BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Garmin nolonger repairs the Navigator series GPS has anyone found another repair company?

I searched the Web and found a company in the UK anyone over there used their services? This is the Uk folks.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Great find John!

if they didn't charge so much for an updated map I'd be running one of my older units.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
BecketMa said:
Great find John!

if they didn't charge so much for an updated map I'd be running one of my older units.
Still running my 2820 and 2720 and I just updated the maps on both. I got in on the lifetime map updates. I figure its paid for itself by now.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bob I sent them a qoute request...then I'll know how good a find it is. :)

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,260 Posts
I would like to know as well. I have an other wise good 2720 with a touch screen that it touched!!

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jzeiler said:
I would like to know as well. I have an other wise good 2720 with a touch screen that it touched!!
John,

Not sure what you were saying about a screen bing touched, unless you were saying it got touched to hard. :(

I have read on the internet (since its on the internet it has to be true ) that dust can get between the screen and the gasket/seal and this will throw off the calibration. The solution was to remove the front cover, clean the screen and the rubber gasket on the cover.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have a Nav III which was free upgrade with my 2006 R1200RT. I never updated the map since new, so about 2 months ago (11/12) I went to see if the 1 time free map was still available, and to my surprise it was!

Took a couple of hours to download the entire map, my navigation works much better now. Doubt I'll even get another update, so this may have to do for the next 7 years.

Triple

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
:corn:

Keep us updated, my 2820 went T.U. Last week and I was very disappointed to find out that OEM service support was no longer available.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Latest information on repair services..

No reply from the folks in the UK :( , I sent a second request thursday and have not heard back. So I think they are just a Web page now and not a business aanymore. :(

However I found another source, maybe. :) This company seems to sell parts. I emailed them and asked if they do repairs and they replied yes. Note all they said was yes, nothing like, Yes and this is the process.

So I am chasing them for details. Tune in later for updates. :)

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update;

I was able to contact portatronics today. They charge $9.00 to diagnose a problem and then sent you a repair quote. I'll be sending in my 2820 that does not power up and test the process.

If you want to wait to see what happens stayed tuned, or if you can't wait, contact them here. Click on the getting started link.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
John,
what was the outcome of getting a quote and a repair for your 2820? did you get it repaired, and if so, how was the service? who did you contact?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,260 Posts
johnbaker15 said:
John,

Not sure what you were saying about a screen bing touched, unless you were saying it got touched to hard. :(

I have read on the internet (since its on the internet it has to be true ) that dust can get between the screen and the gasket/seal and this will throw off the calibration. The solution was to remove the front cover, clean the screen and the rubber gasket on the cover.
I have had it apart at least four times and have tried heating the screen with a heat gun, cleaning it, etc. Put it back together and it works fine until it touches itself!
Then it won't stop. My 2610 only does that below 50 degrees so it is good in the summer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts