BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My place 101 Davis St, Glen Alpine, NC Saturday 7/21/07.

Start adding your name to the list by copy/paste. Add the work you want to perform and we'll see how it develops. Do not have a lift, or tire changing tools. Balancer-yes.

We'll open shop at 7:00AM till whenever.

Plenty of room for parking outside and inside areas under cover if rainy. Poor lighting in garage, but enough to get the job done, air, enough tools - or we'll make 'em. Anyone has a GS-911 they want to bring - do it.

We'll grill something and have some other picnic like dishes.

I'll post more info as it comes to mind.

Attendees:

John Bowles - Host-possible valve check

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Attendees:

Randy Carlisle (rando) 12K service (valves, oil, gear lube, tranny oil?) I can do some of this ahead or after.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
quickbeemer said:
Observer / Moderator / Cook / Gofer/ Tool Passer.................
clean up :histerica
OK Tony, you're hired. Cook it is. That way I can watch the bikes.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Attendees:

Randy Carlisle (rando) 12K service (valves, oil, gear lube, tranny oil?) I can do some of this ahead or after.
Chris Vowell- observer,fetcher,tour guide

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hybridcage said:
Attendees:

Alll right. Great Chris. Hope your schedule holds up so you do make it.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
quickbeemer said:
Let me know if I can bring anything John
Can't think of anything right now, Tony. Unless you have a special preference. Will have the usual soft drinks and water. Also thinking just brats and burgers with some salads.

Only have a small Weber gas grill, but should be enough.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK. More info for this event.
Cell phone is 828-390-7449 anytime.

GPS coords are - N35 43.763 W81 46.761

Address is 101 Davis Street, Glen Alpine, NC 28628

Tools - if you are doing some work on your bike and you have a small kit you like to use and can bring along go ahead. I have at least 3 of everything, but you never know where they'll be when you need em. Otherwise I have everything needed to do all normal maintenance and farkle installations, even though the shop areas aren't the most elegant or organized, or lit for that matter.:)

Work scope - I don't expect to actually change buckets on valve checks unless someone is there that has done this before. I haven't and it isn't wise to start practicing with a huge audience with the patient on a time constraint. Also do not plan on digging into a slave cylinder type job unless some one comes prepared with all the parts and another person is there that has done this before. I have all the tools for this work though.

Food - brats and burgers with fixins and salads, soft drinks and water

Lift - Jack Homesly has offered his lift even though he can't make it. I am planning on picking it up a couple days before. That is a 140 mile round trip in a 1 ton flat bed truck. If someone is coming from the Charlotte area and can't ride for some reason and has a truck, let me know. Maybe you could swing by Jack's and pick up the lift. I know it's a stretch but just wanted to throw it out there.

Parts - got lot's of little things that are known to fail - Fuel QD's, o'rings, shift linkage balls, crush washers, bolts and screws, valve cover gasket, fuel filter clamps, etc NO VALVE BUCKETS.

Area rides - If you really don't want to stay around all day but just want to stop in for food and say hi - you'll find some great roads very nearby.

A loop around Lake James is nice - 1 mile from session
A cruise up NC181 is great - 5 miles from session
A Blueridge Parkway entrance is 15 miles up NC181 - 20 miles from session
Mt Mitchell - 50 miles
Grandfather Mtn and Linville viaduct area - 35 miles

If we get done early we can all go for a ride. Don't rush the work though.

OK. that's all for now.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I'll plan to do all I can but the valve check before or after, so that it doesn't take so much time. That's the big thing I would like help with. How naked does the bike need to be? Should I (we) remove tupp before riding out? It doesn't take too long, but how long does the check take, etc? Do we need replacement gaskets?

Trying to help out as much as possible.

randy

·
Registered
24 Posts
NC tech session

Another Observer, need to learn as much as I can. Can provide a helping hand to anyone. Hope to be riding in with Tony.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Attendees:

Gene Stanley- Observer/Helper
Tony (quickbeemer) - Cook/helper

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rando said:
I'll plan to do all I can but the valve check before or after, so that it doesn't take so much time. That's the big thing I would like help with. How naked does the bike need to be? Should I (we) remove tupp before riding out? It doesn't take too long, but how long does the check take, etc? Do we need replacement gaskets?

Trying to help out as much as possible.

randy
No, I wouldn't ride that far with your tupperware off, we can take it off easy enough. At 12k you shouldn't need a valve cover gasket. If you would need one, I have one. Remember, at this point, we are not going to change the buckets unless someone is there that has done it before on this bike. We can do the fluids no problem or you can do them first. Also, you may want to look at your air cleaner, which requires the tank off, etc.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Okay. I may get the ol' CD manual out and take a look, see what all we're doing and what I want to do when. Thanks so very much for putting this together.

I got plenty of power and no weird noises, so hopefully, the valve check will allow peace of mind and require nothing else.

Randy

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Hey John, I stuck your tech session thread so it will stay at the top. Will unsticky it on the 22nd of July.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Steve_R said:
Hey John, I stuck your tech session thread so it will stay at the top. Will unsticky it on the 22nd of July.
Thanks a lot Steve. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Count me In

John,

Thanks for putting this together.

I've only done the fluids & Tires. With almost 50K, I'm going to tackle a slave cylinder later in the summer/fall.

Would love to check my valve clearance and possibly flush brake fluid (if someone is knowledgeable).

I'm only a few miles from Jack's and have a truck. We can work a hand off ahead of time since I plan on riding up on the 21st. Let me know if that would work for you.

Should I preemptively get a valve cover gasket?

Anything else you need help with?

Joe

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
John, if I can get up there, depending on work, i'll be happy to help out, brake flush etc.

·
Registered
257 Posts
tech session

john i plan on coming to the tech session. time permiting i would like to change my rear brake rotor (cowbell) . i have a new EBS rotor and pads in hand. i am also not to far from jacks and have a pickup. will be in touch.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK. Great guys. I'm heading out of town for the 4th RIGHT now. I'll get back to you all in a couple days. All projects and help sound great.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts