BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd welcome your help solving what I hope will be a minor problem with the electric system on my 2005 K1200LT.

I wanted to go for a ride today. I clicked the ignition switch on and got a dead electric system. No dash lights, no operating lights, nothing. I hooked up a battery tender and two minutes later turned the ignition key to the on position. Everything lit up, plenty of power, and the engine cranked right over. The bike idled for a few minutes then I turned it off and rolled it out of the garage.

When I tried to start it a few minutes later, same thing happened. Completely dead electrics. I hooked up the battery tender again, BUT DIDN'T PLUG IT IN, got some minor sparking when the alligator clips touched the battery terminals, everything lit up and the bike started.

I let it idle while I put on my gear. Presto! As soon as I was ready to go, the bike stopped running, dead dashboard, no headlights, etc. What the heck?

I rolled it back into the garage, connected the battery tender to the terminals again, didn't plug it in, turned on the ignition and everything lit up and the bike started.

Any idea what's going on here?

Thanks!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Two things come to mind: an electrical open circuit (as in the red battery cable or something close) or a fried battery. When you are running you are powered by the alternator. When you are "cold iron" the battery provides cranking current.

If the battery is more than five years old then you could/should think about replacing it. If you are as techy as I want to be you will find yourself pulling off the tupperware and testing connections.

·
Registered
681 Posts
You might want to check the connections to your battery terminals. If I'm hearing you right, you put the charger clamps on the terminals of the battery, and even tho the charger is not plugged in it makes everything work? I would check the terminal connections first, take them off, clean them, put them back on...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Imho.... possible loose earth connection or grounding out somewhere. If your getting sparks from hooking up the battery without the charger being plugged in it sounds as though it's holding but check i'd it anyway...

:bmw:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,341 Posts
Mike_H said:
I hooked up the battery tender again, BUT DIDN'T PLUG IT IN, got some minor sparking when the alligator clips touched the battery terminals, everything lit up and the bike started.
Based on that alone I would say a terminal is loose on the battery. Double check the connections. Wiggle them around if you get sparks then that one is loose.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
+1 on the open circuit . You might need to clean & tighten up the battery connections.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts