BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not trying to be a cheapskate on a new 25k bike, but is there any reason to buy a NAV VI instead of a Garmin (fill in the model) unit?

I have had other BMW Garmin units and other than the dealer locator, I see no real differance.

I get a Garmn discount at work and might as well take advantage of it.

Milton

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
1999k1200lt said:
Not trying to be a cheapskate on a new 25k bike, but is there any reason to buy a NAV VI instead of a Garmin (fill in the model) unit?

I have had other BMW Garmin units and other than the dealer locator, I see no real differance.

I get a Garmn discount at work and might as well take advantage of it.

Milton
The 660 and 665 will fit the mount, but as noted above, you lose the Nav IV's integration -- not just the controller (which means that you have to reach all the way to the dash for touch screen operation of a Garmin), but also the Nav IV's interaction with the bike's computers (e.g., bike telling the GPS "fuel level is low, display nearest fuel stations to rider";GPS delivering current time to the bike, etc.).

I currently have a 660, and even though I'm a cheap b#&*%d, I plan on buying a Nav IV, primarily because I see *major* convenience and safety issues in having to be reaching all the way to the dash to operate the GPS while driving.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yes I agree, I wil be using the nav IV also. I think most dealers are selling for $799.00 to $899.00. My Nav III was about $1200.00. Maybe we can do a group buy and save some $

·
Registered
440 Posts
roadking04 said:
Yes I agree, I wil be using the nav IV also. I think most dealers are selling for $799.00 to $899.00. My Nav III was about $1200.00. Maybe we can do a group buy and save some $
Does the Nav IV for $799 to $899 include the kit to use the Nav IV in your car?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'd be interested in a group buy, but first I'd like to confirm that BMW isn't just going to release a NavV right after we buy. I'm hoping for a Zumo665 with the weather maps, I truly believe that would be a very beneficial option for motorcyclists.

I know others have already stated that this won't happen because the Zumo uses XM and the bikes come with Sirius, but hey, a guy can hope, right?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a XM reciever I attach to the ZUMO. I wonder if it will attach to the IV or a fit in place of unit.

Milton

·
Registered
63 Posts
BEhrler said:
Actually my Nav II and Nav III did come with a car kit. Has that been discontinued on the Nav IV
Yes, it's been discontinued. But the Nav IV has built in speakers, all you really need is the suction cup bracket to attach it into a car.

·
Registered
577 Posts
mneblett said:
I currently have a 660, and even though I'm a cheap b#&*%d, I plan on buying a Nav IV, primarily because I see *major* convenience and safety issues in having to be reaching all the way to the dash to operate the GPS while driving.
I like the consideration for safety along with ease of control.

My Street Pilot 2730 goes blank whenever I try to use the touch (adjust) the screen while the bike is moving above a fast walking pace. Stays that way briefly. I then get a message something like "that at this speed it is not advised or safe to work the controls of this unit." Are all GPS units like this, or just the one that was sold to me?

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
tobiwan said:
My Street Pilot 2730 goes blank whenever I try to use the touch (adjust) the screen while the bike is moving above a fast walking pace. Stays that way briefly. I then get a message something like "that at this speed it is not advised or safe to work the controls of this unit." Are all GPS units like this, or just the one that was sold to me?
None of the 6 Garmin GPSs I've owned (mostly BMW Navs, and a couple Garmins) do that.

Have you looked into the setting menu to see whether that "feature" can be turned off?

·
Registered
112 Posts
tobiwan said:
You can definitely disable this safety feature on every Garmin that I've owned.

·
Registered
112 Posts
GRB60 said:
The BMW units don't usually come with car kits; the Garmin ones do.
The Nav IV offers a simple car dashboard mount as an accessory.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Raaze12 said:
I'd be interested in a group buy, but first I'd like to confirm that BMW isn't just going to release a NavV right after we buy. I'm hoping for a Zumo665 with the weather maps, I truly believe that would be a very beneficial option for motorcyclists.

I know others have already stated that this won't happen because the Zumo uses XM and the bikes come with Sirius, but hey, a guy can hope, right?
XM and Sirius have merged, so having one or the other is no longer a concern. Aside from that, the K16's have XM/Sirius built in to the audio system, so they aren't received through the GPS unit.

·
Registered
112 Posts
jbartlett said:
XM and Sirius have merged, so having one or the other is no longer a concern. Aside from that, the K16's have XM/Sirius built in to the audio system, so they aren't received through the GPS unit.
Actually XM and Sirius, while combined as a corporation, continue to use separate and unique satellite distribution infrastructure that cannot be combined. A unique tuner is required for each. A few cross-platform programming choices are available, but a Sirius receiver cannot receive the XM network signal and vice-versa.

BMW uses Sirius receivers exclusively by contract, so no XM receivers are offered. Weather map and traffic services are offered on the Sirius side similar to XM (Sirius Travel Link), but are not available on Garmin products.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Further to the other responses.

The Nav IV is a re-badged 660. with some differences (I will leave it to you to decide if they are minor or not!)
  • The warranty (in Europe) for a Nav IV is two years, the 660 is one year
  • You do not get a car kit with it, but you can buy the holder and power supply
    (If you already have a car mount with a ball the holder fits easily on to it - if you do not then you need to buy the windscreen mount as well - not cheap!)
  • For MP3 you can ONLY use blue-tooth when the Nav IV is on the bike mount
    However using the Nav IV in the car the instructions are heard clearly and without any problem.
How do I know? I have a Nav IV and we use it occasionally instead of the wife's Nuvi 220. It is perfect for routes. The Nuvi just gets you there!

Hope this helps
Best regards
Sleuth

·
Registered
64 Posts
realworld51 said:
Actually XM and Sirius, while combined as a corporation, continue to use separate and unique satellite distribution infrastructure that cannot be combined. A unique tuner is required for each. A few cross-platform programming choices are available, but a Sirius receiver cannot receive the XM network signal and vice-versa.

BMW uses Sirius receivers exclusively by contract, so no XM receivers are offered. Weather map and traffic services are offered on the Sirius side similar to XM (Sirius Travel Link), but are not available on Garmin products.
I stand corrected. Thanks for that info, Steve. Is there any advantage to one over the other (reception, etc.)? Not that we'll have a choice on the GT/L.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts