BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No doubt some will debate whether these vessels really will be "the most powerful, advanced and deadly warships in the world when they come into service in 2009", but the accommodation sounds quite good:

Mess decks are replaced by individual cabins, each with their own I-pod charging points, CD player, internet access, five channel recreational audio and larger berths.​

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
beemerlt said:
No doubt some will debate whether these vessels really will be "the most powerful, advanced and deadly warships in the world when they come into service in 2009", but the accommodation sounds quite good:

Mess decks are replaced by individual cabins, each with their own I-pod charging points, CD player, internet access, five channel recreational audio and larger berths.​
Wow -- sure a lot different from days of old. I was in the Coast Guard back in the 70s; living accommodations on a modern cutter for junior enlisted were very tight -- small bunks two high, cramped quarters, etc., and located near the engine room (loud, vibrations, hot) -- not as bad as the Discovery Channel shows on modern submarines, but not much better. Senior enlisted and CPOs had single racks, and less crowded. Officers had 2 to a room, near the bridge. Senior officers one to a room; and the Captain's cabin was relatively palatial, as it should be given his responsibilities.

How did we ever survive not having all the gadgets and amenities? :rolleyes:

·
IBR# 366
16,572 Posts
danbrew said:
funny, ipods will long be a thing of the past when 2009 finally rolls around...!
I don't think so. Sure they'll have morphed into something different, but we'll still have small, reliable, portable audio devices. Apple has sold 42 million iPods since its introduction in 2001, and is currently selling 14 million per quarter and taking in $1.74 billion on iPods alone. I somehow doubt that will all dry up in just 3 years.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
hschisler said:
Wow -- sure a lot different from days of old. I was in the Coast Guard back in the 70s; ---------[/indent]
Well, hello from another old Coastie! What ship were you on? Was it one of the Hamilton's?

I was on one of the old 310 footers, the McCulloch, WAVP 386, from 1965 to 1968.

I was an EN1 when I left the CG after 4 years.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
dshealey said:
Well, hello from another old Coastie! What ship were you on? Was it one of the Hamilton's?

I was on one of the old 310 footers, the McCulloch, WAVP 386, from 1965 to 1968.
I spent most of my time in CG training; had a very short stint on CGC Eagle, the square-rigged "tall ship". I spent most of my at-sea time on CGC Munro, WHEC 724, out of Seattle. Munro is a 378' high endurance cutter. 1975-1977 for me.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
hschisler said:
I spent most of my time in CG training; had a very short stint on CGC Eagle, the square-rigged "tall ship". I spent most of my at-sea time on CGC Munro, WHEC 724, out of Seattle. Munro is a 378' high endurance cutter. 1975-1977 for me.
Thought you were probably on a Hamilton class (378), from your description. I had friends that served on Hamiltons.

I did get to go aboard Eagle once, when we were in New London/Groton to take cadets out on a training cruise aboard the McCulloch. Only went aboard at the dock though, did not get to sail on it.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
dshealey said:
I did get to go aboard Eagle once, when we were in New London/Groton to take cadets out on a training cruise aboard the McCulloch. Only went aboard at the dock though, did not get to sail on it.
The week I spent on the Eagle (summer 1975) was many things all at the same time: hot, hard work, cramped, educational, impressive, and inspirational. There is nothing like working on the t'gallant sail (top-most yard arm) while underway. You are moving in all three axes at the same time, 125' above the water IIRC.

If you ever get a chance to sail on a tall ship you must do it. It's like nothing else.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
hschisler said:
There is nothing like working on the t'gallant sail (top-most yard arm) while underway. You are moving in all three axes at the same time, 125' above the water IIRC.
QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Bayliner2052 said:
(see photo)
Vince, where did you get that photo? That's what I'm talking about...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts