BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a just completed trip my Navigator V behaved weirdly.
i entered a destination, hit 'Go' and went. Shortly after starting off I noticed that while the map screen showed the route to take, the instructions never progressed. As I got further and further into the ride the ETA got later and later. It seemed like every minute I rode towards my destination set the ETA back another minute - as though I was riding away from it. The distance to destination and time to destination either increased as I rode towards my destination or remained stuck. Weirdness indeed!
I've just arrived home from my trip, connected the Nav V to the computer, downloaded a 3.40 update to Garmin Express and a software update for the GPS itself. I haven't had time to get out on the road again to see if these updates put an end to this weirdness but was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Ian

·
Registered
702 Posts
Ian,
I have had similar experiences.
The first time I had this had me totally confused, I was using a route I had created in Basecamp & it did exactly what you describe. The the next time I had it again a route I had created in Basecamp, but I noticed that a waypoint was past the turn I had to make, so from that point on it did as you describe.
However I think i saw somewhere that you can select the next waypoint as the start & it recalculates.
I haven't had the pleasure of using the Nav V since the update to 3.40, to see if that problem still exists.

Try calling Garmin OEM at 1-866-455-7012 (this is direct to the tech's) & they might be able to help solve the issue that you are having.
Phil

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Phil,
Thanks for your reply.
Soon after getting my Navigator V I also had the weirdness of which you speak. And as you say it turned out to be a waypoint I had set in Basecamp but detoured around that the GPS insisted I go to. A friend politely called that experience "User error". I prefer to see it as the Basecamp learning curve.
But this new weirdness happens when there are no way points - such as when you tell the GPS to 'Go Home'.
If the just downloaded updates don't do the trick I will ring the Garmin Australasian Support line when they open on Monday morning.

Ian

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Sounds like you went past a way point but didn't tag it by not getting close enough to it. If you used the trip planner it usually selects the next way point to start at, not your starting point. If you miss a way point start the route again but select a way point ahead of your current position. I like to use intersections or gas stations for way points. That way I'll know I'll pass them along the route and the GPS will register that point.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mwnahas -
Sounds like you went past a way point but didn't tag it by not getting close enough to it
Me -
But this new weirdness happens when there are no way points - such as when you tell the GPS to 'Go Home'.
Me

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No more weirdness.

I rang Garmin technical support and told them my story - in particular that the weirdness happened even when there were no way points.
They had never heard of such a malfunction. I told them that since arriving home from the weird trip I had downloaded an "Urgent" (Garmin Express' term) Nav V update.
They said to go for a ride and see what happens .......... no more weirdness.
I'm still trying to work out why it happened in the first place.
Maybe the Nav V update I downloaded before i went on my trip had a bug that was subsequently patched by the "Urgent" download since I got home. I don't know.

But I don't understand string theory either or why the sky is blue, or how so many angels can fit on the head of a pin.

Ian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts