BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, got to Durango last night and a bear tore the seat off my 06 RT. anyone know where I can maybe find a seat near here?

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Quick search, I found a Basin Motorcycle Works ( 970-533-7005) in Mancos. Looks about 50 miles from your location. Small Independent BMW adventure shop but they might be able to help.

Otherwise you could try calling Rick Mayer Cycles ( the seat maker), he usually has stock seats on the shelf for swap outs. He might be able to overnight one to you.
530 357 2888

good luck

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have a new, non-heated seat I can FedEX to you. Paypal works. $150 plus shipping cost (no add-on)

PM me with your enmail, where to send it, and I will send a PayPal invoice to you and get it out this afternoon FedEX overnight.

Brian

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ponch said:
Do you have the old seat or did the bear make off with it? There also www.outwestmcw.com in Montrose, which is north of you.

I have the seat but he broke the seat pan in half when he clawed it off the bike.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have just the rider seat, heated off of a 2010 RT that I will send your way if that will work on an 06. If it is interchangebale I can send it your way and we can work details out when you are back in Dallas. I am in the North DFW area. Let me know.

·
Registered
296 Posts
moralem said:
I have just the rider seat, heated off of a 2010 RT that I will send your way if that will work on an 06. If it is interchangebale I can send it your way and we can work details out when you are back in Dallas. I am in the North DFW area. Let me know.
They should be interchangable. If there's a question, I can send mine out today with details to be worked out later as well. Heated / may fit.... not heated / will fit.

Also - mine is rider only as well - no pillion.

either way, let us know...

Brian

·
Registered
96 Posts
If it is just the riders seat, I have a non heated that I took off my wife's 2006 RT and replaced with a Corbin. Not sure if your bike is rideable at all, but I am in Albuquerque, which is just 4 hours from Durango. Let me know if this will help.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I hope everything works out. I do have a question - how is it that a bear tore the seat off the bike? I'm sure other readers are as curious as I am. Again, I hope you get back in the "saddle" soon.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I'm with Tracas on this. There's gotta be a story and maybe some pictures out there. A bear getting your saddle - this is too interesting to let slide by.

JayJay

·
Registered
820 Posts
Tracus said:
I hope everything works out. I do have a question - how is it that a bear tore the seat off the bike? I'm sure other readers are as curious as I am. Again, I hope you get back in the "saddle" soon.
My son and I had the seats of our snowmobiles (snow machines to our Alaskan and Canadian friends) attacked and destroyed by a bear near Aspen. Bears are also known to attack and destroy hot tub covers. When we spoke with the Division of Wildlife Officer and reported the attack on our snowmobile seats he explained that off-gassing of formic acid from the seats (and hot tub covers) is the probable reason for the bear attacks. Ants produce formic acid naturally and of course bears love to dig into ant hills for treats. Beekeepers also use formic acid to control parasites that attack honey bees. Since formic acid is used in tanning leathers and in production of some vinyls and polyurethane products, they believe the bears associate the smell of formic acid with ants and/or beehives which explains why they find snowmobile seats, hot tub covers and apparently BMW motorcycle seats tempting taste treats.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Moot said:
My son and I had the seats of our snowmobiles (snow machines to our Alaskan and Canadian friends) attacked and destroyed by a bear near Aspen. Bears are also known to attack and destroy hot tub covers. When we spoke with the Division of Wildlife Officer and reported the attack on our snowmobile seats he explained that off-gassing of formic acid from the seats (and hot tub covers) is the probable reason for the bear attacks. Ants produce formic acid naturally and of course bears love to dig into ant hills for treats. Beekeepers also use formic acid to control parasites that attack honey bees. Since formic acid is used in tanning leathers and in production of some vinyls and polyurethane products, they believe the bears associate the smell of formic acid with ants and/or beehives which explains why they find snowmobile seats, hot tub covers and apparently BMW motorcycle seats tempting taste treats.
I guess all the more reason to keep the bike inside.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can't tell you how warm it makes me feel for the outpouring of help that was offered. Since we are camping in a different place every night in our travels, having a seat mailed would have been difficult. I manged to get the seat pan lined up again where it was cracked in half and used duct tape to patch the top. It's not pretty, but working right now. I'll post pics when I get back to a computer, don't think I can do it with the iPhone. Btw, I saw the bear digging for ants under stumps earlier in the night.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
deanwoolsey said:
Formic acid huh? There goes all my "what've you been eating?" jokes.
I did sit on that seat for over 18 hrs straight prior to the bear attack. Could have played a role.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
So now when we are in bear country, not only do we have to hang our food up in a tree away from camp, the seat goes too ! :cool:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Ponch said:
May be a 500 S&W would be a good idea too. :corn:
Actually, not, Ponch. The S&W 500 is a real hand cannon, but for most folks, it is way too large. The 454, S&W 500 and 460 are too powerful for the owners to get a good shot off - because of the recoil and they are hard to hold - especially in a critical situation with the adrenaline flowing. 1st shot is on the paper, #2 - #6 are misses. The 357, 41 and 44 mag are better choices because most people can get all 6 rounds into a nice group.

Ammo is also VERY important. You don't want a round that comes apart in the fat of the bear. The 44 mag using the Buffalo Bore Brand 300 Grain Jacketed Flat Nose bullet (SKU 4B/20) will penetrate three (3) feet of muscle and bone (and fat). See: Buffalo Bore Ammo

Good Shooting !!!

Brian

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
BrianV said:
Actually, not, Ponch. The S&W 500 is a real hand cannon, but for most folks, it is way too large. The 454, S&W 500 and 460 are too powerful for the owners to get a good shot off - because of the recoil and they are hard to hold - especially in a critical situation with the adrenaline flowing. 1st shot is on the paper, #2 - #6 are misses. The 357, 41 and 44 mag are better choices because most people can get all 6 rounds into a nice group.

Ammo is also VERY important. You don't want a round that comes apart in the fat of the bear. The 44 mag using the Buffalo Bore Brand 300 Grain Jacketed Flat Nose bullet (SKU 4B/20) will penetrate three (3) feet of muscle and bone (and fat). See: Buffalo Bore Ammo

Good Shooting !!!

Brian
I am not most folks...and if I going face to face with griz, it's going to be something powerful enough to take it out. A .357 will just piss off a 800 lb bear.

Now, if I could carry my 444 on the bike, that might work too. A lot better than a 44 mag... :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts