BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to switch from my BMW Nav III system to my Zumo 660 (prefer the larger screen and music capability). The Nav III is wired in with a plug under the stingray that has three wires. One s brown so is the ground, one will be switched 12V, does anyone know what the other one is for? Does anyone know if a plug is available for that wire so I don't have to cut into the 3-wire loom?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I've done the same swap.

Are you sure that the wire you measured really is "switched" +12V or could that be hot when your ignition key is in "accessories" (i.e. radio) position? The reason I am asking is that I don't remember 100% that part.
In any case one of the two +12V wires is hooked up that way and that is what you want to use for your new Zumo.
OK I admit, the Zumo has it's own battery as well so it is not so important which wire you use. The main thing is that you can operate the GPS unit without having to have the ignition on (or bike running).

Finding the counterpart for the BMW plug can be a pain unless you waste your old Nav III harness and steal the connector from it. If you want to save that harness for some reason then I would recommend that you simply go to your local auto shop and get a new 2-pin connector and use that for your GPS power connecting. You will only need two wires out of the three OEM. Just wrap tape around the third one and make sure it is isolated.

I found the Zumo harness way too long for the LT use so I ended up cutting it quite a bit shorter and thus making it easier to tuck under the stingray.

Regards

1 - 2 of 2 Posts