BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a NAV IV at a great price hoping i will be able to get it fully integrated into my Late 05 LTE. I'm trying to clear up whether or not anyone has successfully fully integrated a NAV IV onto an 05/06/07/08 LT? My understanding is the 09/10 came with the same wiring harness for the NAV III as the earlier years but with a cable included that would enable the NAV IV to be directly plug and play with the Comm II system. I believe but am not sure that the late model 05 and up bikes have the same Comm II system. if so then this BMW cable if available should/may allow NAV 4 direct connection. Does anyone know the part # for this cable or was it only available on the 9/10 and not sold otherwise? Checking on this with my local BMW dealer but no word back yet. I have an earlier post on the GPS Forum that suggests this but no actual word from anyone that they successfully did this. posting here to get a broad view more then just available on the GPS Forum. Thanks for any info! I did have the bike up for sale but decided that I was going to keep it so want to add in some other things to make it as good as possible!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I'm curious about this too. My Nav II is on it's last legs. I have the volume turned down on mine so I really just need to get power to a newer unit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just installed a Nav IV on my '05 LT. The plug (located under the Tupperware -left of the radio) is NOT plug and play. I think you can get an adapter, but I found it just as easy to tap into the map light for power. I also STRONGLY endorse the OEM mount 71607685539 which makes for a very clean look and doesn't block the instruments.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Talked to the dealer yesterday and he indicated that the files do show a different cable available but no year info on if only for an 09/10 or if it will work back to an 05. He confirmed the Comm system is the same from 05 on so this may be that cable and will work but he was unsure if Nav IV would plug direct into it. He was willing to order it to have on hand when They do the install. if it doesnt work im out the cost of the labor to get down to the connection but not the cable if its not what we hope it is. At that point he will just tie in to power and use as others have Withjust Bluetooth connectivity to helmet speakers. Probably do this after the holidays. Let you all know what I find out when I do!:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Talked to the dealer yesterday and he indicated that the files do show a different cable available but no year info on if only for an 09/10 or if it will work back to an 05. He confirmed the Comm system is the same from 05 on so this may be that cable and will work but he was unsure if Nav IV would plug direct into it. He was willing to order it to have on hand when They do the install. if it doesnt work im out the cost of the labor to get down to the connection but not the cable if its not what we hope it is. At that point he will just tie in to power and use as others have Withjust Bluetooth connectivity to helmet speakers. Probably do this after the holidays. Let you all know what I find out when I do!:rolleyes:
I would very much like to hear how this works. My Nav III has had some flakiness of late and I don't know that Garmin will even work on them anymore. I do like the integration with the VOICE II intercom and would like to maintain that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I recently bought an 05 LT with the Voice II comm system. I have a new Garmin Zumo 660 that I have been using on my 02 LT. I just identified the GPS connector for the comm system on the 05 and soldered some connectors to the appropriate wires, and plugged them into the Garmin sockets. I ran power directly to the battery, because I like to program the gps for a destination before putting on gloves, getting on the bike, etc.

It all works fine. Cell phone audio quality (through Garmin via bluetooth) is not very good, but turn-by-turn audio from the gps is good. If I wanted to use my cell phone on the bike, I would plug it into the comm system, rather than using the bluetooth connection via gps.

I used half of the RAM mount that came with the Garmin to mount the cradle on the fairing. Just drilled two holes next to the courtesy light and put bolts through the half-mount and the plastic. There's a very slight vibration on very rough pavement, but I'm happy with it, and I really like where it sits. Don't have to look down to read it, and I can easily reach it while riding.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I recently bought an 05 LT with the Voice II comm system. I have a new Garmin Zumo 660 that I have been using on my 02 LT. I just identified the GPS connector for the comm system on the 05 and soldered some connectors to the appropriate wires, and plugged them into the Garmin sockets. I ran power directly to the battery, because I like to program the gps for a destination before putting on gloves, getting on the bike, etc.

It all works fine. Cell phone audio quality (through Garmin via bluetooth) is not very good, but turn-by-turn audio from the gps is good. If I wanted to use my cell phone on the bike, I would plug it into the comm system, rather than using the bluetooth connection via gps.

I used half of the RAM mount that came with the Garmin to mount the cradle on the fairing. Just drilled two holes next to the courtesy light and put bolts through the half-mount and the plastic. There's a very slight vibration on very rough pavement, but I'm happy with it, and I really like where it sits. Don't have to look down to read it, and I can easily reach it while riding.
I assume the GPS audio is hard-wired to the VOICE II communication system, right? Could you perhaps provide some more information on the wires and connectors you used? How about pictures of the mounting? Sounds like a very practical modifcation to get the Zumo 660 talking though the VOICE II Comms.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I assume the GPS audio is hard-wired to the VOICE II communication system, right? Could you perhaps provide some more information on the wires and connectors you used? How about pictures of the mounting? Sounds like a very practical modifcation to get the Zumo 660 talking though the VOICE II Comms.
I bought 3/32 in. and 1/8 in. mono phone plug connectors from Radio Shack and soldered them onto the appropriate wires from the gps connector from the comm system. Then, I just plugged them into the audio in and audio out sockets from the garmin cradle. Power is directly from the battery terminals, fused of course, via eyelet connectors. I'm pretty sure turn-by-turn can be played over the speakers as well as over the helmet speakers, but I don't think I've tried it.

I will be working on the bike tomorrow, and I will take, and post, some pictures of the mounting method for the garmin, as well as pictures of the gps socket, so you can see which one it is. Remember I said that the cell phone audio is not very good via garmin and bluetooth. I would recommend using the cell phone via the socket directly on the voice II system, rather than bluetooth via the garmin, if you want cell phone. The garmin bluetooth works great for the cell phone when I am using the garmin in my truck, by the way, but for some reason it does not work well on the bike. Maybe your soldering job will be better than mine. My audio quality for the turn-by-turn directions from the garmin is pretty good.

That's all I care about, since I don't talk on my cell phone while riding the bike. That would make me no better than a soccer mom or teenage girl. Cheap shot, I know, but I'm tired of having to dodge those idiots, whether I'm on my bike or in one of the cages.

·
Registered
2017 R1200RT
349 Posts
I have an 06 LT and I'm very interested to know where the "gps socket" is located. My bike came with the Nav III, but I replaced it with the 665 and have it plugged into the aux port.

Sammy

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have 4 pictures of the mounting method I used, and 2 pictures of the gps socket on the comm system. I don't know whether they will show up, but if not, I will try again.

There is a small cutout at the left end of the courtesy light opening. That can be slightly enlarged with a rat tail file to make room for the cradle cable to pass through. From there, it is easy to route it back to the gps socket and the battery. The gps socket is on one of the cables attached to the comm system, beneath the stingray.

I have the gps sitting slightly to the left, because this allows me more flexibility on orientation of the display. Very often, it helps to have the display at a slight angle to your line of sight, to eliminate or minimize glare.

I really wanted to maintain the courtesy light, so I did not use the commercially available mount which requires removal of the light. We have that on our '02 LT, and I like this ram mount better. The commercial mount does not allow for adjustment of the angle of the face of the unit, in addition to eliminating the light.

Hope this info helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 R1200RT
349 Posts
Thank you for the pics. How does the GPS play through your intercom system? I guess I'm asking what setting do you have to put it (the intercom) on to hear the directions, etc? Can you tell me more about the socket under the stingray? I've had my stingray off a few times and I'm generally familiar with the side with all the radio connectors, but how can I identify the correct one for the GPS? Is something plugged into it now or is it empty? Thanks again.

Sammy

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thank you for the pics. How does the GPS play through your intercom system? I guess I'm asking what setting do you have to put it (the intercom) on to hear the directions, etc? Can you tell me more about the socket under the stingray? I've had my stingray off a few times and I'm generally familiar with the side with all the radio connectors, but how can I identify the correct one for the GPS? Is something plugged into it now or is it empty? Thanks again.

Sammy
1) I believe that the turn-by-turn directions played no matter what source setting the comm system was on. We tried radio, intercom, and CD. Didn't try AUX, since I didn't have an AUX source hooked up and probably never will. That's one reason that this hookup is better than using the AUX jack, since in that case, you would only hear the gps when you had AUX selected.

2) Your gps connector is probably not connected to anything currently. I posted two pictures of the connector. It has a cover that releases and pulls off, as shown in my pictures.

I think you can buy a cable (for over $100) that will connect to the gps socket for hooking up a nav system, but I never could identify one that had the mono plugs that will plug into the garmin harness. I would not have spent that much money on one anyway, just for 2 wires.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I bought 3/32 in. and 1/8 in. mono phone plug connectors from Radio Shack and soldered them onto the appropriate wires from the gps connector from the comm system. Then, I just plugged them into the audio in and audio out sockets from the garmin cradle.

Thanks for posting the pictures and your methodolgy. Could you perhaps remember which wires from the GPS connector go to which connector, i.e what color to AUDIO IN and what to AUDIO OUT?

·
Registered
570 Posts
I recently purchased a NAV IV at a great price ..........................
Where and how great the deal was????
Please PM me if you don't want to declare here openly...
I am looking for one too... ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Could you perhaps remember which wires from the GPS connector go to which connector, i.e what color to AUDIO IN and what to AUDIO OUT?
Sorry, but I don't remember. Once I've finished a job, at my age, I tend to clear the memory banks for more important stuff.

I think I looked at other cables to see what color usually carries audio into the comm system. Then, I connected that color to the "audio out" jack in the gps cradle harness & turned the gps on to see if I had audio coming from the garmin into the comm system & playing over the bike speakers. You can usually hear the gps power up, but I think I also punched a few buttons to see if I heard the beeps over the speakers.

If I had to guess, I would guess that it is the white wire that carries audio from the gps into the comm system, but that is purely a guess.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.