BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The screen on my BMW Motorrad Navigator II has started to flake off as though the outer thin layer has gone bad. Has this happened to anyone else and is it repairable?

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
The time comes when the lamination starts coming off all of the older Garmin units. This usually causes touch screen problems. You can send the unit into garmin and they will fix it up for a small fee or....
Just clean the screen up and take all the lamination off that you can. I've done this to two units, an Nav 3 and a 2730 both are still working great. That is after cleaning the screen up real good.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Yes, Sir

unfortunately it is a known issue. I had the same thing happening to mine back in 2006 and luckily the unit still was under (2 yrs) warranty so my local BMW dealer replaced it with a BMW Nav III (Garmin 2720 ).
They also pointed out that extreme care should be taken when touching the screen, especially when it is wet.

Your unit is of the age that I doubt that repairing the screen is not worth it anymore.

Regards

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
At the risk of offending you, I think it's time to replace the old girl. ;) And you'll be glad you did. The newer Garmins are sooooo much nicer and faster. My 2820 is getting long in the tooth and yet, it's still way nicer than the Nav II (equivalent to the Garmin 2620).

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
If you don't want to upgrade, the best thing is send it back to Garmin . They offer a flat rate repair that you can arrange for before you send it. We have had that same problem with some marine units as well.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Howdy :wave

My Nav II screen did the same thing. If it says "BMW Nav " on the unit (even though it's the same as a 2610) Garmin will not repair it. If you are still interested in repair, I do have the name of a Garmin rep that is skilled in BMW Nav units, and maybe he can be more help. Let me know if you want his name, and I will dig it up.

I decided to upgrade to the Zumo 660 which is getting a little cheaper...... bought mine from Amazon.com

The 660 comes with ram mounts, or if you want.... the mounting holes line up with the NAV II mount by the radio controls.

Hope this helps.

Chris Ogle

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finished flaking the coating off, cleaned the screen with Goo Gone and applied a universal screen saver. Everything working fine. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
If the Nav II is like the SPIII, it's not worth fixing. As others have said, the newer ones recalculate so much faster. I upgrades to the 2820 and it is amazingly quick. Next one though will probably be the 600 series. Nice big screen

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
My old 2610 starting flaking a few months back. Garmin said they wont fix.
Bought a cheap Windows based GPS off ebay as a throw-away to try, and can't believe how much more sensitive and fast even this thing is. Screen is poor in daylight, but a shade will help that, and the LT windscreen (V-stream) keeps 99.9% of the water off in the rain anyway
In the meantime, I pulled the 2610 apart last week, only a few screws to get to the screen. Peeled off the rest of the outer coating and cleaned the screen with Propanol. It seems to work just fine, but I'm not sure I want to go back to the sloooooowwwww response time and worse signal reception!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts