BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been to this forum in awhile. l do remember someone offering their expertise in FD rebuilding. If someone would send me a link to a tread or contact I would be grateful. Thanks

John in CT

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
donnaiwanna said:
I haven't been to this forum in awhile. l do remember someone offering their expertise in FD rebuilding. If someone would send me a link to a tread or contact I would be grateful. Thanks

John in CT
The name that i remember is Charlie VT

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
You are practically next door to Curtis (AKA CharlieVT). He does good work. He might be tied up tapping Maple trees though.........

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
IIRC, Curtis (CharlieVT) is not doing final drives any longer. Dave (Saddleman in NC) and John (JZeiler in AL) do. Both are GREAT mechanics and know what they're doing on the end of a wrench. I'd trust either to work on my LT. HTH!

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Lee510 said:
IIRC, Curtis (CharlieVT) is not doing final drives any longer. Dave (Saddleman in NC) and John (JZeiler in AL) do. Both are GREAT mechanics and know what they're doing on the end of a wrench. I'd trust either to work on my LT. HTH!
I might do a final drive or two in the future, but now's sure not a good time. Maple Sugaring season is upon us. Sweet! :)

I give a strong endorsement to Dave Selvig (saddleman). Dave is a professional NASCAR engine builder and understands the KLT final drive. When I stopped taking final drives for rebuild/repair, I asked Dave to accept my referrals.

John Zeiler is also a professional with a background in aviation maintenance (GO NAVY!), and also an excellent choice.

You couldn't do better than either of these guys.

John in CT,
If you just want your FD fixed you couldn't do better than sending it to either Dave and John. If you are interested in a "tech session" and would like to get into your final drive and see how it is done, and you're willing to wait a couple of months, then you could bring it up here and we could go through it together.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a '99 with a speedometer encoder that is spinning and as such, need to remove the final drive to reseat that part. I am considering that when I have the drive out of the bike rebuilding the Crown Bearing. At this point I am considering doing it myself, but was wondering if anyone knows people in Northern Cal who do this work?

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Xtian said:
I have a '99 with a speedometer encoder that is spinning and as such, need to remove the final drive to reseat that part. I am considering that when I have the drive out of the bike rebuilding the Crown Bearing. At this point I am considering doing it myself, but was wondering if anyone knows people in Northern Cal who do this work?
Drain the drive really well.
Remove the FD from the bike.
Remove the input driveshaft U-joint.
Remove the brake rotor.
Double bag in heavy duty plastic bags so residual oil doesn't get out.
It will fit in a USPS (US Postal Service) Priortiy Flat Rate Medium shipping box and will ship anywhere in the country for about $15.

Contact Dave Selvig (aka Saddleman) on this site to see if he is available to do your drive. Another good choice would be John Z, also on this site.

BTW, not sure what you mean by a "speedometer encoder that is spinning" but, it is is the "castle" ring inside the FD that the sensor picks up you may have an underlying issue. That is, the "creeping" input pinion needle bearing race which is known to displace the speedometer sending ring. You want someone who is familiar with this problem and has experience fixing it.

If you choose to do it yourself, post pics and we can talk you through your findings. If you do find the creeping needle bearing race problem you will have a bigger challenge. This requires disassembly of the input pinion shaft, pressing the race back on, best done with some method of preventing the "creep" in the future. Disassembly of the input pinion shaft requires special tools, heat, and high torque values.
HTH

·
Registered
7 Posts
CharlieVT said:
Remove the brake rotor.
It will fit in a USPS (US Postal Service) Priortiy Flat Rate Medium shipping box and will ship anywhere in the country for about $15.

Contact Dave Selvig (aka Saddleman) on this site to see if he is available to do your drive. Another good choice would be John Z, also on this site.

BTW, not sure what you mean by a "speedometer encoder that is spinning" but, it is is the "castle" ring inside the FD that the sensor picks up you may have an underlying issue. That is, the "creeping" input pinion needle bearing race which is known to displace the speedometer sending ring. You want someone who is familiar with this problem and has experience fixing it.

If you choose to do it yourself, post pics and we can talk you through your findings. If you do find the creeping needle bearing race problem you will have a bigger challenge. This requires disassembly of the input pinion shaft, pressing the race back on, best done with some method of preventing the "creep" in the future. Disassembly of the input pinion shaft requires special tools, heat, and high torque values.
HTH
Charlie, thank for the quick and succinct response. The issue is the Castle ring, in control systems it would be a shaft encoder, I like castle better. Based upon your findings about the pinion race I am going to contact Dave or John to see if they can rebuild it.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
CharlieVT said:
Remove the brake rotor.

HTH

Correction: I should have said a LARGE USPS flat rate shipping box, not "medium"... but you probably would have figured that out pretty quickly. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
CharlieVT said:
Correction: I should have said a LARGE USPS flat rate shipping box, not "medium"... but you probably would have figured that out pretty quickly. ;)
I took CharlieVT's recommendation and Contacted Dave Selvig (aka Saddleman) and got a quote to rebuild the drive and it was very reasonable. I am going to pull the drive ship it to him (in a large USPS box) in November during my trip to Alabama for the opening of dear hunting season. He should have it back to me such that I probably will not even miss a weekend of riding here in Northern California.

Charlie thanks for the excellent recommendation!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Dave does a great job on the rebuild. He did mine in September and was able to get some riding in before the weather starting on going down hill in Michigan. I can't wait until next year already.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts