BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This appears to be a common problem (and admittedly old), but new to me and very much appreciate guidance....

After years of laziness upgraded Maps (bought lifetime) upgrade for a 2009 Navigator III only to discover they don't fit - what used to hold all of North America now holds 4-5 states. I can continuously swap states during trips, but I ride the LT long and hard - 4-5 states might be an average day.

Have other found a work-around that works? Am I missing something?
Have other upgraded GPS units? Is so, what works well? Are there pinouts available for the cable mount of the NAV 3 than can be adapted?

Appreciate any feedback given this is likely old news.
jp

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I'm not sure what a Nav III is in Garmin normal product but you need to go to a SD card to hold all the maps. You need to get at least 4GB but I would suggest 8GB and you should be set for a while. Garmin map update will spill your maps onto the SD automagically... If you insert it when it calls for it.

According to Garmin it does not slow the GPS down having maps on the SD card.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - The BMW Navigator III is the BMW version of the Garmin 2820 - it does not have an AD card option. I stuck pondering how the Maps could have grown an order of magnitude in 4 years, but if that's the case I need to upgrade. Just wondering how folks may have approached that - technically and aesthetically.

Any inpyt appreciated.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Thanks - The BMW Navigator III is the BMW version of the Garmin 2820 - it does not have an AD card option. I stuck pondering how the Maps could have grown an order of magnitude in 4 years, but if that's the case I need to upgrade. Just wondering how folks may have approached that - technically and aesthetically.

Any inpyt appreciated.
In 2008 when I bought our K1200LT it had the BMW NAVI (Garming Street Pilot III)installed on a BMR shelf. The GPS was original equipment on the motorcycle when the motorcycle was new (an LTE). In 2011 I replaced the aging NavI with a Garmin Zumo 220. I can answer your aesthetic part pretty easy. On picture is of the old NavI and the other is of the Zumo 220.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
I have a 2009 LT with a Nav III+ and it would overlay everything until last year. That was when it started doing what you describe. I could only update a few states. I could get my PC updated for the whole thing, just not the GPS.
Also mine does not have a memory card so that doesn't help.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Guys;

There is a way. I have a 2820 and have 2014 NA maps on it.

You have to format all the info, install the basic operating software and then install the maps, not for the faint of hearts!!

Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not!!

I was also looking at upgrading to a SD slotted gps but decided to try first.

Very slow to operate but should work for this year.

Bowdon

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
On my 2820 maps kept getting bigger and bigger. Had to leave out Mexico, then Canada. This years are even bigger. I had to strip out all the music files and extra data like tracks still couldn't get it all. Left last years maps in it. No more updates for that unit. Funny thing is I had a little more memory on my 2720 for some reason.

·
Miles of Smiles
1,056 Posts
If you're asking about the BMW Nav III....
No SD Card.
No Music.
I've had this problem with Europe maps since 2010.
It's messy, but what I do is wipe the old data completely to maximize
space then load just a part of the EU total. Say the UK or France.
I can then load the rest which IIRC runs about 3.-- Gb.
It fits.
No issues with usability, but it does take a little longer to load maps
on initial start up. You see a progress bar along the bottom of the screen.

Works for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for the support and guidance - good to know others have adaptations strategies for the problem. Still considering options as I wait for the Northeast to thaw (current dynamics indicate I have some time).

Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Problem resolved (for now). FWIW - here is the workflow that will work, and the scenario as it played out for me (Garmin Tech support responded superbly to my email in <24 hours).

1) I order map update via the Garmin Website - the site recognized the USB-attached BMW Navigator III
2) I was given the opportunity to immediately load the maps via the website, which I tried. I was told the entire North America Map set would not fit, and to either select from a set of 6 large subsets, or download the maps to my PC to load in a custom fashion. One of the options in the subset was "Lower 49 States". I opted to download the maps to my PC
3) After downloading the maps, I was encouraged to use Garmin's Express software to transfer the maps. After installing and running Express I was informed it did not support my device. I was encouraged to use Map Installer.
4) After installing and running Map Installer I found it was only showed a fraction of available memory, and my ability to load maps was limited to 5 states.
5) I also tried using BaseCamp to load maps - same result as (5)

The problem it seems is the newer apps do not install the maps in the right location.

The CORRECT way to load the maps is to use Map Updater:

http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe

This will use the web and recreate scenario (2) - download a large subset from here directly to the GPS device. I successfuly got the lower 49 states, which is OK for now. This process takes 2 hours on a very powerful PC. If/when I need Canada, I'll need to go back for a different subset. I might try sideloading one or two of those via Basecamp just to see if the GPS is even reading from that memory location - but at least I have my bigger chuck and can spend my cash on a new macro lens and not a new GPS.

Thanks agin for the ideas and support.
jrp

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
Problem resolved (for now). FWIW - here is the workflow that will work, and the scenario as it played out for me (Garmin Tech support responded superbly to my email in <24 hours).

1) I order map update via the Garmin Website - the site recognized the USB-attached BMW Navigator III
2) I was given the opportunity to immediately load the maps via the website, which I tried. I was told the entire North America Map set would not fit, and to either select from a set of 6 large subsets, or download the maps to my PC to load in a custom fashion. One of the options in the subset was "Lower 49 States". I opted to download the maps to my PC
3) After downloading the maps, I was encouraged to use Garmin's Express software to transfer the maps. After installing and running Express I was informed it did not support my device. I was encouraged to use Map Installer.
4) After installing and running Map Installer I found it was only showed a fraction of available memory, and my ability to load maps was limited to 5 states.

The problem it seems is the newer apps do not install the maps in the right location.

This will use the web and recreate scenario (2) - download a large subset from here directly to the GPS device. I successfuly got the lower 49 states, which is OK for now. This process takes 2 hours on a very powerful PC. If/when I need Canada, I'll need to go back for a different subset. I might try sideloading one or two of those via Basecamp just to see if the GPS is even reading from that memory location - but at least I have my bigger chuck and can spend my cash on a new macro lens and not a new GPS.

jrp
When I contacted tech support, I was politely told that I was SOL as the newer maps simply were not supported by my discontinued device. They suggested I can't act my BMW dealer for help! That was truly funny, but it was right there in the email.

I will give this a try, but I figured the old map updater program would not handle the new maps. I used to use this, but Garmin updated me to mapinstall and then to Express, which doesn't even recognize the device. I had to keep mapinstall for my Nav 3, but it no longer can access the newer maps. I am surprised that mapupdater is able to access the new maps.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have also contacted Garmin regarding my Nav III. I've had a problem with it since I bought my '07 new. The unit would, on it's own, go to the calibration screen, zoom in or out, go to the "save location" window. I was told to do a reset. That worked for a while and then back to the same stuff. They had be reload the software and several other fixes. None of this has worked and the problem has become so bad that I just shut it off. I called them last week, quite angry that a $600 piece of equipment doesn't work right. I was told they couldn't do anything under the warranty, even though they have my record of problems going back to '07. (Oh, I also purchased their "Lifetime Map Updates") They offered me a replacement deal, $200 for a Zumo 550. I asked if my "Lifetime Map Update" could be transferred. NOPE. it is only good for the unit that it is purchased for!! I asked how that can be if the unit is defective. They said it was only good for the "lifetime" of the device. Then they told me that it wouldn't be good for the Nav III even if it worked fine because "it's an older device and our maps have changed" HUH???????? So to any of you who purchased the Garmin Lifetime Map Update, you're all out of luck. It seems Garmin determines when your devices "useful life" is over. How can this be if it's a "Lifetime Map Update"????? This is a class action waiting to happen. I can't believe BMW partners with an outfit like this.

I don't know if anyone else has had this kind of problem with Garmin but I'd be interested in knowing.

Joe

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have also contacted Garmin regarding my Nav III. I've had a problem with it since I bought my '07 new. The unit would, on it's own, go to the calibration screen, zoom in or out, go to the "save location" window. I was told to do a reset. That worked for a while and then back to the same stuff. They had be reload the software and several other fixes. None of this has worked and the problem has become so bad that I just shut it off. I called them last week, quite angry that a $600 piece of equipment doesn't work right. I was told they couldn't do anything under the warranty, even though they have my record of problems going back to '07. (Oh, I also purchased their "Lifetime Map Updates") They offered me a replacement deal, $200 for a Zumo 550. I asked if my "Lifetime Map Update" could be transferred. NOPE. it is only good for the unit that it is purchased for!! I asked how that can be if the unit is defective. They said it was only good for the "lifetime" of the device. Then they told me that it wouldn't be good for the Nav III even if it worked fine because "it's an older device and our maps have changed" HUH???????? So to any of you who purchased the Garmin Lifetime Map Update, you're all out of luck. It seems Garmin determines when your devices "useful life" is over. How can this be if it's a "Lifetime Map Update"????? This is a class action waiting to happen. I can't believe BMW partners with an outfit like this.

I don't know if anyone else has had this kind of problem with Garmin but I'd be interested in knowing.

Joe
The "lifetime" they're referring to is the lifetime of the device, not your lifetime. And they decide what the lifetime is. If you read the fine print when you buy a lifetime map update, you'll find that stated pretty clearly. Also, unlike "internet wisdom" says, there is no commitment to doing four updates per year. That has been their custom, but I believe they have just dropped to two per year in Europe. And that is within the terms of their "lifetime maps". One might want to quibble with their use of the term "lifetime".

I understand your frustration. The Nav is a computer. The computer makers have done a pretty good job of getting us conditioned that old hardware will not indefinitely be upgradeable to current software. You don't hear too much complaining about that; most people accept it as a fact of life in the high-tech world.

Garmin is faced with the same difficulties; they are trying to add new features in the software and in the maps, and that inevitably requires faster devices with more memory. No different than the problems Apple faces with old iPhones (I just had to buy a new phone so I could run the current iOS) and Macs (katnapinn just bought a new Mac for the same reason), and Microsoft faces with old PC's (of which I have a shelffull).

Now, some of that can be mitigated with customer service. Offering trade-in deals, for example. Some people will find those reasonable, some will not. I guess you're in the "not" category.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
The "lifetime" they're referring to is the lifetime of the device, not your lifetime.
:histerica Glad I wasn't drinking coffee when I read that statement. Perfection!!! :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts

Joe
I have much the same problem. I bought my Nav III 6 or so years ago. It was DOA and Garmin was good about replacing it. I now have the map update issues and on my current trip to NS and NL it has done weird things like go into calibration mode and act as though I touched the screen when I haven't. So, something is starting to fail in the touchscreen or other system.

It sucks that their isn't a better solution, but from what I understand the other GPS makers suck even more than Garmin, so I will probably stick with them. I find that my ipad works well and I use it in my car more than my Nuvi. However, unless Apple makes a weatherproof version, I will need to buy something for my LT. I hear the Nav 4 is plug and play, but that is likely near end of life also. The Nav 5 apparently has a quite different interface. I am looking at the 590LM and may try to get it to talk to my VOICE II intercom.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
They offered me a replacement deal, $200 for a Zumo 550.

Joe
$200 for a 550 is a deal. Used are going for a lot more than that. There are lots of other Garmin models that you can get new with 'lifetime' maps and and traffic and bigger screens for less but none that will act like the M/C units and allow you to stop recalculation at every turn off.

If you go for the 550 you will also need a min 4GB SD card (I suggest 8GB) and lifetime maps.. probably about $55 on Amazon or EBay..

Also note that 'lifetime' maps also expire if you don't update the unit for two calendar years.. You must read the fine print... :compute:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Jack I should receive my Zumo 550 in the mail sometime this week. My question is did you splice into the old nav 111 wiring or remove the plastic and rewire. Also any tips on mounting the 550.
Steve

·
Registered
47 Posts

jrp
The above link worked just fine! I now have the latest maps on my NAV III.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Jack I should receive my Zumo 550 in the mail sometime this week. My question is did you splice into the old nav 111 wiring or remove the plastic and rewire. Also any tips on mounting the 550.

Steve

I did not have a BMW branded GPS I had a Garmin sp111. I just used same 12v pickup point for the 550 and put it on my BMR copilot shelf.

I like GPS at eye level on the copilot shelf and I leave it powered hot so the timers will run during the day so I can keep track of stopped time during a busy travel day.

I also use a Touratech locking mount so I don't need to keep an eye on the GPS during gas/potty stops in busy places.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 29 Posts