BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
2020 BMW R1250RT
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a nav 6 when i purchased my R1250RT in may of last year. The screen started ghosting after only 6 months. Garmin sent out a brand new replacement but it started having theghosting problem again. Garmin is sending another replacement but a referbed unit this time. Garmins customer service has been easy to work with but being on a 3rd gps in less than 2 years os ridiculous. Are there any non bmw branded gps units compatible with the cradle/mount on the RTs?

Registered
2018 R1200RT
I bought a nav 6 when i purchased my R1250RT in may of last year. The screen started ghosting after only 6 months. Garmin sent out a brand new replacement but it started having theghosting problem again. Garmin is sending another replacement but a referbed unit this time. Garmins customer service has been easy to work with but being on a 3rd gps in less than 2 years os ridiculous. Are there any non bmw branded gps units compatible with the cradle/mount on the RTs?
Short answer: No

My target is going to be this configuration (video below). I intend to play with the OEM BMW connector to see if I can find a solution to wire the Zumo directly into the same electrical power supply as the BMW connector (i.e. without damaging the OEM cable). There could be issues (i.e. BMW computer, CANBUS, etc., so that may go nowhere. However, unlike the youtube poster, I'm not comfortable with the "always on unless I disconnect" solution.

I haven't committed yet, may still go with the NAV6, but since BMW is charging 2x over market for a motorcycle GPS, and that device has been buggy from start to end, I'm reticent to buy one. When it comes to bugs, I just don't trust BMW (or their supplier Garmin) to adequately back the product. I mean, what has it been, SEVEN YEARS now, and they're still ironing out issues? WTH?!馃槻馃檮馃槚

Registered
If you want something that fits to the existing mount, then your choices are an older model of BMW Navigator, or a Garmin Zumo 660, or one of the various eBay cradles that will clip into the nav bracket and hold a smartphone.

A Garmin zumo 660 will fit the mount. and receive power from it, but will not interact with the whizzy wheel.

The 660 is discontinued, but probably available on ebay. Newer Zumos use a different mounting bracket.
You can update the maps by plugging into a PC. Some came with free updates for life I think. Mine didn't.

The Navigator IV I think looks physically the same as the zumo 660, but can be controlled by the wheel.
The screen isn't quite as good in bright sunlight as the later models.

If you're happy looking at a phone, then consider one of these.
I've got a non-RT version for my adventure bike. It works ok on road, but on trails the phone would work it's way right and kept having to push it back.

Also BMW seem to be doing their own version of this now (but seems it may not fit RTs ?)

Registered
The refreshed units are supposed to be ok now. If they have replaced your units that have had problems, then that is a result and to me is a plus. I had to pay 拢145 to get my 3 year old unit replaced. If your satisfied with how it performs I can see no reason to mess around changing. All electronics can have issues, its more about the support you get, which from your post seems very reasonable. Some have managed to fit a Garmin XT and some have bodged a tom tom onto the holder.

Registered
2020 BMW R1250RT
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I like this gps a lot and other than ghosting i never had any issues with it. Kudos to garmin for extending the warranty and having a no questions asked exchange policy for these units. On the other hand the 6 has been out long enough that the issue should have been fixed by now especially for the thousand dollar price. I figured bmw would have a proprietary mount to force customers to buy the bmw branded gps.

Premium Member

I'm on my 4th or 5th one after FOUR Nav V's (Got Nav V hoping it'd be better - NOPE)

What I seemed to have found is that the newer screen on the Nav 6 is even MORE sensitive to dirt causing a capacitive coupling into the touch screen.
When mine on my GSA starts the ghost presses I have to pull over, get a Clean micro-fiber and some water and do a good job of cleaning the screen off.

It then goes away until I inevitably smudge some OTHER contaminate, dirt, bug guts, or whatever onto the display again and the ghosting returns.

I hesitate to use any kind of cleaning solution as I'm not sure of it's effect on any screen coating or embedded electronics in the screen

I'm guessing they used a capacitive touch screen and made it ultra-sensitive to work with gloves when they normally won't.....
Some reading on how they work: https://scienceline.org/2012/01/okay-but-how-do-touch-screens-actually-work/

Reactions: Scott9999

Registered
I decided to go with my Zumo 396. I have a mount for it on my other bikes and like to be able to just swap it to the bike I'm riding. Installing the mount was pretty easy although since the mount sits horizontally rather than vertically like the NAV 6 I had to make a little plate to cover the opening. The Zumo fits the space perfectly.
Picture frame Reflex camera Motor vehicle Digital camera Camera accessory
Gadget Camera accessory Reflex camera Cameras & optics Digital camera

Registered
BMW R1200RT, 2015

[/QUOTE]

Hi,
I had this support on my GSA and I currently have another on RT'15.
They work perfectly with smartphone and wazeapp... which is perfect!! Another important point is its price: 鈧22.78

Registered
2019 R1250rt
The refreshed units are supposed to be ok now. If they have replaced your units that have had problems, then that is a result and to me is a plus. I had to pay 拢145 to get my 3 year old unit replaced. If your satisfied with how it performs I can see no reason to mess around changing. All electronics can have issues, its more about the support you get, which from your post seems very reasonable. Some have managed to fit a Garmin XT and some have bodged a tom tom onto the holder.
Yes the new unit appears to have corrected the issue. The colours, font and layout is slightly different.
It has Live to Ride on the open screen.

Registered
2018 R1200RT
Yes there is another option - E-nav XT RT - Adapter 3D Motorrad Shop

I just got mine. I have yet to hook it up (it's not exactly riding season here in Wisconsin), but I have heard from others it works just fine. Pros - Better, less expensive XT with bigger screen cradle mounts and looks the part. Cons - Loss of wonderwheel functionality for the GPS.
I am here to testify that this solution works! I use this E-nav XT RT adapter with my 2018 RT which came with a navigation cradle. See photo!
Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting Light Automotive tire

Registered
2018 R1200RT

I just got mine. I have yet to hook it up (it's not exactly riding season here in Wisconsin), but I have heard from others it works just fine. Pros - Better, less expensive XT with bigger screen cradle mounts and looks the part. Cons - Loss of wonderwheel functionality for the GPS.
At about $65, I'm not sure how this bracket works any better than what the guy in the video I posted, did for his bike. Yes, you have to pick up a few parts from the hardware store (i.e. don't have to buy the kits he did, those spacers and metrics bolt are pretty generic), and do a bit of install work (which must be done no matter what). Am I missing something advantageous about the E-Nav adapter? Maybe it's just better for the GS than RT.

It's not a bad solution, though. Looks clean.

Thanks.

Registered
At about $65, I'm not sure how this bracket works any better than what the guy in the video I posted, did for his bike. Yes, you have to pick up a few parts from the hardware store (i.e. don't have to buy the kits he did, those spacers and metrics bolt are pretty generic), and do a bit of install work (which must be done no matter what). Am I missing something advantageous about the E-Nav adapter? Maybe it's just better for the GS than RT.

It's not a bad solution, though. Looks clean.

Thanks.
Once you factor shipping it's closer to $100. Is it better? I guess that's up to the individual. I'm very accustom to fabricating parts for motorcycles. In fact, I enjoy it. I like the challenge, I like the results, and in the end, I feel I usually come up with a superior product. But in this case. what I like about this solution over fabricating my own is that it uses the electric interface buss on the RT pod vs wiring in a power source. Also, I believe, (but I haven't mounted it yet so I can't say for sure) that it's truly plug and play as well as detachable using the push button to lock it in place. And lastly, it's just easy. For $100 I don't have to give it another thought.

Registered
2016 R1200RT

I have one of those although I had some issues with power with it which I have rectified and the seller has made adjustments too so it works better

If you have any power issues then contact me and I will give you some info

Registered
I have one of those although I had some issues with power with it which I have rectified and the seller has made adjustments too so it works better

If you have any power issues then contact me and I will give you some info

Thanks for the feedback! I hope it goes trouble free but it's good to know the solution is an easy one. Nice write up on the Garmin page!

Registered
'17 RTW; Cobalt Black; Illium barbaks and crash bars; Sargent seat, Aeroflow Tall windscreen.
I haven't committed yet, may still go with the NAV6, but since BMW is charging 2x over market for a motorcycle GPS, and that device has been buggy from start to end, I'm reticent to buy one. When it comes to bugs, I just don't trust BMW (or their supplier Garmin) to adequately back the product. I mean, what has it been, SEVEN YEARS now, and they're still ironing out issues? WTH?!馃槻馃檮馃槚

...and yet, the nav unit works so much better than their bluetooth!!!

BMW does not understand user friendly, reliable electronics. They also take an eon to improve anything. Usually, you need to buy 2 models newer to get real improvement...and sometimes even then, they're problematic.

I love my RT, but I bluetooth my phone directly to my Cardo. Sound quality is twice as good. It's not worth having sound you can barely listen to for the convenience of using the wheel to skip songs. I bought a handlebar mount for my phone. I use that to change tunes on long trips.

I've had Nav V1 replaced only once, but it acts funny if it gets too much heat/sun on the screen. I have a shelf mounted over the top and that helps. I also put my helmet between the bars and jacket over the top of my windscreen when I park outside to keep the screen out of direct sunlight when the bike is parked. Maybe it helps a little?

:alien:

Reactions: Scott9999

Registered
Well, everyone can tell me I am nuts with this answer but....I have a 2018 K1600 GA with a nav 6 and a 2020 RT with the same, two bikes, two nav 6. This summer the Nav on the GA started flickering, changing pages and doing really strange things. Tried what I thought was everything, nothing worked. I then had the attitude I would have to send the unit in for repair. Sometime later while riding the RT with a different newer Nav 6, the same thing happened with it. Flickering, page turning, weird things. Then I remember something I read a couple years ago, so I cleaned the screen, washed off the finger prints. Problem solved on both bikes. This has happened again and seems to be worse in cold weather with the sun shining on the screen, but cleaning works every time.

Am I nuts, am I having the same issue as you guys, tell me what you think.

Registered
2018 R1200RT
Well, everyone can tell me I am nuts with this answer but....I have a 2018 K1600 GA with a nav 6 and a 2020 RT with the same, two bikes, two nav 6. This summer the Nav on the GA started flickering, changing pages and doing really strange things. Tried what I thought was everything, nothing worked. I then had the attitude I would have to send the unit in for repair. Sometime later while riding the RT with a different newer Nav 6, the same thing happened with it. Flickering, page turning, weird things. Then I remember something I read a couple years ago, so I cleaned the screen, washed off the finger prints. Problem solved on both bikes. This has happened again and seems to be worse in cold weather with the sun shining on the screen, but cleaning works every time.

Am I nuts, am I having the same issue as you guys, tell me what you think.
Have read the same thing from other users. Screen is so sensitive, the application loses "state" info, i.e. it doesn't know whether it's coming or going, whether the finger prints and smudges are "now" or just dirt. Too sensitive, or not sensitive enough to tell the difference, one or the other. (Don't have the NAV6, just responding that no, you're not nuts, it's BMW-common, or "TADT" (they all do that). 馃槒

1 - 20 of 21 Posts