BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 1999 1200lt. Before I bought it the seller put in a new Odyssey pc-680 battery. Is this a gel battery? I don't think it is. Anyway what type of battery tender would work for this battery? Is this as good or a battery as the bmw one?
Thanks for your help
-Brian

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Hi, Brian - I use a Deltran Battery Tender Plus on a 3 yr old Odyssey and seems to work just fine. It is a gel-mat type battery - can be sent thru the shipping services since it won't leak toxic stuff. Will retain a charge for quite some time, just parked on the workbench. I think it loses somethang like 1/10thV over a 24 hour period.

Best

·
Registered
558 Posts
That is a popular battery. I am considering one for my 99. It should use a normal battery tender from what I have read on the company site.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Small correction...

Dick said:
It is a gel-mat type battery
Actually, it is an AGM or Absorbed Glass Mat type battery NOT a gel type.

It's charging requirements are very similar to conventional lead acid batteries. The current BMW Gel Cell requires a rather unique charging algorithm, most AGMs and lead acid types do not.

A Battery Tender Plus works very well with the Odyssey battery.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Why does A gel battery need a special charger?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bmw plug in on battery tender plus?

Can you put the BMW plug on the battery tender plus so it can run off of the bike?

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
brianh178 said:
Can you put the BMW plug on the battery tender plus so it can run off of the bike?
Run off the bike? You mean charge the bike through the socket? Yep. In fact, the Battery Tender folks offer a pigtail with the BMW-type plug which can plug-n-play replace the pigtail with the battery clamps. I swap between the two pigtails frequently to go back and forth between the battery terminals on the R75/5 and the socket on the R100M.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts