BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a relatively light weight retracting device (similar to an air hose reel) for me battery tender. I'm interested in mounting it to the ceiling above where I park my GT so it's easy to pull down and retract when not using it. I found a fishing option, but the tether is too short and it has no ratchet tool. I've looked at many options in the Portland/Vancouver area with no success. Anybody have success in finding something like that? Thanks for any feedback/suggestions.

Denny
Ridgefield, WA
09 K1300 GT
K1200 LT Sold

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would think a cord reel for a trouble light or service light would probably be able to suspend that much weight. You might want to reconfigure the wiring to make it dedicated, or some of the trouble lights have a plug on the side of the handle/switch.

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
I have a power receptacle above my bike and I just keep the tender plugged in and hanging. It is beside a power cord and tells me where to stop. It's pretty easy to run power in an attic above the garage.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Another approach is to put the tender wherever and use a longer charging cable. I bought a 25' extension cable (sold by the Battery Tender folks) with SAE connectors on each end. Find it HERE,

Just unplug the battery clips, hardwire, accessory plug connector from the charging lead of the tender and insert the extension cord. Easy peasy to then suspend the cable from above the bike, and you can re-purpose a light duty retractor since you only have the end of cord weight and not the whole tender.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Tony. I am interested in mounting my battery tender on the ceiling next to my AC plug and then adding a light-weight retractor to hold the 2-prong plug-in I can just pull down and plug into my Centech fuse block. I've found some reels for drop lights and plugs, but nothing light with a long enough tether. It just seemed that the drop light and AC plug reels were overkill. That could end up being the way to go. Thanks for the link - I appreciate the response.

Denny

·
Registered
88 Posts
How about a simple pully, string, weight combo to have it pulled up when you release. I assume you want it to hang down low enough to reach it while still out of the way when walking under it.

I personally park my bike on my Handy air lift. Have a retractable cord overhead. When parked for any length of time, I pull the cord down and plug in the charger.

If you need a drawing, let me know. I have used this technique for various things including an automatic sliding glass door closer (darn kids never would close the door ;).

·
Registered
607 Posts
Some of the better drop lights have outlets on them. Would that help?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Just get one used for AC, Cut the ends off of it and install the appropriate socket and plug....Somebody probably makes one, But finding it might be a challenge..

You could also just cut the charging lead off the battery tender and wire it to the retractable cord...

Good Luck :wave

John

·
Registered
509 Posts
Like Pace said....how about a simple string and weight? Get the length and the weight just right...maybe even add a knot/stop so it only "recoils" so far...and it'd be brilliant. See attached

Attachments

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Hey Denny, I think John's suggestion here is the best solution. I could even come up and do the deed if you need help. Just let me know when.

John
JPSpen said:
Just get one used for AC, Cut the ends off of it and install the appropriate socket and plug....Somebody probably makes one, But finding it might be a challenge..

You could also just cut the charging lead off the battery tender and wire it to the retractable cord...

Good Luck :wave

John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts