it on your own, it will be well worth the time and money, not to mention the experience.

The worst part for me at 66 was the rolling around on the floor and the up and down.
Was no better at 51... What makes it worse is that someone stole my lift table two weeks before! New one should be here this week.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.