BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I plan to start changing my own oil because the dealer is just insane for what they want and I'm starting to drive it a lot and packing on the miles. My question is how often do you do the tranny fluid or final drive fluid? I plan on doing the engine oil every 3K, I assume the others might be yearly? And yes I used the search, but didn't quite find this info (or didn't see it, I'm sure it's here). Thank you.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I know this isn't going to help you out much, but I go by UOA (used oil analysis). I send my oil in for sampling, and the company will tell me, based on wear patterns and additive package (how much is still available), how long to go. Obviously this will be dependent on the oil you're using and how you ride, but it's a sure bet, not guess work. I'm out to a 9,000 mile engine oil interval.
Just something to consider, although not all are in agreement.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm new to the k1200 this year, but not to bikes and maintanence work. I have always changed oil every 5,000 miles and plan on doing the final drive at that time. Transmission every other oil change. I use semi-synthetic engine oil and full synthetic gear oil.

Just my opinion

Bob

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,942 Posts
+1 on what Steve said. If you have an early bike it would not hurt to do the rear drive at 6K along with the engine oil. Just to look for the infamous metal flakes.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
jzeiler said:
+1 on what Steve said. If you have an early bike it would not hurt to do the rear drive at 6K along with the engine oil. Just to look for the infamous metal flakes.
John I did the FD at 6K the last 2 times (54K & 60K)but it was so clean I will go back to 12K on the next one. :D
BTW year 2000 with the original FD :dance:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,942 Posts
katnapinn said:
John I did the FD at 6K the last 2 times (54K & 60K)but it was so clean I will go back to 12K on the next one. :D

Clean just means the gears are well worn in. Those pesky flakes can show up any time without warning. :p

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
fpmlt said:
I know this isn't going to help you out much, but I go by UOA (used oil analysis). I send my oil in for sampling, and the company will tell me, based on wear patterns and additive package (how much is still available), how long to go. Obviously this will be dependent on the oil you're using and how you ride, but it's a sure bet, not guess work. I'm out to a 9,000 mile engine oil interval.
Just something to consider, although not all are in agreement.
No doubt this is the best way to go. The main reason I don't do this is that, last time I checked anyway, the cost of the oil analysis was more than two oil changes! And it is a little messy to take the sample properly.

So, it was cheaper to just change every 5-6,000 which is about what I ride in a year. What analysis service do you use? What is the current cost for analysis?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I pay $9 for a sample, which is really easy to pull - you can either pull a sample from the engine, or grap some during the change.
I think Blackstone, or something like that, is $25.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a question pertaining to the gearbox fluid. I have looked at the BMW repair manual, and found the diagram for the gearbox, it indicated the drain plug and fill plug,so I kind of know where the fill plug is located on the gearbox, my question is, how do I access the fill plug. I did a search on the "hall of wisdom" and found plenty of info for draining the gear box but nothing on filling. I need to know what to pull in order to get to the fill plug. And any other bits of wisdom for performing this task would be appreciated
Thanks in advance :wave

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
TVPearson said:
I have a question pertaining to the gearbox fluid. I have looked at the BMW repair manual, and found the diagram for the gearbox, it indicated the drain plug and fill plug,so I kind of know where the fill plug is located on the gearbox, my question is, how do I access the fill plug. I did a search on the "hall of wisdom" and found plenty of info for draining the gear box but nothing on filling. I need to know what to pull in order to get to the fill plug. And any other bits of wisdom for performing this task would be appreciated
Fill Plug is behind the right drivers foot peg plate. 3 allen head bolts & 2 torx screws to remove to get to the plug.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I have an '01 and change engine oil, gear box, and FD every 6000 miles. Dino in the engine, Royal Purple (synthetic) in the FD and gear box. Changing the gear box and FD fluids is cheap, less than $20 for a quart of RP which is enough for both items. Also gives a chance to look at the magnetic drain plugs for debris. MIGHT just be able to catch an impending failure on the lift instead of beside the road.

Loren

·
Registered
710 Posts
I was just chatting with a top petro engineer this past weekend and he confirmed that oil and engines are so much better now than 20 years ago, there is no reason to change oil every 3k miles. Only service centers still recommend 3k intervals to increase their revenue.
Unless you just like doing the work or spending the money and increasing the used oil disposal/recycling load, go ahead and stretch out the interval.

My oil changes for our vehicles range from 5k-10k miles. The exception is my 25 year old truck which still gets 3k changes and needs it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
katnapinn said:
Fill Plug is behind the right drivers foot peg plate. 3 allen head bolts & 2 torx screws to remove to get to the plug.

Thanks Katnapinn!! I performed the service this morning. I spilled a little oil while draining, even with a makeshift drain funnel, but altogether, it went very well. Good for another 6,000 miles!! :dance:

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
I use synthetic in both the RT and LT
Change oil every 6,000 and transmission and final drive every other Spring using Redline Shockproof Heavy.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
TVPearson said:
I change all fluids at 6000K intervals (just makes me feel better when I abuse the throttle)..
BMW spec oils/filter from www.beemerboneyard.com (their gear oil comes in a container with a spout you extend and just squirt into fill holes, wrap some tin foil around bike parts to direct spilled oil into pan).
02 LT, 84K uses no oil between changes, origional FD.
04 GS, 68K uses no oil between changes, FD failure at 56K.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts