BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Well, I guess that's one way to get around the Nav V's problems with the latest DST issues - upgrade to the VI! Maybe I'll actually be able to read the map in sunlight now!

·
Registered
927 Posts
............. Maybe I'll actually be able to read the map in sunlight now!
Yep !! THAT is why I bought the Nav6 and love it in the sun!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Yep !! THAT is why I bought the Nav6 and love it in the sun!
Ed, is that the main benefit of Nav6 over 5, or should I say the only meaningful benefit? Truthfully I've never had it's less than ultra bright screen cause me any real grief. If there were other serious pluses I might try n sell 5 and buy 6.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Ed, is that the main benefit of Nav6 over 5, or should I say the only meaningful benefit? Truthfully I've never had it's less than ultra bright screen cause me any real grief. If there were other serious pluses I might try n sell 5 and buy 6.
For ME the biggest benefit was the improved display and being able to see it clearly in any light. There are other "technical" benefits that I don't use. I do like the added filtering ability too such as ability to avoid only "interstates" or "major highways". But the display is what sold me. And much like you I upgraded from a Nav5 so the "net cost" for the upgrade was probably less than $300.

But honestly if you are happy with the Nav5 then like most things why fix what ain't broke.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I just ordered a NAV VI off Amazon for the same reduced price to replace my NAV V, noting they are being fullfilled by MAX BMW, Sierra BMW, Denver BMW and perhaps others as well, so I feel like I'm supporting somebody's local BMW dealership.

I absolutely HATE the NAV V screen as it is almost invisible to me at times, and I've wanted for a long time to avoid the potential danger I have caused myself by leaning in over the handlebars and taking my hands off the handlebars to see that damn thing! I also recall other members like Noel spent lots of forum thread time making or purchasing shades to try and combat this deficiency, and most didn't actually solve the issue very well, so no way did I want to bastardize my ride for half-baked solutions we all suffered from. We know it was the screen design, not the sun. If it's been solved, then that is enough for me.

There are other benefits to the NAV VI I have read about. One is a much faster processor and another more memory capacity. How many of you have missed turns because the response time was too slow with earlier NAV's, or had to dump saved routes due to lack of internal memory. I certainly have.

On the other hand I am still uncertain about the early reports and problems with media playing with the NAV VI. I think it was that riders were restricted from playing music through their phones if the bike was equipped with the BMW audio package, and/or through bluetooth only? I'm OK with that, as I only listen to music from a thumb drive and through my bluetooth helmet. I don't want to be seen or heard as a loud Harley rider blasting the peace and quiet of others.

If the NAV VI actually let's us see other bike data, then all the better.

Hope also to sell my NAV V to somebody who doesn't want or need the extras for a very fair price.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Does the N6 do real time traffic reporting like Google Maps does? I had a Garmin unit for my cage that had "traffic" but that was based on some antiquated, FM-based, system that only really worked in cities like NY , Chicago, or LA and even then they were often very delayed. Real, real-time, traffic is the only thing that keeps me tethered to my phone. I'd rather keep it on my body in case of emergency and use a navigator with actual real-time traffic attached to the bike.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Does the N6 do real time traffic reporting like Google Maps does? I had a Garmin unit for my cage that had "traffic" but that was based on some antiquated, FM-based, system that only really worked in cities like NY , Chicago, or LA and even then they were often very delayed. Real, real-time, traffic is the only thing that keeps me tethered to my phone. I'd rather keep it on my body in case of emergency and use a navigator with actual real-time traffic attached to the bike.
Pretty sure you can subscribe to traffic ... I know you can subscribe to weather radar.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I know there's a subscription service but the question is whether the data is real time enough to be actually useful. I know Google Maps has saved me from getting caught up in horrible back ups caused by accidents. I'm just wondering if Garmin taps the same, or similar, data source.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I also recall other members like Noel spent lots of forum thread time making or purchasing shades to try and combat this deficiency, and most didn't actually solve the issue very well... If the NAV VI actually let's us see other bike data, then all the better.
I did and gave up the design I did wasn't good enough. For some reason I haven't found the screen to be a show stopper. First thing I did w/ it was do a 10K mile x-country trip and it was fabulous to have the voice GPS and most of the time the screen wasn't hard to see at all. Sometimes it was but overall it was still real useable. I often ride most in the early morning so often it's fine then. A brighter screen is definitely what it needs to take it up a notch and a little faster update rate never hurts.

I'm waiting for NAV when it actually lets us see deer and other wildlife data--that would be so cool I would pay $3000 for this tech!

I see someone made a sunshade for Nav V: https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-N...ywords=bmw+navigator+vi&qid=1575244546&sr=8-8

I did put an anti-glare film on it and it seems pretty good already for glare.

·
Old Dawg
3,293 Posts
The NavVI works with an app on your Smartphone to give live traffic info. The app is a free download from Garmin called Smart Link.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts