BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 2009 K1200LT which is wired for the nagigation system. Unfortunately, the plug is a proprietary item which will not fit my Garmin; (what a suprise!). I am looking for a workaround in order to have the Nav function. Are there adaptors for the proprietary plug out there? Is there a REASONABLY priced unit that will work with the proprietary plug? I refuse to pay BMW $800 for what in reality is a $200 unit. Any help is much appreciated.

Regards,

Will

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
When I replaced my older GPS with a new one, I replaced the power cable. I think it also had and audio pigtail. It wasn't too difficult to run the new cable. Garmin and others have the power cables. I don't think they are too costly.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Proprietary generally means that it is made to fit one manufacturers unit and no one else's. If your 2009 LT came wired for a GPS then it is wired to fit a Garmin manufactured product - possibly a Garmin made BMW NAV III or a NAV IV or the Garmin 550 or 660 equivalents. While the Garmin BMW badged units come with a mount that includes external buttons the 550s and 660s do not, and cannot utilize the functions associated with the BMW mount. However, I believe the power connections for the BMW NAV III will fit the Garmin 550 and the BMW NAV IV will work with the Garmin 660 or the 665 which includes XM radio capability.

All 4 units are fairly expensive, but the Garmin non BMW badged units generally cost less than their BMW badged counterparts. If you still want to use your current Garmin unit there are numerous ways to route power to it. Use the search function here on the board and you should find a wealth of information on how others wired their units.

Bill Edwards
Boerne, TX

·
Registered
375 Posts
I dont know but I still like my TomTom. Regardless where I use it here in Europa or in the states works always very reliable no problem at all. In advantage to other units you have a BT connection to your helmed is also easy installed.

Manfred

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Manfred,
Are you using the BMW mount that goes through the map light to mount that?

·
Registered
375 Posts
No I build this mount my self but you are right is connected to the map light.
I machined it out of aluminum. But you could use also aluminum sheet 2 - 2.5 Millimeter and bend it to the right shape.
Show you some pics.

Inside holder fits in the map light square, long bolt just to hold it in place

Holder for the Nav mounted to the inside plate

Unit complet

With TomTom

Hope I could help you, Manfred

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
What Garmin do you have Will?

To power them, plus and a minus, for audio also a plus and a minus.

I think I recently saw a post by someone indicating that since his Garmin unit was labeled BMW his unit was either repaired or repalced after the warranty expired?

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
will3hawks said:
I have the Garmin NUVI (Possibly a 550 but different power plug)
That Garmin isn't a motorcycle GPS so it will not have the plug like the Garmin 660 that is a motorcycle designed GPS. The motorcycle Gps has a plug/adapter that integrates it into the audio system and has bluetooth capability that allows connectivity to headsets. The bluetooth on the Nuvi will not work with bluetooth headsets like Scala or Sena, Garmin disables that capability and they only work with phones.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Garmin Zumo is the mc, water proof line.

I didn't know that auto bluetooth units cannot link to Sena headsets.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
BecketMa said:
I didn't know that auto bluetooth units cannot link to Sena headsets.

Bob
I didn't mention Magellan in my post but they will not work either. I did a work around this by attaching a Bluetooth dongle to the speaker output, works that way.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
DanDiver said:
When I replaced my older GPS with a new one, I replaced the power cable. I think it also had and audio pigtail. It wasn't too difficult to run the new cable. Garmin and others have the power cables. I don't think they are too costly.
+1

Quite simple to install new power and/or audio cables. Have to remove a few bits of tupperware, but not difficult.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Hi John.

Did you attach the dongle to an audio out jack or tap into the line to the speaker John?

My knowledge of simple DC and simple AC circuits is rudamentary at best. I remember that their might be an impedance differance between the jack and line to the speaker.

Best
Bob

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
BecketMa said:
Hi John.

Did you attach the dongle to an audio out jack or tap into the line to the speaker John?

My knowledge of simple DC and simple AC circuits is rudamentary at best. I remember that their might be an impedance differance between the jack and line to the speaker.

Best
Bob
Bob,
The Gps I had did not have a output jack so what I did was attach a 3.5 mm female jack with wires directly to the speaker connections (two wires to the plus and one to the minus to get stereo). I drilled a small hole in the back of the Gps for the wires and sealed with RTV. All you need then is a Bluetooth dongle that has a male 3.5mm plug, pair the dongle to the headset and there you go.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
The Garmin Nuvi 500/550 is IPX7 waterproof and suitable for motorcycles.
Here's the link how to add the speaker connection to a unit with no audio output jack.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Thanks Chris and John.

I remembered seeing your post Chris, that'a why I asked John how he did it.

The real key to what I am looking for is wiring in a bluetooh receiver in place of the mic for voice control. It seems like such an obvious safety issue for MC usage?

Best from Tucson
Bob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts