BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wanting some opinions on wearing a neck brace when riding. I still have the one I used riding go-karts. When I ride 16 to 20 hour days when I'm tired sometimes I wish I had it on. I'm almost sure it would be a + in a rear end collision. I stopped at the Simpson & Impact store this week & tried on there neck braces. They are a lot more comfortable than my old one. The outer fabric is the same but the inner foam is cut different.

If I cut my foam like the new ones I'm sure mine will feel the same. They have more trim cuts on the inner side to conform to the neck. Anybody know what the negative would be to wearing one ?.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I wouls suggest you research what the motocross guys are wearing.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
saddle-man said:
I'm just wanting some opinions on wearing a neck brace when riding. I still have the one I used riding go-karts. When I ride 16 to 20 hour days when I'm tired sometimes I wish I had it on. I'm almost sure it would be a + in a rear end collision. I stopped at the Simpson & Impact store this week & tried on there neck braces. They are a lot more comfortable than my old one. The outer fabric is the same but the inner foam is cut different.

If I cut my foam like the new ones I'm sure mine will feel the same. They have more trim cuts on the inner side to conform to the neck. Anybody know what the negative would be to wearing one ?.
I wore those in the past as well. Always felt the range of head turn was too limited. That is one reason why the road race guys have gone to an integrated support in the upper back of the leathers. Motorcycle racers actually started wearing neck braces more to protect from clavicle breaks when the helmet contacted the shoulder area during impact.

So, I would say the only real negative to wearing one on the street is a rider typically requires more range of movement from their head. Just checking traffic at an intersection could be a real chore.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bowlesj said:
I wore those in the past as well. Always felt the range of head turn was too limited. That is one reason why the road race guys have gone to an integrated support in the upper back of the leathers. Motorcycle racers actually started wearing neck braces more to protect from clavicle breaks when the helmet contacted the shoulder area during impact.

So, I would say the only real negative to wearing one on the street is a rider typically requires more range of movement from their head. Just checking traffic at an intersection could be a real chore.
Thanks John I have limited neck movement already & the brace wouldn't have any effect. I was thinking more of using it on the highway when after a half a day or so when I'm not as alert and my neck hurts. I have had two neck injuries from water skiing wipe outs.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I've had problems with my neck from few accidents, both in cages and on the bike. PT to strengthen the neck helped me a lot.

·
Registered
945 Posts
First post, I have rented a few bikes and think the RT is what I will purchase. Back to topic, I have ridden off road since 1968 and have never been without a bike or missed a season. When they first became available, my family and I began using the Leatt neck braces. If this is what you are referring to, they do not limit side to side movement at all (checking traffic). They are designed to limit your head from snapping too far back or forward. As far as comfort, I have never had any issue with the comfort, they are lightweight and fairly unobtrusive for me. I have never worn it on the street, but perhaps something to consider.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts