BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my LT back in the beginning of July, the Navigator III mount/cradle was installed on the bike, but the GPS unit was not included when the previous owner traded the bike in. I thought, no problem, i'll find one later. Much to my dismay, these are not easy to locate :brick:. I see one is for sale on e-bay (first one I've seen), but if i dont win the bid, I'm back at square one again. The bike also has a satellite radio unit and it is active, but I'm assuning that it is tied into the Navigator, since it will not work unless I attach a aux cable directly to the CD unit in the tank compartment.

Is there a better source to find one of these? I just need the GPS unit. The one for sale on E-bay is a complete package.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I suppose if you buy the complete kit you could sell the spare cradle to someone who needs one.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Find a Garmin 2820 and you can use the same cradle ( left side buttons might not work) and it has a area in the rear for the XM Radio antenna.

This is what I use and it works fine!!

Good luck.

Bowdon

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
bowdon said:
Find a Garmin 2820 and you can use the same cradle ( left side buttons might not work) and it has a area in the rear for the XM Radio antenna.
Exactly what I was thinking... I've had the III, but I did not like the lay-out of it. That AND YOU CAN NOT UPDATE THE MAPS!... Where as the 2820, you can... AND ITS PLUG AND PLAY... All of the wiring/connections are the same...

The III cradle will work, but it looks odd (Black cradle, gray 2820) you DO loose the 3 buttons on the side with the Garmin branded unit.

I gave my buddy the III, I already had a 2720, and made him purchase a cradle (mounts to the stock location)... So, he paid a whole $40 to get the III and the OEM cradle...

Garmin StreetPilot 2820
With preloaded street maps and built-in Bluetooth wireless capability, Garmin's StreetPilot 2820 is the ideal road companion for your car or motorcycle. Featuring hands-free calling, real-time traffic capabilities, MP3 player, audio book player, and an extensive points-of-interest database - this deluxe navigator has it all. The StreetPilot 2820 integrates wireless technology with a microphone and speaker that lets you make hands-free calls on a compatible Bluetooth phone. Motorcyclists can connect a Bluetooth-enabled headset or helmet simultaneously with a Bluetooth phone to the StreetPilot 2820 to talk hands-free on the road or receive wireless navigation audio prompts to their destination. In addition, easily look-up and dial numbers from your personalized phone book or from your phone's call history log. Don't know the phone number for your destination? Simply find and dial it from the StreetPilot 2820's extensive points of interest database - including hotels, restaurants, stores, and attractions. The StreetPilot 2820's MP3 player, audio book player and optional (Optional, because you have to pay XM, its loaded in the GPS) XM Radio keep you entertained on the road. The MP3 player allows you to browse music by artist, album, and/or song.

Keep an eye out in craiglist/ebay they are normally anywhere from $100-$200... Cheaper if the poor sap thinks its just an old GPS that no one really wants!... Usually those are cagers! :histerica

Case in point: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-Stre...1122524278?pt=GPS_Devices&hash=item3a7811a076

-$100! :rotf:

·
Premium Member
7,837 Posts
shoswell said:
Exactly what I was thinking... I've had the III, but I did not like the lay-out of it. That AND YOU CAN NOT UPDATE THE MAPS!... Where as the 2820, you can... AND ITS PLUG AND PLAY... All of the wiring/connections are the same...
Really? I have a BMW Nav III and the maps update just fine. Garmin even had the lifetime map option available for it so I bought that last year and just did my last map update a couple of months ago. Worked fine.

·
Registered
78 Posts
shoswell said:

The III cradle will work, but it looks odd (Black cradle, gray 2820) you DO loose the 3 buttons on the side with the Garmin branded unit.

I gave my buddy the III, I already had a 2720, and made him purchase a cradle (mounts to the stock location)... So, he paid a whole $40 to get the III and the OEM cradle...

Garmin StreetPilot 2820
With preloaded street maps and built-in Bluetooth wireless capability, Garmin's StreetPilot 2820 is the ideal road companion for your car or motorcycle. Featuring hands-free calling, real-time traffic capabilities, MP3 player, audio book player, and an extensive points-of-interest database - this deluxe navigator has it all. The StreetPilot 2820 integrates wireless technology with a microphone and speaker that lets you make hands-free calls on a compatible Bluetooth phone. Motorcyclists can connect a Bluetooth-enabled headset or helmet simultaneously with a Bluetooth phone to the StreetPilot 2820 to talk hands-free on the road or receive wireless navigation audio prompts to their destination. In addition, easily look-up and dial numbers from your personalized phone book or from your phone's call history log. Don't know the phone number for your destination? Simply find and dial it from the StreetPilot 2820's extensive points of interest database - including hotels, restaurants, stores, and attractions. The StreetPilot 2820's MP3 player, audio book player and optional (Optional, because you have to pay XM, its loaded in the GPS) XM Radio keep you entertained on the road. The MP3 player allows you to browse music by artist, album, and/or song.

Keep an eye out in craiglist/ebay they are normally anywhere from $100-$200... Cheaper if the poor sap thinks its just an old GPS that no one really wants!... Usually those are cagers! :histerica

Case in point: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-Stre...1122524278?pt=GPS_Devices&hash=item3a7811a076

-$100! :rotf:
I to have the Nav III and just did a map upgrade 2 weeks ago. Piece of cake. So far, I like the Nav III. Took some getting used to, but it's does the job.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I missed the end of the auction on E-Bay for the Navigator III. Went ahead and purchased a 2820 on E-Bay instead.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BMWprofessor said:
What did the unit on ebay go for?
The Navigator III was up to $360 the last time I looked and two of the bidders had "auto" bids, so I dont know how high it ended up.

I got the 2820, with some accessories for $300 to my door.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.