BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new BMW Navigator IV. Can't seem to remove the battery cover to access the USB port. Does it slide off or do you need to insert a screwdriver? Which direction does it come off?

Seems silly, but I just can't seem to remove it. The dealer had no idea ...

/Doug

·
Registered
616 Posts
wb3dpr said:
Got a new BMW Navigator IV. Can't seem to remove the battery cover to access the USB port. Does it slide off or do you need to insert a screwdriver? Which direction does it come off?

Seems silly, but I just can't seem to remove it. The dealer had no idea ...

/Doug
There's a little release that looks like a sliding switch...opposite side from the power button. Slide it and hold it, then get a thumbnail under the door at the same end and pry it out. There's a gasket to keep the water out...that's why it feels so stiff. I usually go in from the long edge closest to the center channel with the 18 pin connector.

Edit: Here's a pic:

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
No need for any tools.
The info Jim posted is quite accurate. But I would add screen facing up into palm of hand and thump to slide switch at the bottom the back pops out far enough to help it off or fall in your lap. You don't want to mess-up the integrity of the seal.
ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would like to use my Navigator IV occasionally in my car. How can I keep it charged on a long trip when it fails to turn completely on if the cover is removed? I get the message to close the battery cover.

·
Registered
616 Posts
firstbmw62 said:
I would like to use my Navigator IV occasionally in my car. How can I keep it charged on a long trip when it fails to turn completely on if the cover is removed? I get the message to close the battery cover.
You need to get a car mount:
http://www.amazon.com/BMW-Navigator-IV-Car-Kit/dp/B00ATPZR3Q

(I know nothing about this vendor...just fyi)

You may want to consider just getting an automotive unit...you can probably find one with a bigger screen with mount and power for about the same money as the mount for the Nav IV.

·
IBR# 366
16,568 Posts
Like Jim said, you need a car mount. Then you can just pop the Nav IV into the car or the bike in seconds.

I may have a spare I can make you a reasonable deal on. Let me check . . .

·
Registered
453 Posts
You need to be aware of a few things.
The car mount is probably just that, the block to hold the Garmin 660 / Nav IV.
It does NOT come with optional extras such as screen holder, and power cable. Unless there is a complete package, I was not aware of!

If you have a car mounted Garmin GPS then you should be lucky enough with the ball mounting, but you need a special cable to power the mount.

While we have a simple Car GPS (old style Nuvi 220) for trips, and routes the Nav IV is the best.

It will ask you if you want to configure the Nav IV each time you plug it into the mount, but I have found it rarely asks if you want to configure it back to the bike settings!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts