BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know a way to get voice prompts from the NAV to countdown distance to turns inside of a 1/4 mile?

I keep missing turns because my brain still thinks it is in my SUV which has a constant voice prompt countdown all the way down to YARDS and FEET.

On the NAV V, all it tells me inside of 1/4 mile is to turn - doesn't give me the countdown distance inside of 1/4 mile distance(in 1 mile turn left, in 1/2 mile turn left, in 1/4 mile turn left, then nothing but turn left). So, I am having to look at the screen and look at the road and figure out where to turn. This doesn't work well when the sun is behind or above and I can't see the screen very well. I played with the NAV last night and didn't see any menu for this.

Seems to me the voice prompt countdown on the bike should work the same as my SUV (Mercedes now but my Honda Pilot worked the same way and IIRC every car I have had with a NAV did this countdown).

I am using a SENA headset synched to the NAV.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Sorry, you only get 2 notices. Usually around 1 mile or 2 klm, then somewhere near the turn. Have your Nav V zoomed in to a closer distance and a quick look at the screen to see your turn. I found using a more visable icon (i use the BIG Yellow BUS) you can pick up the turn very easy. It also pays to look at the top green bar to see what the next turn(way point) will be.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bummer.

Thanks though. May have to invest in another GPS if I can't adapt.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How did you ever find your way prior to GPS's? :grin:
I get your humor but that is not the point: I have a GPS and use it and want it to help me to be safe on the road. Kind of like saying what did I do before cell phones, airplanes, microwave ovens, or chemotherapy - you name it.

Having to look at the NAV screen instead of relying on voice prompts is not the safest practice on a mc especially for me as a newly returning rider.

I haven't used the NAV in town so it may give voice prompts inside 1/4 mile but for the country road driving that I have been doing, once it hits 1/4 mile all I get is "Turn Left" ahead. If it does this in town, it would be of little use to rely on the voice prompts because in a busy city like Atlanta, one needs to be in the correct lane or you are SOL. If there are 2 left turn lanes very close together and you are in the wrong one, it is a problem.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I have mine set up so the countdown mile can be viewed on the upper left. If I press this she will again speak to me.

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
I have mine set up so the countdown mile can be viewed on the upper left. If I press this she will again speak to me.
Yep! I do the same thing. Just a quick glance is more than enough for me, especially since the newer updates will have the voice prompt gives more specific instruction right before the turn point.....like "turn right at the traffic light"......

·
Registered
170 Posts
on my garmin system (same i think) when u go to the view - it has a point where u can adjust he distant - i too mine down to 100 yards and it advises me when i come to a intersection closer than when i had a wide veiw (1 mile)
hope i u figure it out as i don;t have it in my hands and see when u need to go - but it should be in the tool/ view

·
Registered
2019 BMW R1250RT
79 Posts
Does anyone know a way to get voice prompts from the NAV to countdown distance to turns inside of a 1/4 mile?

I keep missing turns because my brain still thinks it is in my SUV which has a constant voice prompt countdown all the way down to YARDS and FEET.

On the NAV V, all it tells me inside of 1/4 mile is to turn - doesn't give me the countdown distance inside of 1/4 mile distance(in 1 mile turn left, in 1/2 mile turn left, in 1/4 mile turn left, then nothing but turn left). So, I am having to look at the screen and look at the road and figure out where to turn. This doesn't work well when the sun is behind or above and I can't see the screen very well. I played with the NAV last night and didn't see any menu for this.

Seems to me the voice prompt countdown on the bike should work the same as my SUV (Mercedes now but my Honda Pilot worked the same way and IIRC every car I have had with a NAV did this countdown).

I am using a SENA headset synched to the NAV.
On the bike, forward the bike screen to navigation, dial to "speak", then each time you press forward on the wonder wheel the GPS will speak and give you a countdown, the GPS will speak as often as you touch the wheel...works great...

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
If you are often missing turns you need to be more aware of your surroundings, the GPS is only an aid not making your navigation decisions. Every year I read a couple of stories where someone drives into a river, up railway tracks or into on coming traffic and the driver says "but the GPS told me to turn".

Gerhard

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you are often missing turns you need to be more aware of your surroundings, the GPS is only an aid not making your navigation decisions. Every year I read a couple of stories where someone drives into a river, up railway tracks or into on coming traffic and the driver says "but the GPS told me to turn".

Gerhard
I mute the GPS on my bikes as well as in the cage, to me listening to a GPS is more distracting than taking a quick glance for any up coming turns plus it interrupts my music.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
on my garmin system (same i think) when u go to the view - it has a point where u can adjust he distant - i too mine down to 100 yards and it advises me when i come to a intersection closer than when i had a wide veiw (1 mile)
hope i u figure it out as i don;t have it in my hands and see when u need to go - but it should be in the tool/ view
On the bike, forward the bike screen to navigation, dial to "speak", then each time you press forward on the wonder wheel the GPS will speak and give you a countdown, the GPS will speak as often as you touch the wheel...works great...
Thanks guys for the helpful replies. I will try these the next time I use the NAV.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Gerhard
I mute the GPS on my bikes as well as in the cage, to me listening to a GPS is more distracting than taking a quick glance for any up coming turns plus it interrupts my music.
These replies really do not answer my original question so I wonder about the point you are trying to make..........I don't need a lecture nor did I ask how others personally use their NAV.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts