BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2016 R1200RT
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of my other non-BMW Garmin GPS units are recognized by Garmin Express. When I plug in the Nav V, the USB port does not see any data and does not connect to the Nav V. The Nav V charges from the USB connection, but no data flow. I haven't had the bike nor the Nav V very long, so I am new to the BMW branded GPS units.

Is updating firmware via Garmin Express a BMW thing that they have locked-out so you have to go to a dealer to take advantage of any firmware or map updates?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Forester

·
Premium Member
2020 R1250RT Alpine White
154 Posts
All of my other non-BMW Garmin GPS units are recognized by Garmin Express. When I plug in the Nav V, the USB port does not see any data and does not connect to the Nav V. The Nav V charges from the USB connection, but no data flow. I haven't had the bike nor the Nav V very long, so I am new to the BMW branded GPS units.

Is updating firmware via Garmin Express a BMW thing that they have locked-out so you have to go to a dealer to take advantage of any firmware or map updates?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Forester
Garmin Express should recognize the BMW unit without an issue and update the maps and/or firmware as needed. You might want to make sure you have downloaded the latest Garmin Express (it was just updated recently) but otherwise your problem may lie elsewhere.

Good luck,
Larry

·
Registered
2016 R1200RT
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Larry,
I am glad to hear that it should work with no problems, but mine is not sending any data to the computer at all. I updated to the latest version of GE a couple of days ago and no cigar. This unit came with my 2016 RT. Is there something that I need to get from the previous owner to allow the unit to function properly for me? Tnx

·
Registered
4 Posts

Thanks for any thoughts.
Forester

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Hey Larry,
I am glad to hear that it should work with no problems, but mine is not sending any data to the computer at all. I updated to the latest version of GE a couple of days ago and no cigar. This unit came with my 2016 RT. Is there something that I need to get from the previous owner to allow the unit to function properly for me? Tnx
I don’t think anything the previous owner could do would remove the unit’s ability to become visible on the USB bus to your computer.

Using Windows explorer you should see the unit and the GPS screen should (if it’s like the NAV VI) show some connected symbology. (Also check Windows device manager to see if the UBS subsystem has any errors or exclamation points which may help you isolate the issue.)

I would try resetting the GPS to factory defaults and see if you still don’t get USB recognition.

Larry

·
Registered
2016 R1200RT
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Larry. But I believe what I have discovered is that the usb cable I am using is for "charging" only and does not have the data lines. I really believe that is why there is no data flowing between the computer and the Nav V. I will try to find another usb cable that will actually carry data. Tnx, Forester

Reactions: tvguy and nh1200c

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Thanks Larry. But I believe what I have discovered is that the usb cable I am using is for "charging" only and does not have the data lines. I really believe that is why there is no data flowing between the computer and the Nav V. I will try to find another usb cable that will actually carry data. Tnx, Forester
That would sure explain all the symptoms Forester. I hope a regular USB cable gets you cooking!

Larry

·
Registered
2016 R1200RT
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've ordered a new cable from Amazon, so I should know something to report by Thursday evening. I'll double back here and let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks again, Forester (Joe)

Reactions: nh1200c

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have run into this with my dashcam on my Tacoma. I cut the ends off that USB and threw it in the garbage as I kept forgetting and trying to use it next time. Glad you found the issue.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have a Mac and have had issues previously. The answer seems to be to use the supplied garmin cable to attach the Nav. As soon as I attach my Nav, the symbol shows to show it is connected on the device, but it then takes a few minutes for the Mac to then actually see the device and enable Garmin express to see it. I normally connect it and then just browse the net or something and then it pops up as connected.

·
Registered
2016 R1200RT
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, so my suspicions were correct. All USB cables are NOT created equal. Lots of consumer goods today are charged with a 5V USB cable with various sized USB connectors on the opposite end of the USB A end. Many if not most of these "charging" USB cables do NOT have the data lines connected. It is these cables that will not function with any device that needs to have data lines connected to your computer such as the BMW Navigator GPS device.
I ordered a couple of real USB cables from Amazon and the computer recognized the Nav V right away. So please be aware that this is an issue considering the millions of consumer devices that use USB-Charge-Only cables that have been released into the "wild".
Thanks,
Forester

Reactions: nh1200c

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Ok, so my suspicions were correct. All USB cables are NOT created equal. Lots of consumer goods today are charged with a 5V USB cable with various sized USB connectors on the opposite end of the USB A end. Many if not most of these "charging" USB cables do NOT have the data lines connected. It is these cables that will not function with any device that needs to have data lines connected to your computer such as the BMW Navigator GPS device.
I ordered a couple of real USB cables from Amazon and the computer recognized the Nav V right away. So please be aware that this is an issue considering the millions of consumer devices that use USB-Charge-Only cables that have been released into the "wild".
Thanks,
Forester
I had the same problem and the same solution. You'll notice that the data cable is thicker, a bit like myself really.

Ian

·
Registered
2016 R1200RT
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ian
That could possibly be true in some cases, however the charge cables I have versus the real USB cable are exactly the same outside diameter (about 3 mm) as measured by my digital calipers. After researching this a bit, the charging-only usb cables save the manufacturer money in up to two ways...instead of 4 wires and a shield, the charging cables can have only two wires and no shield so they save money by eliminating two wires, the shield, and robot time involved in soldering 4 more spots. It's really a bad deal because lots of folks will try to use these cables, assuming all USB cables are the same, and never find the solution to their problems. Nobody every suspects the cable, it's always what the cable is attached to that people tend to start trouble-shooting.
Thanks,
Forester

Reactions: garr2
1 - 13 of 13 Posts