BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Guys
I have purchased a wrecked 2001 K1200LT with a GPS System on it. I have taken it off the wrecked bike and wonder before I install it on my 2003 model, is it worth the trouble. I don't have any instructions for it and no map software.

Can you suggest where I might be able to download the software to make it work and or maps for Australia. I would like to find something on the instructions for using it as well but have not been able to locate anything yet.

Most of the information I find is for the new colour model Navigation system 2 which is a garmin streetsmart 2 or 3 I think. Mine is a small monochrome screen model. I think it is the original one that was introduced in 2000 and works on K1200lt's up to 2003.

I hope you can offer some advice.

THANX FOR READING MY POST

Brian Buttsworth

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Brian the Nav 1 (street pilot 3) is a good GPS worth using. You will need to contact Garmin the manufacture . You will have to order the serial port adaptor to download routes, the data card programmer is necessary for downloading detailed maps. If you do not have the mapping software garmin may give you that for free. If you know someone with map source software they may allow you to be a second user.
Pete

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pete

Thanx for that info mate. I have looked on previous posts and I think it looks like my unit is a Carin 520. They seemed to indicate that it has no interface for a computer but is driven by the cd. If thats not the case I dont know where I can plug a serial cable into it as I cant see a port for that. I dont know how you could get the bike near your computer to do it anyway unless the wife let me bring the bike into the lounge room.

Maybe you can only use it if you have a notebook computer?

Perhaps I just need the software to run it with built in maps of Western Australia.

Blowed if I know how to work any buttons to control it however? Cant see any controls for it?

Its a bit of a mystery?

Thanx anyway

Brian

·
Registered
588 Posts
Try to track down the previous owner and buy the software and assessories from him.

·
IBR# 366
16,563 Posts
Hi Brian,

The unit you described is the Carin 520, and was offered by BMW as an option on the European LTs. I have the VDO_Dayton MS5000 (Carin 522 equivalent) which is the same computer with a larger color display and a dedicated remote.

Read this thread for more info and pics, including links to get the updated mapping software. You can also buy the GPS operating software, though the manufacturer doesn't sell direct and I've had trouble finding a company that actually carries it, at least in the US.

Your unit has a smaller monochrome screen, and uses the radio buttons one the left handlebar to control it. There is a switch on the left of the smaller display that switches the buttons between GPS and Audio control. This uses some sort of BMW-supplied wiring harness to splice in to the button wiring harness. I'm not sure if you were supplied that part or not. Maybe you can take a pic of what all you received and post it here.

You can find a generic Carin wiring diagram here. It's pretty poor quality, but it does give a basic idea of how the whole system works. Note that the diagram also includes several optional parts that don't come with every system.

I'm currently on the road, but will be glad to scan my GPS manual when I get home next week. Also, I have the UK map CD from a few years ago, plus a Central Europe CD (gotta love the Alps). It should work fine, as we all know that nothing ever changes in Britain. ;)

Feel free to ask any other questions and we'll try to get you sorted out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gps Mystery Solved

Thanks for the post Ken, it is very helpful. Yes your link to the previous posts was the one I have read already that convinced me I have the Carin 520 monoChrome model.
I have taken everything off a damaged 2001 LT, so have taken all the wiring loom off the first bike to put on mine. It starts at the CD/radio unit near the tank and goes all the way down the left frame into the left panier where the GPS CD unit is located. It also branches past that and goes up inside the top box where the Antenae is located.

The funny thing is you get a display when you connect the 2001 front cd/radio unit to it all, but no display if I use my newer front cd/radio unit. My 2003 unit doesnt have one single wire like the other one has, but the old unit powers up even if that wire is disconnected so I don't know why that is.

A scan of your manual would be a great assist if you could email it to me or post it somehow. My email address is [email protected].
I tried to contact the previous owner through the BMW dealer here who sold the bike. They knew him well but he has had a stroke and died and they say his wife said she doesn't know where the software is to run the unit. So it looks pretty hard to get anything to run it. The maps for here in Western australia might be even more difficult to source.

I went to the Nava-tek web site as that previous post suggested, but couldnt find anything useful. I have also looked here in Australia on ebay with no success. So it looks like it will be a difficult exercise to get it running. Maybe your Cd would operate it? If so can you put the info up somewhere so I could download it. I have a 1.5 mb broadband connection so it wouldn't take to long.

Anyway i am grateful for your help and feedback thus far. Keep up the good work you have obviously been doing for the LT community!

Brian

·
IBR# 366
16,563 Posts
Brian, remember there are two separate pieces of software needed. The operating software that runs the unit comes on one CD, and you load it then remove the CD.

The map data comes on a different CD (or set of CDs), and you have to leave the CD loaded that corresponds to whatever region you're currently in.

If the operating software is loaded but you don't have a map CD, then you should get a message stating something like "no map cd loaded." If NavTeq doesn't offer Australian map CDs then I don't know what you can do, but they must have offered them if you got the unit off a wrecked Australian bike. Their map update website only shows Europe and North America, but maybe you can email them and ask about local maps for your area.

I'll scan my manual after I get back home next week. That should help some.

Good luck.

·
IBR# 366
16,563 Posts
Brian,

I'll send a PM also, but check with Daz, as he's also got the same GPS and still has the manual. Plus he's another Aussie, which may help simplify things. Read this thread for more info.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Nav 1

Hi Brian,

Yep, it's worth the trouble of installing it. I have the same unit but factory fitted.

I have the s/w. If you don't have it, drop me a PM.

What I'm currently after is a later version of the mapping for Aus. The version I have is 2003 but lacks detail of the minor roads, no where near as good as the Garmin V 6 mapping I have on a portable unit I take from car to car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts