BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 99 k1200 lt to make a bucket list trip over Lolo pass. Seller assured me the bike was well taken care of and ready to go.
Five hours into a three day ride the final drive let out the magic juice. Limped to the nearest motel and grabbed the service manual that came with the bike. Called the closed dealer to home and talked to the most uneducated parts person in existence. Kept trying to sell me the tapered bearing rather than the ball bearing and seal. Called another dealer to find out that because of the age of the bike they couldn't rebuild the drive but could sell me a new one for 2500. I didn't bother to ask how much the install would cost. I have been studying up on final drives ( mostly on this forum ) and find I need specialty tools. Anyway I have seen rebuild or exchange listed here but all the posts I have seen were over ten years old. After buying the bike I had 500 left for title registration and insurance. Then it cost 600 to get the bike home. What to do? Where to go? I really wanted to like this bike. At 61 years old it was supposed to be my last.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,122 Posts
If you can get your hands on the big bearing and are fairly handy you can do an emergency field repair anywhere.

Attachments

Reactions: imst0ked

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. I'm new at the online group thing and don't know my way around. Is there a contact list or directory somewhere?
Wife and I would love to make a couple trips before it gets too cold. How on earth does a person ship something like this. Haven't even been able to find a depth measuring ring I'm supposed to need so can't even order parts till after the preload measurements. I need help

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mr Jones. It sounds like you got the bike home at the expense of your three day ride. The previous version of the forum would prevent you from sending a private message or in it's current form, starting a conversation with someone until you had at least 15 posts but I am not sure about this new software and how it is configured. If you are interested in contacting Dave, ( Saddleman), we usually are able to get people in touch with each other due to the minimum post limitation. Are you looking for help rebuilding it yourself or having someone like Dave do the job for you. Dave has done well over 100 for forum members and you won't get a better job anywhere else.

Reactions: Notahog and Voyager

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,122 Posts
That is true on Dave, although he is getting eye surgery tomorrow so it will be a few days before he could get to it.

Rear drives on the early bikes are a crap shoot, they will be just fine for many miles and wham. Frequent oil changes and inspection of the drain plug magnet is your best insurance. You didn't say how many miles were on it. For the drives that I rebuilt I went to a local shipper and had them make me a foam molded cardboard box for shipping, but a good dose of bubble wrap will protect it. The tangs for the brake line clips are the most vulnerable to breakage.

Also welcome to the forum and LT ownership, can't find a better two up bike ever. We will help you get through this so you can enjoy your LT.

Reactions: kbob12 and Voyager

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow. Thanks to everyone for the encouraging words. I have pulled the cover with the drive on the bike after it got home thinking I wouldn't have to get the tools to re install the pivot bearings. Seems to me I'm going to need it no matter what I do. The preload measurements is way over my head in the back yard so I need to have it re built by someone better equipped. Look like it has been apart once before so 2 drives in 67k seems about par. Need to find where to send it and how to get it there.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I'm new at the online group thing and don't know my way around. Is there a contact list or directory somewhere?
Wife and I would love to make a couple trips before it gets too cold. How on earth does a person ship something like this. Haven't even been able to find a depth measuring ring I'm supposed to need so can't even order parts till after the preload measurements. I need help
I don't think there's a directory. But if you know the name of the member, you can click on the three vertical dots in the upper right, then click on Advanced Search, then type the member's name in the box where it asks for it, then click search, and you'll get a list of posts by that member. Click on one of the posts, then click on the members name where it appears as part of the post.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info. Sent a message off. Hoping for a speedy recovery for the bike too

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Get a Clymers service manual from amazon it will get to you in a day or two. They read how to remove final drive. You want to disconnect the pivot journals and the torque bar and small stuff as in the manual.
Then you can mail it to Saddleman via a large USPS Box or some similar system. He is your best choice. Sorry your trip was messed up.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I had a 99 also and my drive went out at 127K and Dave rebuilt it for me. Dave even sent me the tools to get the final drive off the bike. He does great work and guarantees his labor for as long as you own it. I got one of the USPS boxes and packed it up and mailed it to Dave.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a 99 also and my drive went out at 127K and Dave rebuilt it for me. Dave even sent me the tools to get the final drive off the bike. He does great work and guarantees his labor for as long as you own it. I got one of the USPS boxes and packed it up and mailed it to Dave.
Got the box. Now I need to figure out how to pack it to survive the trip. Dave even took the time to call. Was very knowledgeable and encouraging when I was about ready to give up.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,122 Posts
I add extra layers of cardboard inside the box, it does not add much bulk but helps prevent "poke through". Dave is a great guy, your drive will be in good hands.

Reactions: hschisler

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I add extra layers of cardboard inside the box, it does not add much bulk but helps prevent "poke through". Dave is a great guy, your drive will be in good hands.
I was contemplating a 1/8 inch plywood liner for the box but I am still staring at it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I was contemplating a 1/8 inch plywood liner for the box but I am still staring at it.
If that final drive whacks into something during shipping, it's the other thing that's gonna get damaged! :)

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
Got the box. Now I need to figure out how to pack it to survive the trip. Dave even took the time to call. Was very knowledgeable and encouraging when I was about ready to give up.
When I shipped mine, I double boxed it. I also drained the oil as throughly as I could and then placed it inside a garbage bag to prevent oil leaking out. That will definitely get the shipper’s attention and not in a good way. The main thing to protect well are the ears where the brake line clips on. I think these are the most fragile part of the FD. I wrapped mine in a garbage bag, placed it inside a tight fitting box, packed around it with tightly wadded paper, and then placed that box inside a box that was a couple inches larger overall and put foam packing peanuts to keep the inner box centered roughly inside the outer box. Probably overkill, but it did the trick.

Reactions: DRONE
1 - 16 of 16 Posts