BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having an issue with reverse, everything works but will not engaging. I have been chasing wires. According to the wiring diagram it shows a black wire from the starting relay to the load relay. I do not see it going to any other item such as a connector or part. Per the wiring diagram it shows it to be directly wired

Checking it with an ohm meter from the starter relay to the load relay I am showing an open. I would think I should have continuity. Maybe showing a couple of ohms at the most.

Could this be the reason the starter will not engage when put in reverse?
I have continuity from the reverse switch.

Any suggestions?

Should I run a new lead from the starter relay to the load relay pin. :confused:

I have tried to trace the wires ( two)from the starter relay but they are in a plastic cover and seem to run to the rear of the bike under the rear seat.

Thanks in advance for the help

Al

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I do not see that wire in particular preventing the starter from turning while in reverse. Now if the connection where that same wire goes from the start relay to connector just before the reverse module is open, yes, no spinny. Doesn't explain your measured open condition though.

Regardless, have you checked all the interlocks? Clutch switch open? I believe a clutch switch stuck closed would only show up while trying to engage cruise, reversing or able to start in gear.

Since the neutral indicator gets its signal from the reverse module you should be good there if showing green. If your reverse light comes on, the reverse switch is good.

So, yep, I'd guess if all visual indicators are good, verify clutch switch open, a good ring from the ground side of start relay to who knows what pin on the reverse module (sorry no help there:)) If there are no breaks in the power to the starter from the relay, I might be worried about the reverser module.

I don't believe the speed sensor will fail in such a way as to not allow any reverse, but this can be verified by disconnecting the connector for the speed sensor on the right rail. The reverser will back a few feet and stop with the sensor out of the system.

Good luck, and JZ will probably be able to help soon.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Upon further review, it appears the clutch switch has no effect on the reverser. Mine reverses with clutch in or out. Not sure why that's shown in the system. Hoping your problem is the open circuit you found.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the bike used and reverse has never worked. I have the bike opened up for surgury. Mostly exploratory and to learn the bike. Trying to fix some of the minor issues.

I checked the switch and it is good. When putting it into reverse everything does as it should but it will not move rpm increases, light is on but no movement.

As for the balck wire I can not see it going anywhere else on my wiring diagram ( Clymer manual) If there is a better wiring diagram and information on location of all the connectors I would shell out my second born!!! ( he eats alot so you may not want him)

Thanks for the help
Al

1 - 4 of 4 Posts