BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
EDIT -- OOOPS! Sorry Darrell -- I inadvertantly edited your post when replying, and couldn't restore it!! I'll go back to moderator's school to get requalified on the new software :)

I wear a 43/43 (~size 9). I shift with the lever at the shift pad on my left boot, just about at the joint behind the big toe.

Just to check, I went out and sat on the bike, and realized I unconsciously slide my foot forward as a shift, with the heel going from behind the peg to above (not in front of) the foot peg rubber. Happens so fast I didn't even notice at first. You may want to try this for a week or so to see if you can get comfortable with it.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Maybe you need to shift where your foot rests

Hmmmm. Do you hook you heals over the foot pegs? I wear a 10 1/2 boot and the shifter catches me just at the joint where the toe connects to the foot. I ride with the balls of my feet on the foot pegs, so when I shift I guess I move my foot forward a little bit farther than you do.

Just guessing here.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Umm...two comments off the top of my head. 1) You really need to start wearing riding boots. I don't care if that shifter is hitting you in the toe...now way should it be turning your toe nail WHITE if they're a quality pair of boots. ...and 2) Like Steve said, simply move your foot forward.

To be frank, your post baffles me. And I think I can speak for many that your post will confuse the majority. I'm not saying this to offend you, but to get you thinking that perhaps, it's something that you are doing differently than all of us.

Food for thought. Take a bite, or spit it out.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Joe .... work on that avatar.

Joe, your avatar looks like a snoopy ballarina to a blind old guy like me. You need a manly man's avatar. Or something hocky like mine :D

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
It's 'Joe Cool' on a motorbike . . . and I happen to like it. It's a pic of a pin that I wear on my riding gear, given to me by Bob Menton. He's a lot like me . . . a lot nicer in person than on the forum. ;)

I'll try to make it a little more clear for the older eyes in the group. AS for yours . . . umm . . . yea . . . it's "hockey" alright. Or, is that "hokey" you wuz tryin' to spell? :confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
:confused:
I understand the problem Darrell. I suffer from it to.
European size 42. about size 8/8.5
I asked the dealer about it. They say there is nothing that can be done short of cutting a section out of the leaver and rewelding it. They would not recommend that.
BTW What happened the board last night. Its all changed. I had to re register.

Cha

·
Registered
95 Posts
Having fun wth ya

messenger13 said:
It's 'Joe Cool' on a motorbike . . . and I happen to like it. .......it's "hockey" alright. Or, is that "hokey" you wuz tryin' to spell? :confused:
I know... I wuz just pickin on you. Please accept my hart felt apologie.

·
Registered
634 Posts
messenger13 said:
now way should it be turning your toe nail WHITE if they're a quality pair of boots.
I agree.
I have a pair of SIDI boots, they have a hard plastic piece at the top of the boot where it makes contact with the shifter lever.

I don't feel any pressure at all. I wear a 12 (usa) boot.

Another though, Try to use less pressure when upshifting. the LT doesn't take kindly to banging the shifter into gear....

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies. I am wearing riding boots. They even have the reinforced area on top where the shifting pegs on my other bikes contact them. Of course, the reinforced area of the boot is about 1.5" behind where the LT shift peg makes contact. It's good to know that I'm not the only person who's experienced this. Maybe I just need to use a different technique on the LT, like sliding my foot forward. It just seems to me that with my foot in the normal riding position, which I assume is with the heel of my boot behind the footpeg, that the shift peg would contact the boot at the proper place. I was just curious if anyone made a shorter shift lever. BTW, my other 2 bikes measure 6.5" from the trailing edge of the foot pegs to the center of the shift pegs, the LT measures 7.75". Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Me too

Hi Darrell ,My big toe nail gets a little presser on it also . But mine turns purple . If I keep the nail trimmed up it usually doesn't do it , but that toe is a long way down there so it don't get done . ...Patric ...

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Steel toed shoes?? Maybe??

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
HunkOfBurninLuv said:
Joe, your avatar looks like a snoopy ballarina to a blind old guy like me. You need a manly man's avatar. Or something hocky like mine :D

HAHAHA LMAO I thought the same thing, never looked at it close enough till now. Sorry for what I was thinking Joe.
:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
need a shorter shifter

with a 8.5 shoe i have always had that problem , so i have adjusted by placeing my heel on the peg while shifting up or down, it saves on trying to reconfigure the pegs or shifter.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm starting to think that this is a fairly common problem. I wonder if any of the aftermarket folks would be willing to tackle it. I'd be the first in line for a replacement shifter of shorter length.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Shift adjustment

Picked up a new 05LT last summer and the shift lever was too far from the front of my boot. The manual said that the shifter was adjustable. I was used to the position of my 1976 R75 so I asked the dealer and got it shortened so it is where I want it. My boot is a square toe type with 3/4 western heal, not easy to slide forward. I thought as the bike was new and I only had it a week they would make the adjustment as part of the prep and delivery (not), the adjustment cost $80.

With all these little Icons you think they would have one with $$ signs on it for the BMW riders.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Another option might be the "peg lowering kit". It lowers the peg and moves it forward a bit too. I have just the opposite problem, I want my shifter longer. I wear a size 13 wide gunboat and have troubles sometimes getting my toe up under the shifter. I can't wear my work boots (steel toes) to ride because the toe is far too thick to go under the shifter. You may want to look into that before you try steel toes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts