BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I put her all back together, I have a brake issue I can't figure out - Help!

1. when I turn the key on, the brake light flashes for a second, then flashes very fast and does not shut off

2. I don't think the brake motor or whatever goes on when you pull the brake handle or step on the pedal (it definitely makes a sound) is working. I hear nothing when I engage either now

3. I stripped her down, and I hear a clicking that goes with the blinking light. The clicking seems to come from under the tank ... like somewhere near the air cleaner I would guess.

I am not sure what other info would help with troubleshooting ... but I need HELP. I don't like the thought of riding if there is a brake issue.

Thanks in advance!
Steve

·
Registered
220 Posts
You say you put it back together. What did you disassemble/remove/replace?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,915 Posts
Steve,

What was the last thing you did to the brake system? Did you adjust that pedal down? If so it sounds like the brake light switch is still on. That will cause the brake system to not complete the self test. Double check that. Also if you made an adjustment to the push rod that goes into the rear master cylinder make sure there is some free play there or the brakes will not release.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Also, with the servo brakes you cannot ride if the servo isn't functioning - the brake function will be totally inadequate! The clicking sound is the relay, probably no problem there. Check the obvious first - are all wiring harness connectors plugged in properly in the areas you worked on? Is the rear brake light switch at the foot pedal aligned properly?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies ...

I took it apart to paint all the plastics. While apart I took the gas tank off to move the fuel filter to under the passenger seat, I changed the oil and filter, checked the air filter, changed out the fuel quick connects, hard wired a zumo 550 gps, modified the front turn signals to running lights as well, added LED's behind the saddlebag reflectors for running lights and turn signals, HID headlight ...

I didn't think I had done anything with the brake system ... but I must have?

One other thing I noticed ... the rear brake lights are on all the time.

Any thoughts guys?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,915 Posts
PastorSteve said:
Thanks for the replies ...

One other thing I noticed ... the rear brake lights are on all the time.

Any thoughts guys?
That is the problem. Check the switch at the brake pedal, make sure you can hear it click off an on. Then go to the lever and push out on it and see if the light goes off. These two switches send a signal to the ABS unit that there is a demand for braking and it then lights the brake lights. The lights must be off or the brakes will not clear the self test. (late 2001 to 09)

You must find the switch that is stuck on.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jzeiler said:
That is the problem. Check the switch at the brake pedal, make sure you can hear it click off an on. Then go to the lever and push out on it and see if the light goes off. These two switches send a signal to the ABS unit that there is a demand for braking and it then lights the brake lights. The lights must be off or the brakes will not clear the self test. (late 2001 to 09)

You must find the switch that is stuck on.
John,

Thanks, I will check tomorrow when I can spend the time and have the room and light. Do you think the saddlebag lights could have any affect? Also ... could any trunk wiring have gone goofy and be affecting this as well?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
39 Posts
Where you hooked up the extra lights in the rear, see if you have anything backfeeding power into the brake light circuit.

Bob

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I GOT IT!

Thanks for all the help and direction guys ...

After some tracing and retracing, I found that when I did the fuel filter relocation, the rear brake pedal wiring had come loose at the connection right under the fuel quick connects. I did not notice it before, becasue it was loose in the fittings, not completely apart.

Plugged it back in, and after a series of tests, I am back to normal ... well, at least the bike is.

Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts