BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For as much as they charge for these BMW Navigator modules, one would think they could make all the features work. IMHO, they are overpriced, buggy, and unreliable.

Now for my latest problem(s) with the Nav 6

When you have the temperature display, where does it get it from? I had the temp displaying a while back, but for the last couple weeks, it just displays --- instead of a number. I have it show the fuel miles remaining on the other side, which has worked until today, but now just shows --- even though I have 7/8 of a tank.

Is there something that stops these features from working, where I can adjust settings to have them come back on?
Has anyone else had problems with the temp and/or miles remaining?
Has anyone actually owned one of these and NOT had a problem with it?

Thanks in advance,
-Dana

·
Registered
998 Posts
Not having issues with mine but there has been one post pointing out that the touch screen is very sensitive and oil etc from touching it can cause problems, cleaning helps. I do not remember being able to use touch gloves on with the nav 5, the 6 seems to be extremely sensitive even with gloves on.

·
IBR# 366
16,532 Posts
Some of the data is pulled from the bike's LINbus.

Dirty or corroded contacts on the back of the Nav unit or its cradle can affect that data transfer.

Try removing the Nav unit and gently cleaning both sets of contacts with a pencil eraser.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some of the data is pulled from the bike's LINbus.

Dirty or corroded contacts on the back of the Nav unit or its cradle can affect that data transfer.

Try removing the Nav unit and gently cleaning both sets of contacts with a pencil eraser.
I had tried that s couple times already.

I brought the unit in and checked for updates, and there was one. It must have been a small update, because it took less than a minute

After the update, it's working again, for now, showing both the air temp and the remaining fuel miles.

It's just a very unreliable piece of electronics, and I still stand by my comment that it is NOT worth the price, when you could mount a phone and use Google maps, and have better Bluetooth integration.

However, when it is working,nits not a bad unit, despite the outdated software interface.

·
Registered
631 Posts
For as much as they charge for these BMW Navigator modules, one would think they could make all the features work. IMHO, they are overpriced, buggy, and unreliable.

When you have the temperature display, where does it get it from? I had the temp displaying a while back, but for the last couple weeks, it just displays --- instead of a number. I have it show the fuel miles remaining on the other side, which has worked until today, but now just shows --- even though I have 7/8 of a tank.

Is there something that stops these features from working, where I can adjust settings to have them come back on?

Thanks in advance,
-Dana
From what I can tell, it gets the temperature information from your phone using the Smartphone Link app. It's not "corroded" contacts.

·
IBR# 366
16,532 Posts
But it wouldn't get the fuel level / miles remaining info from your phone...

Glad to hear that a software update solved dleasman's issues.

It seems that many random problems can be solved by either rebooting or updating the software/firmware...

·
Registered
343 Posts

Thanks in advance,
-Dana
It gets the fuel level and km from the bike, probably via CANbus but gets the temp from your cell if it's linked via BT.
I had my Nav VI on the bike, in my garage, switched on. Bike temp on the display was 21.5°C. No temp reading on the Nav VI.
Switched BT on my cell and got 19°C, the actual outside temp on the Nav VI.
Now the Nav VI is sitting on my desk and is showing 19°C. No fuel reading.

·
Registered
631 Posts
But it wouldn't get the fuel level / miles remaining info from your phone...

Glad to hear that a software update solved dleasman's issues.

It seems that many random problems can be solved by either rebooting or updating the software/firmware...
Correct...the GPS gets weather and traffic info from the phone. The fuel level thing is pretty useless since it's not based on anything...you enter how far a tank of gas gets you and it tells you how far you can go based on that and how far you've gone.

The first step of diagnosing any computer system is to power off, power on, check for updates. Works like 90% of the time. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
For as much as they charge for these BMW Navigator modules, one would think they could make all the features work. IMHO, they are overpriced, buggy, and unreliable. . . . . . . . -Dana
I certainly agree with you Dana about the Nav 6 being overpriced. The only thing that comforts me about my Nav 6 is that I got for half price when I bought my 1250RT. I reckon my Smart Phone is a much better overall experience than the Nav 6 . . . and while I'm walking around, the phone is half the weight in my pocket.

Yep the Nav6 is an extravagant use of money with the R1250RT (IMHO) . . . perhaps it's worth having on a R1250GS, where I believe the integration is more extensive (so I'm lead to believe).

I'm yet to become fully comfortable plotting routes in advance with BaseCamp ~ that's one area where the Nav 6 may shine . . . the reason is Google Maps is just so darn easy to use . . . . and I also like using the 'Here We Go' navigation app on the phone.

·
IBR# 366
16,532 Posts
It all depends on what info you want available, and how complicated your routes are.

For local rides, my iPhone works fine. Apple Maps is easy to use and offers good estimated route times. I'll often also run Waze in the background for local audio alerts.

For anything with multiple stops or where I want to run specific roads, then a dedicated GPS just works better. And if I'm out away from normal cell service (easy to do out west), then a GPS wins hands down.

Try running a route like this with just a phone, then get back to me... :)

·
Premium Member
7,522 Posts
It all depends on what info you want available, and how complicated your routes are.

For local rides, my iPhone works fine. Apple Maps is easy to use and offers good estimated route times. I'll often also run Waze in the background for local audio alerts.

For anything with multiple stops or where I want to run specific roads, then a dedicated GPS just works better. And if I'm out away from normal cell service (easy to do out west), then a GPS wins hands down.

Try running a route like this with just a phone, then get back to me... :)

I personally prefer using a dedicated GPS also with phone and ipad as backup. However, if your phone has loads of memory, you can download Google maps for a large area and then not need cell coverage so you are more like a GPS. I am not sure of this, but I think there are even apps now that will download information for restaurants, gas stations, etc., which, last I knew anyway, Google maps does not download.

Having said that, I like having a device that is self-contained and ruggedized for use in rain, dust and such. I don’t want to lose my cell phone and then not have it when needed. Now, one could carry two cell phones and with downloaded maps come close to what a dedicated GPS does, but I still prefer using a device that is tailored for a given function. I never liked TVs that had VCRs built into them for the same reason. :grin:

·
IBR# 366
16,532 Posts
Agreed, Voyager.

For running errands locally in well-populated areas, a cell phone is fine.

For my distance rides, a dedicated GPS is better, using the phone as backup.

For serious LD rides or when running the IBR I have two Nav VI units, plus the phone, plus an iPad on the tank bag. Using the correct tool for the job allows me to get all the info that I need at a glance, thus keeping more of my attention focused on the road rather than on the tools...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I believe that a cell phone needs to have cell tower access to function like a gps. Without that, even with downloaded maps it would only be like having a paper map. At least you could still navigate from known crossroad positions though.

Paul

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I believe that a cell phone needs to have cell tower access to function like a gps. Without that, even with downloaded maps it would only be like having a paper map. At least you could still navigate from known crossroad positions though.

Paul
No I think you are mistaken, at least with iPhones and iPads there is a GPS antenna. They do use cell tower info and even known wifi networks to get a quick approximate location but for accurate navigation they need to see a satellite.

·
Registered
30 Posts
No I think you are mistaken, at least with iPhones and iPads there is a GPS antenna. They do use cell tower info and even known wifi networks to get a quick approximate location but for accurate navigation they need to see a satellite.
Thanks for the correction on that - I guess I should have researched before posting.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Paul
Google Mas for all mobile devices just use the GPS antenna in the device. This is true for hand held gps, phones, tablets, smart watches, and even the clunky Nav 6.

For mobile devices, they used to require wireless data access for map data, but today, everything is pre-cached. If you enter a destination, it will load all required map data and cache it when it has access. You can also force caching of areas before you go visit them. Google maps has greatly evolved over the years. As got accuracy...The US GPS system works pretty well, but if you add the Russian GLONAS satellites to the mix, accuracy is greatly improved. My DJI drone and the charting system on my boat both utilize GPS and GLONAS together. I believe the Nav 6 is GPS only.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hope the Nav 7 (if they ever make one) implements Android Auto and Apple Car Play, and then we don't have to deal with many of the issues we see with the Nav 6 (and 5)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I hope Garmin decides to release a full featured version of their nav software for iOS and Android. My phone is considerably more powerful than any of the Garmin devices and has much more storage. Garmin’s hardware leaves much to be desired, and since I’m carrying this small, powerful computer anyway, I’ll be glad to pay for a the Garmin software.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
'Here We Go' is Android only (I believe) and it works fine without Internet connection.

See this link from a guy who has a Smart Phone "holder" snapped into the Navigator mount on a BMW GS.

Mounts specifically for the R1200RT: 2014 ~ 2019 . . . . cost about $20.00 on AliExpress.

·
Registered
16 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts